Travel Socks

Old August 4th, 2004, 07:36 AM
tslugmo

Default Travel Socks

I was wondering if anybody had recommendations for travel socks. Might
sound silly, but there are about 10,000 different socks out there to
choose from, and I figured some must be better than others. I've heard
good things about Wigwam and Smartwool, but these brands offer about a
thousand models to choose from, with very little to differentiate them in
their descriptions.

First of all, they can't be cotton, because they must be quick drying.
I'm assuming that thicker is better for travel during colder weather, as
this would provide more insulation. I'm assuming thinner is better for
hot weather. I'm assuming thicker is better for padding during long days
of walking around Europe with a backpack on. Besides that, I'm pretty
lost. I see some people using liners to cut down on blisters, but I've
never had much of a problem with that.

Anyway, TIA for any advice.

-tslug

Old August 4th, 2004, 03:48 PM
Miguel Cruz

tslugmo wrote:
I was wondering if anybody had recommendations for travel socks. Might
sound silly, but there are about 10,000 different socks out there to
choose from, and I figured some must be better than others. I've heard
good things about Wigwam and Smartwool, but these brands offer about a
thousand models to choose from, with very little to differentiate them in
their descriptions.

First of all, they can't be cotton, because they must be quick drying.
I'm assuming that thicker is better for travel during colder weather, as
this would provide more insulation. I'm assuming thinner is better for
hot weather. I'm assuming thicker is better for padding during long days
of walking around Europe with a backpack on. Besides that, I'm pretty
lost. I see some people using liners to cut down on blisters, but I've
never had much of a problem with that.

Travel socks? Unless you have a specific problem that causes you to require
special socks, why not just use the same socks that serve you well when
performing similar activities (walking, sitting, talking) in the rest of
your life? Feet work the same everywhere.

What's next? Travel dental floss ("specially coated to get out those pesky
European food particles")? Travel deodorant ("when in Rome, smell like a
Roman!")?

It's amazing how consumers have been trained to think they need a new
product every time they turn around.

miguel

Old August 4th, 2004, 03:59 PM
mhicaoidh

Taking a moment's reflection, tslugmo mused:

| I was wondering if anybody had recommendations for travel socks.

I never had much luck with liner socks and what not. But, I've done a
lot of hiking (on several continents) in Thorlo hiking crew socks, and love
them. They are a medium weight, so they are good for warmer and cooler
weather. The first link that came up in Google was one for REI. So, you
can check the socks out he http://tinyurl.com/5b2l9

Regarding thicker versus thinner, bear in mind that a thicker sock will
decrease the amount of foot room, and increase the pressure on the foot
surface. A thinner sock can have the opposite effect, and open the door for
blisters due to increased movement. General advice is to find some socks to
hike it, and then wear them when you go buy your boots.

Old August 4th, 2004, 03:59 PM
mhicaoidh

Old August 4th, 2004, 04:18 PM

I was wondering if anybody had recommendations for travel socks. Might
sound silly, but there are about 10,000 different socks out there to
choose from, and I figured some must be better than others. I've heard
good things about Wigwam and Smartwool, but these brands offer about a
thousand models to choose from, with very little to differentiate them in
their descriptions.

Agree with you 10 percent on above!!

Here are some Im looking at

made by Tilley. Same people who make Tiley hats

http://tinyurl.com/3jsge
Old August 4th, 2004, 06:04 PM
tslugmo

I understand what you're saying, Miguel, but I prefer cotton socks when
I'm at home, because I have unlimited access to a washer and dryer. On
the road, however, I don't have that luxury. So I need to use socks made
of quick drying material that won't turn hard and crusty from air drying
like cotton gym socks. If you've ever tried to air dry Foot Locker socks,
you know that they take well over a day to dry, which doesn't work when
you're hopping from place to place in Europe. I also spend much more of
my day on my feet when I'm traveling, versus my normal daily routine which
involves quite a bit more sitting in front of a computer. Some of the
clearanced socks at REI are $3/pair, which I consider a small investment
to help make sure my trip is a good one. Wet or uncomfortable socks can
definitely ruin your day. This is the voice of experience.

-tslug

Old August 5th, 2004, 05:36 AM
Mimi Forsyth

There are dual layer socks for hikers that discourage blisters. I don't know
where they are found.

www.mimiforsyth.com

Old August 5th, 2004, 05:37 AM
Miguel Cruz

tslugmo wrote:
I understand what you're saying, Miguel, but I prefer cotton socks when
I'm at home, because I have unlimited access to a washer and dryer. On
the road, however, I don't have that luxury. So I need to use socks made
of quick drying material that won't turn hard and crusty from air drying
like cotton gym socks. If you've ever tried to air dry Foot Locker socks,
you know that they take well over a day to dry, which doesn't work when
you're hopping from place to place in Europe. I also spend much more of
my day on my feet when I'm traveling, versus my normal daily routine which
involves quite a bit more sitting in front of a computer. Some of the
clearanced socks at REI are $3/pair, which I consider a small investment
to help make sure my trip is a good one. Wet or uncomfortable socks can
definitely ruin your day. This is the voice of experience.

I guess. I travel for much (often most) of the year, and when I have free
time (i.e., vacation trips, or weekends on business travel) my favorite
thing is to walk an unfamiliar place from morning until night (a nice
12-hour walk does me right). Black cotton, slightly-cushioned Hanes socks,
$7 for a 6-pack at Target, have served me well for years. Wash a few in the
evening with the hotel soap, wring 'em out a bit, roll them in a spare towel
for a minute or two, drape them over a chair near the A/C or window, and by
the next evening they're dry and ready to go. Takes about 5 minutes of
actual work for a whole load.

Now it's entirely possible that I've missed out on a whole world of advanced
sockly splendor, but I must say I have no complaints so far.

miguel