Train ride from Anatalya (Turkey) to Marseille (France) ?

Old June 30th, 2009, 12:32 AM posted to rec.travel.europe
shoosh

Default Train ride from Anatalya (Turkey) to Marseille (France) ?

I'm looking for some guidance on planning a trip from Anatalya to
Marseille.
I need to make this distance in about 5-6 days approximately during
24-30 of September.
Is this at all possible to do with just trains and buses in this time
frame?

I'm not looking for a plane ride because I need to burn these 6 days
somehow and I think a land trip could be interesting.
Is traveling by train and bus going to be more expensive than taking a
flight?
What train companies should I look into?
Should I order tickets in advance?

I would appreciate any information you can give me.
Shy.
Old June 30th, 2009, 01:23 AM posted to rec.travel.europe
Jack Campin - bogus address

I'm looking for some guidance on planning a trip from Anatalya to
Marseille.

Antalya. (No railway line there yet).

I need to make this distance in about 5-6 days approximately during
24-30 of September.
Is this at all possible to do with just trains and buses in this time
frame?

Yes.

I'm not looking for a plane ride because I need to burn these 6 days
somehow and I think a land trip could be interesting.
Is traveling by train and bus going to be more expensive than taking
a flight?

More expensive than the cheapest flights, maybe not more expensive
than a regular scheduled full-price flight.

Should I order tickets in advance?

You should book the leg between Ankara and Istanbul, that one's
often full. Or you could take your time and go by bus via Fethiye,
the Aegean region, Bursa and the Bandirma-Istanbul ferry.

==== j a c k at c a m p i n . m e . u k === http://www.campin.me.uk ====
****** I killfile Google posts - email me if you want to be whitelisted ******
Old June 30th, 2009, 10:29 AM posted to rec.travel.europe
[email protected]

What train companies should I look into?

bahn.de
Click "Karte anzeigen"
http://tinyurl.com/nxfl4f
http://tinyurl.com/lqklmx
http://tinyurl.com/mrdmvr

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Or...s_histoire.png
Old June 30th, 2009, 11:33 AM posted to rec.travel.europe
tim.....

"Jack Campin - bogus address" wrote in message
I'm looking for some guidance on planning a trip from Anatalya to
Marseille.

Antalya. (No railway line there yet).

I need to make this distance in about 5-6 days approximately during
24-30 of September.
Is this at all possible to do with just trains and buses in this time
frame?

Yes.

I'm not looking for a plane ride because I need to burn these 6 days
somehow and I think a land trip could be interesting.
Is traveling by train and bus going to be more expensive than taking
a flight?

More expensive than the cheapest flights, maybe not more expensive
than a regular scheduled full-price flight.

Should I order tickets in advance?

You should book the leg between Ankara and Istanbul, that one's

Why would he need an Ankara-Istanbul leg

It's just as easy to get a bus from Anatalya to Istanbul than to Ankara

http://www.varan.com.tr/images/HaritaicB.jpg

tim

Old June 30th, 2009, 01:17 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
Jack Campin - bogus address

Should I order tickets in advance?
You should book the leg between Ankara and Istanbul

Why would he need an Ankara-Istanbul leg
It's just as easy to get a bus from Anatalya to Istanbul than to Ankara

The subject line suggested he was trying to stay on trains as much
as possible.

Old June 30th, 2009, 02:00 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
tim.....

"Jack Campin - bogus address" wrote in message
Should I order tickets in advance?
You should book the leg between Ankara and Istanbul

Why would he need an Ankara-Istanbul leg
It's just as easy to get a bus from Anatalya to Istanbul than to Ankara

The subject line suggested he was trying to stay on trains as much
as possible.

But you said that he has to get the bus from Anatalya anyway.
Even if he gets the bus to the nearest main station (which seems to be
Afyon), it is still easer to get a train direct to Istanbul than to Ankara

tim

Old June 30th, 2009, 02:09 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
David Horne, _the_ chancellor[_2_]

tim..... wrote:

"Jack Campin - bogus address" wrote in message
Should I order tickets in advance?
You should book the leg between Ankara and Istanbul
Why would he need an Ankara-Istanbul leg
It's just as easy to get a bus from Anatalya to Istanbul than to Ankara

The subject line suggested he was trying to stay on trains as much
as possible.

But you said that he has to get the bus from Anatalya anyway.
Even if he gets the bus to the nearest main station (which seems to be
Afyon), it is still easer to get a train direct to Istanbul than to Ankara

It doesn't really matter what the subject line may or may have
suggested- the OP makes it clear that he's considering both train and
bus, and that it's the "landtrip" which is desireable...

--
(*) of the royal duchy of city south and deansgate
www.davidhorne.net (email address on website)
Old June 30th, 2009, 02:14 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
Lennart Petersen

"Jack Campin - bogus address" skrev i meddelandet
Should I order tickets in advance?
You should book the leg between Ankara and Istanbul

Why would he need an Ankara-Istanbul leg
It's just as easy to get a bus from Anatalya to Istanbul than to Ankara

The subject line suggested he was trying to stay on trains as much
as possible.

----
But then, for a shorter bus ride, he could take a bus for Konya.
There's a night train from Konya to Istanbul.