What countries have the best exchange rate for the dollar?

Old September 27th, 2003, 04:32 AM
King

Default What countries have the best exchange rate for the dollar?

Hi,
I'm planning on traveling the world over the next year.....
One of my criteria is to travel to countries that have a good exchange rate
with the US dollar. That way I can get more for my dollar.
Anyone know a website where I can find this info? I've searched
unsuccessfully thru google.
Obviously I didn't put in the right words. No use going somewhere where my
money doesn't go very far (obviously everyone is different......this is a
matter of opinion).
Thanks
Mike

Old September 27th, 2003, 05:07 AM
Spehro Pefhany

On Sat, 27 Sep 2003 03:32:28 GMT, the renowned "King"
wrote:

Hi,
I'm planning on traveling the world over the next year.....
One of my criteria is to travel to countries that have a good exchange rate
with the US dollar. That way I can get more for my dollar.
Anyone know a website where I can find this info? I've searched
unsuccessfully thru google.
Obviously I didn't put in the right words. No use going somewhere where my
money doesn't go very far (obviously everyone is different......this is a
matter of opinion).

Well, try _The Economist_ for the Big Mac index. It's not always
indicative, but perhaps more so for a traveller than the cost
comparisons of capitals that tend to be aimed at padding Ex-pat
expense accounts and housing allowances.

It would be a shame if you missed some really great places because the
cost of living happens to be two or three times that of the cheaper
ones- maybe just limit your time there and camp on the beach for a bit
longer in the cheaper oens.

Best regards,
Spehro Pefhany
Old September 27th, 2003, 05:32 AM
Douglas S. Ladden

The Terran carbon-based unit designating itself as "King"
shared its ideas in rec.travel.latin-america
on Sat, 27 Sep 2003 03:32:28 GMT:

Hi,
I'm planning on traveling the world over the next year.....
One of my criteria is to travel to countries that have a good
exchange rate with the US dollar. That way I can get more for my
dollar.

This is a fallacy, since exchange rates have little to do with
relative costs. You have to look deeper at the things you are
interested in doing and purchasing, and comparing the actual costs of
those items. The exchange rate is really irrelevant.

Your best resource for relative costs, might be the U.S.
Government's Maximum per diem rates established for each country. And
for some countries, it is actually broken down into specific cities. It
is a long document, but fairly complete. You can see these rates he
http://www.state.gov/m/a/als/prdm/2003/23594.htm.

Anyone know a website where I can find this info? I've
searched unsuccessfully thru google.

www.oanda.com/convert/classic is one of the best Currency
Converters I've found.

Obviously I didn't put in the right words. No use going somewhere
where my money doesn't go very far (obviously everyone is
different......this is a matter of opinion).

Again, exchange rates won't really tell you much about actual
costs in the country you are visiting.

--Douglas
Old September 27th, 2003, 07:35 AM
Markku Grönroos

Typically exchange rates are floating projections from one currency to
another. Therefore they say little if anything about standard of costs in a
region in which whatever currency is in use. Naturally in the Communist
countries they followed a practice of several rates for a "hard currency".
One and the lousiest of them was the "tourist rate", which was fixed by the
government and was a lot inferior to the market rate (whatever that was).
For instance the GDR fixed their monopoly money 1:1 rate with the
Bundesmark. West German banks used the rate 1:9 or 1:10 in the famous year
of 1989 when GDR collapsed.............

For instance in Latin American countries both inflation and it's more or
less direct implication of the decline of the external value of the currency
can be extraordinarily fast making things a bit complicated. For intance
until 1981 Mexican peso was fixed to US dollar by 1:21 or 1:23 rate (can't
recall which). In summer 1984 a buck bought about 200 pesos and in summer
1986 some 600 pesos and in the end of that year some 1000 pesos.

In developing countries imported goods are typically about as expensive as
in the high cost countries because the raw price is [typically] about the
same anyways. The logistics structure may be somewhat more economical but on
the other hand import duties may raise the price at border well beyond
anything rational. Domestically made goods on the other hand are typically
cheap and often very cheap compared to the developed countries with similar
products.

Continentwise (extremely rough base for comparisons) Asia is the cheapest
for travellers. Naturally countries like Japan, Korea and Taiwan don't
follow the line.

ink.net...

Old September 27th, 2003, 03:13 PM
really man

I'm planning on traveling the world over the next year.....
One of my criteria is to travel to countries that have a good exchange rate
with the US dollar. That way I can get more for my dollar.

What a sad criteria to use for a world trip.
You must be american

What a poor display of snobbery.
You must be European.

Old September 27th, 2003, 03:22 PM
Dieter A

"King" schreef in bericht
ink.net...
Hi,
I'm planning on traveling the world over the next year.....
One of my criteria is to travel to countries that have a good exchange

rate
with the US dollar. That way I can get more for my dollar.
Mike

You must be joking.
Never heared of people, culture, nature, ... ?

Please help me to understand how they brainwash people in the US on this
way...

Old September 27th, 2003, 03:42 PM
really man

You must be joking.
Never heared of people, culture, nature, ... ?

Never heard of reading comprehension? "One of my criteria..." does not mean "my sole criterion".

Please help me to understand how they brainwash people in the US on this way...

I would, ordinarily, but it would be wasted on a Belgian.

-Chris

Old September 27th, 2003, 09:06 PM
James Blanford

In article ,
really man writes:
I'm planning on traveling the world over the next year.....
One of my criteria is to travel to countries that have a good exchange rate
with the US dollar. That way I can get more for my dollar.

What a sad criteria to use for a world trip.
You must be american

What a poor display of snobbery.
You must be European.

Hey, don't make fun of such an obviously intelligent person. All he had
to go on was the reference to US dollars, the statement that he wanted
value for "my dollar" and an email address from one of the major ISPs in
the US and he narrowed it down to someone from the western hemisphere.

BTW, there are plenty of snobs in the US, so being a snob is no longer
an exclusively European attribute, although they don't teach snobbery in
public schools yet.

- Jim

- Jim
Old September 27th, 2003, 09:10 PM
James Blanford

In article ,
"Dieter A" Dieter writes:

Please help me to understand how they brainwash people in the US on this
way...

You might want to study a little bit about Joseph Goebbels, generally
considered the "father" of propaganda and brainwashing.
Old September 27th, 2003, 09:34 PM
Gerry Scott-Moore

In article 59mdb.7177$Rd4.603@fed1read07, James Blanford
wrote:

Please help me to understand how they brainwash people in the US on this
way...

You might want to study a little bit about Joseph Goebbels, generally
considered the "father" of propaganda and brainwashing.

Excellent reference. The lessons learned from the Third Reich were very
helpful in constructing the extremely sophisticated forms of propaganda
that we have made a critical reality in Unitedstatesian political life.
Goebbels was crude by modern standards.

Endlessly viewed television, endlessly corrupted "news" papers,
magazines, and the 500-lb gorilla--Talk Radio. 100% fascist, 100%
agitprop, 24 hours a day. On *thousands* of stations.

The fascinating thing is that beyond a certain point the targets begin
dissemination of propaganda themselves. Endless "political opinions"
recited straight from fascist radio at the water-cooler like they just
thought it up; like it's *their* opinion. And this too converts other
people to do what every good honest Unitedstatesian attempts to do:
believe what they are told. We assume only the "other party" are the
liars, when we're both taking water from the same tap.

The words "conservative", "liberal", "tax", "welfare", mean almost
nothing or are used to label the diametrically opposite approach.
"Leave no child behind" is the slogan for cutting billions of dollars
in education. And so forth.

Back to the original post. Who wouldn't I want to go to the place
where I can get the most from my meager moneys? I don't see how that's
snobbery. That's minimizing my penury. I'd rather have two weeks in
some place pretty interesting than 2 days in some place pretty
interesting.

--
///---