Saint-Petersburg Visa Free

Old January 18th, 2010, 08:07 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
[email protected]

Default Saint-Petersburg Visa Free

The respective changes in Russian Legislation have been adopted with
the support of Saint-Petersburg City Government. In accordance with
the revised law visa free regime will be extended for ferry passengers
of all nationalities traveling to the ports of Russian Federation.
http://stpeterline.com/index_en.html
http://www.faktaomfartyg.se/finlandia_1981.htm
http://www.faktaomfartyg.se/rederier_lis.htm
Old January 18th, 2010, 08:24 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
Hatunen

On Mon, 18 Jan 2010 12:07:32 -0800 (PST), "
wrote:

The respective changes in Russian Legislation have been adopted with
the support of Saint-Petersburg City Government. In accordance with
the revised law visa free regime will be extended for ferry passengers
of all nationalities traveling to the ports of Russian Federation.
http://stpeterline.com/index_en.html
http://www.faktaomfartyg.se/finlandia_1981.htm
http://www.faktaomfartyg.se/rederier_lis.htm

I think a few details are missing. How long is the visa-free
entry allowed (I seem to find 72 hours)? Does the visitor have
freedom of movement or must he follow some sort of guided tour?

Old January 18th, 2010, 08:29 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
David Horne, _the_ chancellor[_2_]

wrote:

The respective changes in Russian Legislation have been adopted with
the support of Saint-Petersburg City Government. In accordance with
the revised law visa free regime will be extended for ferry passengers
of all nationalities traveling to the ports of Russian Federation.
http://stpeterline.com/index_en.html
http://www.faktaomfartyg.se/finlandia_1981.htm
http://www.faktaomfartyg.se/rederier_lis.htm

I think a few details are missing. How long is the visa-free
entry allowed (I seem to find 72 hours)? Does the visitor have
freedom of movement or must he follow some sort of guided tour?

I was 30 miles from the Russian border most of this week (Kotka)- so
near yet so far...

--
(*) of the royal duchy of city south and deansgate
www.davidhorne.net (email address on website)
Old January 18th, 2010, 09:06 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
[email protected]

http://tinyurl.com/ybdocnq
http://www.infoflotforum.ru/index.php?showtopic=29487
Old January 18th, 2010, 09:15 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
Hatunen

wrote:

The respective changes in Russian Legislation have been adopted with
the support of Saint-Petersburg City Government. In accordance with
the revised law visa free regime will be extended for ferry passengers
of all nationalities traveling to the ports of Russian Federation.
http://stpeterline.com/index_en.html
http://www.faktaomfartyg.se/finlandia_1981.htm
http://www.faktaomfartyg.se/rederier_lis.htm

I think a few details are missing. How long is the visa-free
entry allowed (I seem to find 72 hours)? Does the visitor have
freedom of movement or must he follow some sort of guided tour?

I was 30 miles from the Russian border most of this week (Kotka)- so
near yet so far...

I visit Helsinki every few years but have been reluctant to spend
either the time and money to get a visa for a few day's visit or
to take an organized visa-free cruise with organized on the
ground tours. I might be willing to take the train to St
Petersburg (as was also being considered) even if I do have to
stay with a tour group. But on the cruises one spends one's
nights on the ship; it's not clear where one spends the night on
a train or ferry visit.

Unfortunately, www.vr.fi gives no indication of visa-free train
travel to Russia.

Old January 18th, 2010, 09:17 PM posted to rec.travel.europe

wrote:

[...]

GIven the relatively short distance, it sounds a bit like a pain in the
arse of a train trip. I asked my driver from Helsinki airport if he'd
ever ventured to Russia. He just laughed.

Old January 18th, 2010, 09:27 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
Hatunen

wrote:

[...]

The Finnish rail site www.vr.fi makes it sound simple: buy a
ticket and board the train. But I suppose the pain in the ass
comes from securing a visa.

I asked my driver from Helsinki airport if he'd
ever ventured to Russia. He just laughed.

Well, sure. The Russians come to Helsinki instead.

Old January 18th, 2010, 09:28 PM posted to rec.travel.europe

Hatunen wrote:

On Mon, 18 Jan 2010 21:17:45 +0000, (David
Horne, _the_ chancellor (*)) wrote:

[]
I asked my driver from Helsinki airport if he'd
ever ventured to Russia. He just laughed.

Well, sure. The Russians come to Helsinki instead.

I wasn't in Helsinki, but plenty of Russians even in Kotka. Is it easier
for them to come, or they don't mind the hassle?

Old January 18th, 2010, 09:57 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
[email protected]

stay with a tour group. But on the cruises one spends one's
nights on the ship; it's not clear where one spends the night on
a train or ferry visit.

I don't think there is guided tours for 72 hours.
One hotel is 20 meters from the ferry, just
above customs.
http://newsletter.infoflot.ru/Articles/Julia/4973.JPG
http://www.hotelclub.net/hotel.reser...Petersburg.htm