Open Discussion Regarding Cruise Pricing

Old March 16th, 2006, 08:20 PM posted to rec.travel.cruises

Default Open Discussion Regarding Cruise Pricing

Hello fellow cruisers :@))

I'm interested in obtaining the best cruise for the money. I wanted to
compare the prices and deals that other folks have been able to find.

Some message boards (CC & CA) don't allow open discussions regarding
pricing through specific sources.

Hence this posting.

I'll start by relating my most recent experience using Cruise.com.

In late 2005 I reserved a 7 day Mexican Riviera cruise sailing in
Spring 2006 on the Sapphire Princess. I booked a category AB mini suite
w/balcony for 2 on the Dolphin deck for a total price of $2651.60.

At that time Cruise.com was less expensive than booking directly with
Princess.

Within a week I found a $150.00 lower price for an identical cabin at
SmartCruiser.com. I didn't go back to Cruise.com to ask them to match
this deal. Please don't ask me why. I was fooolish and didn't feel it
was worth pursuing.

Cruise.com has fulfilled all their commitments and answered my
questions efficiently on the 2 occasions I've contacted them. Princess
customer service has been equally efficient with the 2 calls I've made
to them.

I'm assuming cruise pricing is a dynamic situation and one experience
is not necessarily an indication of future results.

I don't know who we'll use or how we'll book our next cabin. However, I
think that relating specific examples may be helpful.

Please share your experiences. Thank you. :@))

Old March 17th, 2006, 01:37 AM posted to rec.travel.cruises

wrote in message
oups.com...
Hello fellow cruisers :@))
directly with
Princess.

Within a week I found a $150.00 lower price for an identical cabin at
SmartCruiser.com. I didn't go back to Cruise.com to ask them to match
this deal. Please don't ask me why. I was fooolish and didn't feel it
was worth pursuing.

Sometimes when you find deals like that, the port charges are not included
in the price. What did the small print say?

Pete

Old March 17th, 2006, 06:02 PM posted to rec.travel.cruises

Thus spake "LeeNY" :

wrote:

I don't know who we'll use or how we'll book our next cabin. However, I
think that relating specific examples may be helpful.

Once I book a cruise (I do all my price comparisons/negotiations ahead
of time), I just don't check the prices again...to save myself the
aggravation.

It's called buyer's remorse. After you've bought something, QUIT
LOOKING.

Maybe I've lost some money over the years, but I'm happier
just not knowing about it rather than finding out about it, but being
locked into a higher rate. Same thing with airfare. There's always
going to be someone on your flight that has paid less than you.

That may be true, but when you buy a ticket Saturday night for a
Sunday afternoon departure, you're pretty much guaranteed to have paid
the most. $2800 rt, Austin to Minneapolis the Sunday after
Thanksgiving. Good thing the customer was paying for it. Ask me off
line which bank paid for it, I'll let you know where your credit card
fees went to.

As long
as I'm comfortable with the amount I paid, I can't get worked up about
it. I've used various TAs for cruise bookings, and all have done their
jobs well enough. I have a first-call TA, but still, that's after I've
already done all my research. I don't go into the booking blind. I have
a god idea of what the bottom line cost will be.

Lee

Please share your experiences. Thank you. :@))

--
dillon