Use of phone out of the country

Old March 9th, 2006, 09:02 PM posted to alt.cellular.cingular,rec.travel.cruises

Default Use of phone out of the country

I've had good success with my v3 throughout China and other parts of
Asia as well as throughout Europe. I just don't use my US SIM. I bought
a prepaid SIM in Manila and used it for 2 weeks as I traveled all over
Asia. I had a stock of pre-paid reloads with me that I added to the
account as needed and then gave the balance to my friend in Manila on
the way home. My cost per minute for calling back to the US was about 40
cents.

In ng0Qf.116697$QW2.7397@dukeread08 on Thu, 09 Mar 2006 15:33:54
-0500, Karen Selwyn wrote:

John Navas wrote:

You may have gotten a bad phone. My own experience with Iridium at
sea (e.g., between California and Hawaii) has been very good.

Clearly that's a possibility. However, you snipped the part in the
original message that explained that two strangers who had brought
satellite phones had equally disappointing results. When the number
jumps to three, I think pattern rather than bad phone.

Depends on which phones. Old Iridium phones, many of which are still
being rented, aren't as good as newer models.

You need a quad band phone for best results. Again, my own
experience with quad band international phones has been very good.

I can't remember the litany of problems we've had with quad band
international phones. Things were going just splendidly with the quad
band phone we took to China until the power on/off button got stuck
in the down position.

That's hardly a valid indictment of quad band phones. The better
ones are very good indeed, including the V551/V557 and V3.

Old March 18th, 2006, 12:50 PM posted to rec.travel.cruises

Cingular is my carrier and I have a Motorola RAZR phone with is the quad
ban....and on my last cruise in December I made and received calls, and
sent/received text messages in all the ports....San Juan, St. Thomas,
DR, and Bahamas. No problemo! Didn't notice any unusally large charges
at all either.

Jeff

Old March 18th, 2006, 01:09 PM posted to rec.travel.cruises

Jeff wrote in news:zmTSf.1239$I7.497@trnddc03:

Cingular is my carrier and I have a Motorola RAZR phone with is the quad
ban....and on my last cruise in December I made and received calls, and
sent/received text messages in all the ports....San Juan, St. Thomas,
DR, and Bahamas. No problemo! Didn't notice any unusally large charges
at all either.

Jeff

San Juan and St Thomas are included inthe Cingular National calling plan.
DR is IIRC one of the $2.99 a minutecountries however so you must not have
talked much there. Bahamas is expensive but not as much as the DR
--
Joseph Coulter
Cruises and Vacations

Old March 18th, 2006, 01:37 PM posted to rec.travel.cruises

That is definitely possible! In fact, in DR it might have been just
text! In San Juan, I have been there so many times I traditionally make
calls while walking around. The office, mom and dad, etc. Like being
home. I do love the RAZR phone....seem to recall in St. Maarten getting
one carrier on the Dutch side and having it change to Orange on the
French side. It's a sensitive little bugger!

Jeff