Change of planes in Atlanta

Old May 12th, 2007, 11:58 AM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
TheNewsGuy(Mike)

Default Change of planes in Atlanta

We're flying Buffalo to San Francisco in July with a change of planes in
Atlanta. The original flight Buffalo to Atlanta (that had a 90 minute
window in Atlanta) has been changed and now we have only 35 minutes in
Atlanta to change planes - will this be enough time? Think our
checked-on bags will make it?

Any advice will be appreciated.

Thanks

--
Seinfeld Lists http://tinyurl.com/f7k9d
Sawyer's Nicknames http://tinyurl.com/gowma
Old May 12th, 2007, 12:54 PM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
Rog'

"TheNewsGuy(Mike)" wrote:
We're flying Buffalo to San Francisco in July with a change of
planes in Atlanta. The original flight Buffalo to Atlanta (that
had a 90 minute window in Atlanta) has been changed and
now we have only 35 minutes in Atlanta to change planes - will
this be enough time? Think our checked-on bags will make it?

I've alsways found Atlanta to be very efficient. I've done it with
only 35 minutes and so say that its quite do-able. Even if your
gates are at the far ends of different terminals (as happens to me),
the underground shuttles in the middle are fast and frequent.

You may need to trot and dodge around people, so do not weigh
yourself down with carry-ons. I suggest that you check in online
the night B4 to get gate #'s. Then B4 landing in Atlanta, study the
layout of the terminals to fix your route to the next gate. Also try
to get seats as close to the plane's exit door as possible. =R=

Old May 12th, 2007, 04:36 PM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
Sarah Banick

"TheNewsGuy(Mike)" wrote in message
We're flying Buffalo to San Francisco in July with a change of planes in
Atlanta. The original flight Buffalo to Atlanta (that had a 90 minute
window in Atlanta) has been changed and now we have only 35 minutes in
Atlanta to change planes - will this be enough time? Think our checked-on
bags will make it?

Any advice will be appreciated.

Thanks

What airline are you on? Delta is spread over several concourses, but if
you're on something else, it will likely be in the same terminal. If
everything is on time, you shouldn't have any problem switching terminals.
As the other poster said, just head down to the train (follow the baggage
claim or transportation signs to get downstairs) and get off at the right
concourse (and go back upstairs). The trains are continual, everything three
minutes or so. I can't speak to your baggage, since I live here, but I don't
think it's any different from any where else. It's a very efficient airport.

Old May 12th, 2007, 07:43 PM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
Cathy Kearns

"TheNewsGuy(Mike)" wrote in message
We're flying Buffalo to San Francisco in July with a change of planes in
Atlanta. The original flight Buffalo to Atlanta (that had a 90 minute
window in Atlanta) has been changed and now we have only 35 minutes in
Atlanta to change planes - will this be enough time? Think our checked-on
bags will make it?

Any advice will be appreciated.

Thanks

I think some airlines have a way to look up a particular flight and see how
often it is on time. You might want to look up your Buffalo/Atlanta flight
and see how often that flight is on time. If your flight is on time, and
it's a small plane, you have a some chance of making the Altanta/SFO plane,
though they might give up your seat. If it's a large plane I'd say you have
little to no chance of making the other flight, as I've been on planes that
take 20 minutes or more to deplane. I'd say your luggage has about a 50%
chance of making the change if your flight is on time, less if it's late.

If I were you, I'd change the flight.

Old May 12th, 2007, 11:19 PM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
Rog'

"Cathy Kearns" wrote:
I think some airlines have a way to look up a particular flight
and see how often it is on time. You might want to look up
your Buffalo/Atlanta flight and see how often that flight is on time.

Some major travel websites post this with the flight offer. See...
www.travelocity.com or www.expedia.com or www.orbitz.com

If your flight is on time, and it's a small plane, you have a some
chance of making the Altanta/SFO plane, though they might
give up your seat.

He'll have a boarding pass which gives him the right to board
anytime B4 they close the door. An agent at his arrival gate
can notify the departing gate that he is on his way. From BUF
to ATL, Delta runs mostly Canadair Regional Jets seating 70
passengers -- damn small if you ask me -- the 6:30am flight
uses an MD-88 (142 passengers).

I'd say your luggage has about a 50% chance of making the
change if your flight is on time, less if it's late.

Actually, his luggage is likely to get better attention than bags
who's planes do not depart for hours. The few times I've had
luggage "delayed," there was a lengthy layover.

If I were you, I'd change the flight.

If he misses the connection, the gate agent or service desk
will likely reroute him so he gets there the same day, unless
the missed connection is his own fault. "I thought I had time
to eat at Chili's!" =R=

Old May 12th, 2007, 11:57 PM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
TheNewsGuy(Mike)

Rog' wrote:
"Cathy Kearns" wrote:
[...]

Thanks to all and your excellent suggestions.

Since we are traveling with my wife's elderly (80) parents I didn't
think pulling an OJ (before he was a bad guy) through the terminal would
work. I just called Delta and they agreed that the 35 minutes was
"cutting it close" so they booked us all(6) on an earlier flight out of
Buffalo.

They were very accommodating.

Thanks again,

Mike

Old May 13th, 2007, 01:33 AM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
Hunt

In article ,
says...

Rog' wrote:
"Cathy Kearns" wrote:
[...]

That is probably the best way to handle it. Glad to hear that Delta was
accommodating. That sounds more like the old Delta, than what they seem to
have become.

Good trip,
Hunt

Old May 14th, 2007, 02:15 AM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
Toller

Rog' wrote:
"Cathy Kearns" wrote:
[...]

Customer service at an Airlines!? I will have to try Delta.
BTW, did you know that flights out of Buffalo are usually 10% or 20% less
than those out of Rochester, even going East? I'd love to know why that is.