buying / renting cars in America

Old March 29th, 2004, 08:14 PM
Not the Karl Orff

Default buying / renting cars in America

In article ,
(gman99) wrote:

Nope...provincial responsibility

so that minimum is in you rprovince, and not mine.
Old March 29th, 2004, 08:42 PM
gman99

Not the Karl Orff wrote:
In article ,
(gman99) wrote:

Nope...provincial responsibility

so that minimum is in you rprovince, and not mine.

I checked NS, it's $200 K here as well. Didn't bother checking any other...
Old March 30th, 2004, 07:00 AM
Frank F. Matthews

Not the Karl Orff wrote:

In article ,
Scottish Quilter wrote:

Definitely if you are renting ( and the consensus on the ng seems to
be you should) arrange it here in the UK------------Trailfinders will
find you a good rate. The insurance issue is easier solved here as
many US citizens Credit Card covers them and ours don't over there!

Just a note, the credit cards only cover damage to the rental car, maybe
personals belongings and some others. NOT liability which is the biggie.

Are there rentals out there that don't cover liability? FFM

Old March 30th, 2004, 04:11 PM
Not the Karl Orff

In article ,
"Frank F. Matthews" wrote:

Not the Karl Orff wrote:

In article ,
Scottish Quilter wrote:

Definitely if you are renting ( and the consensus on the ng seems to
be you should) arrange it here in the UK------------Trailfinders will
find you a good rate. The insurance issue is easier solved here as
many US citizens Credit Card covers them and ours don't over there!

Just a note, the credit cards only cover damage to the rental car, maybe
personals belongings and some others. NOT liability which is the biggie.

Are there rentals out there that don't cover liability? FFM

I don't know. The question is even if there is, is there enough?
$40k doesn't cover much for injuries to a 3rd party, or 3rd parties.
Also, damage to another car.
Old April 2nd, 2004, 10:41 AM
BrianH

Presumably you will be staying somewhere - hotel, hostel with a friend -
when you buy the car. So you have an address.

My situation was not the same, but when I relocated from one Canadian
city to another, mu company paid for me to stay in a hotel for a while.
I registered my car using the street address of the hotel, and instead
of the room number used "unit nnn". It worked fine, and I arranged
insurance this way. If you are likely to move on you could get a Post
Office box in order to receive mail, and say that this is what should be
used for your mailing address.

Remember to use the street address, not the name of the hotel/hostel.
In my case I even managed to get parking permits based on the fact that
my address was downtown. When I boughta house, I just changed address;
some of these techniques may work for you.

Smiley wrote:
you need a US address to put a plate and insurance on a car

try www.alamo.com for rental

johnlawson wrote:

Hi,

I'm arriving (from Edinburgh, Scotland) in Chicago on April 23 to
drive Route 66. I haven't booked a rental car yet and wondered if anyone
could avise me on the best / cheapest way to do this.

Most companies
charge a $500 one way rental fee, on top of the weekly rate, as the car
will be delivered to Los Angeles.

Would it be possible for me to buy a
cheap car and insure it for three weeks?

My ideal car would be American
(of course) a little old and dented but secure and reliable. (I know,
I've seen too many movies).

Any advice?

John.

Old April 3rd, 2004, 12:15 AM
ML

gman99 wrote:
The rental company is responsible for carrying liability coverage on all
their cars.

Whenever I have rented a car, every contract has stated that the rental
company does not provide insurance coverage of any kind unless you pay
extra for it. The insurance policies that U.S. drivers have on their own
cars usually also covers liability when they are driving a rental car, so
usually all they need to worry about is damage to the rental car, and many
credit card companies cover that as secondary insurance. Don't assume that
the rental includes any insurance unless it says it does or you paid extra
for it.

Mary

Old April 3rd, 2004, 05:21 AM
Mark Brader

The rental company is responsible for carrying liability coverage on all
their cars.

Whenever I have rented a car, every contract has stated that the rental
company does not provide insurance coverage of any kind unless you pay
extra for it.

In most cases when I have rented a car in the US or Canada, the contract
*has* included proper liability coverage. But not always. State laws
are different, and may change over time -- this is something you have
to check when arranging the specific rental.

For example, http://www.hertz.com/help_11/faq/quotereserve_224.jsp says
# The provisions of liability protection vary from state to state and
# country to country. In the U.S., Hertz provides at no extra charge, on
# either a primary or secondary basis, depending on the state (except
# for California), basic liability protection for bodily injury and
# property damage to third parties within limits when the car is used in
# accordance with all terms and conditions of the rental agreement.

But note the word "basic"; in some places, "basic" protection may not
be sufficient.

The insurance policies that U.S. drivers have on their own cars usually
also covers liability when they are driving a rental car...

And the coverage that comes with the rental car may be secondary, meaning
that it only covers you in the event that you don't have such coverage
already.

Don't assume that the rental includes any insurance unless it says
it does or you paid extra for it.

Always a good idea.
--
Mark Brader, Toronto,
"Have you ever heard [my honesty] questioned?"

Old April 4th, 2004, 08:52 PM
gman99

ML wrote:
gman99 wrote:
The rental company is responsible for carrying liability coverage on
all their cars.

Whenever I have rented a car, every contract has stated that the rental
company does not provide insurance coverage of any kind unless you pay
extra for it. The insurance policies that U.S. drivers have on their own
cars usually also covers liability when they are driving a rental car, so
usually all they need to worry about is damage to the rental car, and
many credit card companies cover that as secondary insurance. Don't
assume that the rental includes any insurance unless it says it does or
you paid extra for it.

Mary

Not sure where you are but the car (where required) must be insured
otherwise it wouldn't be able to leave the lot.
Old April 5th, 2004, 12:00 AM
Keith Willshaw

"gman99" wrote in message
ML wrote:
gman99 wrote:
The rental company is responsible for carrying liability coverage on
all their cars.

Whenever I have rented a car, every contract has stated that the rental
company does not provide insurance coverage of any kind unless you pay
extra for it. The insurance policies that U.S. drivers have on their

own
cars usually also covers liability when they are driving a rental car,

so
usually all they need to worry about is damage to the rental car, and
many credit card companies cover that as secondary insurance. Don't
assume that the rental includes any insurance unless it says it does or
you paid extra for it.

Mary

Not sure where you are but the car (where required) must be insured
otherwise it wouldn't be able to leave the lot.

The insurance required is the minimum required by the state.
This is typically only a rather inadequate third party insurance
only. Damage to the vehicle is not covered, the exception being
cars rented in the state of New York IRC

Keith