going from US to South Africa, help to unlock/get better rates, please

Old July 29th, 2004, 12:51 AM
H. David Pembrook

Default going from US to South Africa, help to unlock/get better rates, please

I would really appreciate any help on this!

http://www.telestial.com/

These guys are in San Diego and can fix you up with an unlocked cell phone.
They also sell the cards for most of the countries in the world so you can
switch it as you travel.

They offer many other services.

~~~~~
"When a true genius appears in the world,
you may know him by this sign, that the dunces
are all in confederacy against him."

- Jonathan Swift

Old July 29th, 2004, 12:54 AM
H. David Pembrook

http://www.telestial.com/products/safrica_sim.htm

Why pay $1.99/minute for the same call that you can have for $0.19 with a South
Africa SIM card? Get your phone number before you leave and be available for
pennies/minute and not dollars. And with the money you save you’ll be able to
upgrade to a better cell phone J

Although Telestial refers to this prepaid SIM card as the South Africa prepaid
SIM card it is actually called (as stated in the title), in South Africa, the
Pay as you Go South Africa SIM card.

A Pay as you Go South Africa prepaid SIM chip is a quick and easy way to
convert your existing GSM world phone into a prepaid South Africa cell phone
for South Africa and as discussed is more economical then a South Africa cell
phone rental. For your next assignment or vacation in South Africa, the Pay as
you Go prepaid SIM chip helps you stay connected while avoiding those
international roaming surcharges that always accompany your ‘home’ SIM card
while abroad. We offer a growing selection of prepaid sim cards for other
international destinations as well as a wide variety of GSM cell phone
accessories and GSM international cell phones.
~~~~~

Old July 30th, 2004, 01:10 AM
Dave Patterson

"H. David Pembrook" wrote:

http://www.telestial.com/products/safrica_sim.htm

This is a great web site to learn how SIM cards and GSM
phones can be used here in the US and in other countries.
Check the links for lots of strong factual info.

Why pay $1.99/minute for the same call that you can have for $0.19 with a South
Africa SIM card?

This is the only point that deserves a little disagreement.
Cell phones are available free with most car rentals,
except you pay an 'insurance' fee of about a dollar a day
(or a little more, depending on the exchange rate)
Actual per minute charges in my experiences twice a year
for the past several years have been 23 to 30 cents a minute.

But, H. David is right. If you have a tri-band phone from
your US cell service provider, get them to unlock the SIM
card and either buy a pre-paid card from his vendor in San Diego and
take it with you or buy one when you get there. Might be
good to be sure (if you use his) that MTN serves the area
you will visit. Vodacom is another big company there and
perhaps Telestial sells their cards, too. But MTN did not
work for me in certain parts of Mpumalunga when I was
there a couple of times in 2002.

Old July 30th, 2004, 11:07 AM
Marc Lurie

Vodacom and MTN are the two largest GSM network providers in South
Africa. Most of the country is covered by both of these networks,
however there are some areas that are covered better by on than the
other.

A better alternative might be Cell C. They have a sharing agreement
with both Vodacom and MTN, so there is almost always coverage.

I'd suggest that buying a card here is the easiest option. There is a
store at the airport in Johannesburg, right at the arrivals area.

Regards,
Marc - Johannesburg