London at Easter

Old March 24th, 2009, 08:52 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
EvelynVogtGamble(Divamanque)

Default London at Easter

Ian F. wrote:
"Tom P" wrote in message

Can someone clarify whether stores are open and on which days over
Easter?
The Tripadvisor site http://tinyurl.com/dyfwcd says that stores close
on Easter Sunday, but Harrods http://tinyurl.com/c48b5e appears to be
open.

I think it would be most unlikely that any major stores will be open on
Easter Sunday.

Ian

Even in the U.S. where Commerce is God, most major stores close on
Easter Sunday and Christmas Day.
Old March 24th, 2009, 10:15 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
David Horne, _the_ chancellor[_2_]

Martin wrote:

[]
If you are an atheist you should be allowed to open 24/7

I'd replace "an atheist" with "anyone"! Easter is a particularly
meaningless holiday for most people in the UK, though 'spring breaks'
are usually welcome then...

We'll be in Valencia enjoying 2nd hand smoke during Easter.

--
(*) of the royal duchy of city south and deansgate
www.davidhorne.net (email address on website)
Old March 24th, 2009, 11:08 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
nightjar

"Martin" wrote in message
On Tue, 24 Mar 2009 18:49:07 -0000, "nightjar" cpb@insert my surname
here.me.uk wrote:

"William Black" wrote in message

"JohnT" wrote in message
"Martin" wrote in message
On Tue, 24 Mar 2009 13:06:36 -0000, "JohnT"

wrote:

"Tom P" wrote in message
Can someone clarify whether stores are open and on which days over
Easter?
The Tripadvisor site http://tinyurl.com/dyfwcd says that stores
close
on
Easter Sunday, but Harrods http://tinyurl.com/c48b5e appears to be
open.

Thanks
T.

Shops in England which have trading space of more than 3000 square
feet
(which, of course, includes H A Rods) are not allowed to open at all
on
Christmas Day or Easter Sunday.

H A Rods is owned by a non Christian and so is excluded?

Certainly, but only if his restaurants and cafés don't serve any food
or
drink until sundown during Ramahdan. Similarly, M&S would have to close
on Saturdays.

As far as I'm aware M&S is a company quoted on the London Stock Exchange
and is no longer owned by a single family.

As such I don't think it's entitled to the special dispensations given
businesses operated by a specific religion.

If the majority of directors are 'persons who observe the Jewish Sabbath,
then any large store owned by a company can open on a Sunday without
restriction. However, it also has to close on the Jewish Sabbath to
qualify.

What about stores owned by Muslims?

The Sunday Trading Act 1994 only made provisions for shops occupied by
people who observe the Jewish Sabbath. Later legislation may have modified
the Act, but I've not found evidence of that on a fairly cursory search.

Colin Bignell

Old March 25th, 2009, 11:43 AM posted to rec.travel.europe
William Black

"Martin" wrote in message
On Tue, 24 Mar 2009 23:08:35 -0000, "nightjar" cpb@insert my surname
here.me.uk wrote:

. ..

"JohnT" wrote in message
"Martin" wrote in message
On Tue, 24 Mar 2009 13:06:36 -0000, "JohnT"

wrote:

"Tom P" wrote in message
.. .
[...]

Don't Muslims observe the Jewish Sabbath too?

Friday not Saturday.

--
William Black

Time for tea.

Old March 25th, 2009, 12:37 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
Ian F.

"William Black" wrote in message

Friday not Saturday.

Jewish sabbath is Friday sundown to Saturday sundown.

Ian

Old March 25th, 2009, 03:19 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
Jack Campin - bogus address

Jewish sabbath is Friday sundown to Saturday sundown.
Does that overlap with what Muslims do?

Yes - the evening Friday prayer at the mosque is the most important
of the week for a lot of Muslims, and it takes place at the time
the Jewish sabbath is starting. Islam is a lot more heterogeneous
than Judaism or Christianity, though - some Muslims think all prayer
times are equally important, others don't go to mosques to pray and
may have a different timetable.

==== j a c k at c a m p i n . m e . u k === http://www.campin.me.uk ====
Old March 25th, 2009, 03:22 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
William Black

"Martin" wrote in message
On Wed, 25 Mar 2009 12:37:35 -0000, "Ian F."
wrote:

"William Black" wrote in message

Friday not Saturday.

Jewish sabbath is Friday sundown to Saturday sundown.

Does that overlap with what Muslims do?

No idea.

--
William Black

Razors pain you;
Rivers are damp;
Acids stain you;
And drugs cause cramp.
Guns aren't lawful;
Nooses give;
Gas smells awful;
You might as well live.

Old March 25th, 2009, 05:12 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
JohnT[_4_]

"Martin" wrote in message
On Wed, 25 Mar 2009 15:19:48 +0000, Jack Campin - bogus address
wrote:

Jewish sabbath is Friday sundown to Saturday sundown.
Does that overlap with what Muslims do?

Yes - the evening Friday prayer at the mosque is the most important
of the week for a lot of Muslims, and it takes place at the time
the Jewish sabbath is starting. Islam is a lot more heterogeneous
than Judaism or Christianity, though - some Muslims think all prayer
times are equally important, others don't go to mosques to pray and
may have a different timetable.

So that's why Ha Rods is open on Easter Sunday.

I don't think that H A Rods will actually be open on Easter Sunday,
regardless of the Religious orientation of its owner. But If you bung me a
few thousand quid (cash) I will arrange for an MP to ask a question about it
in the House.

--
JohnT

Old March 25th, 2009, 05:53 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
JohnT[_4_]

"Martin" wrote in message
On Wed, 25 Mar 2009 17:12:30 -0000, "JohnT"
wrote:

. ..
wrote:

Jewish sabbath is Friday sundown to Saturday sundown.
Does that overlap with what Muslims do?

Yes - the evening Friday prayer at the mosque is the most important
of the week for a lot of Muslims, and it takes place at the time
the Jewish sabbath is starting. Islam is a lot more heterogeneous
than Judaism or Christianity, though - some Muslims think all prayer
times are equally important, others don't go to mosques to pray and
may have a different timetable.

So that's why Ha Rods is open on Easter Sunday.

I don't think that H A Rods will actually be open on Easter Sunday,
regardless of the Religious orientation of its owner.

and what it says on H A Rods wibble site?

But If you bung me a
few thousand quid (cash) I will arrange for an MP to ask a question about
it
in the House.

when he comes out on parole?
--

They now say that they do not open on Easter Sunday. See
http://www.harrods.com/HarrodsStore/...e156567419#395

Old March 25th, 2009, 06:14 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
David Horne, _the_ chancellor[_2_]

Jack Campin - bogus address wrote:

Islam is a lot more heterogeneous
than Judaism or Christianity, though - some Muslims think all prayer
times are equally important, others don't go to mosques to pray and
may have a different timetable.

IOW, just like Judaism and Christianity.