East coast of Italy?

Old March 22nd, 2004, 10:54 PM
NoNameAtAll

Default East coast of Italy?

I'm planning my first trip to Italy for the spring of 2005. I want to see Rome
and Venice for sure. However, my trip to Europe was to some of the Greek
Islands, and it's hard to pass up the opportunity to visit one I didn't have a
chance to visit by taking one of the many ferries from Italy to the island of
Corfu. The most logical way to make the trip would be to take the ferry from
Venice to Corfu since I'll be in Venice anyway. However, it's a 24-hour trip,
which is a long time to waste on a boat in the middle of a great vacation.
Ferries also depart from other ports on the east coast of Italy that make the
trip a lot shorter, but they are places that never pop up while discussing
tourism in Italy (i.e. Brindisi, Bari, Ancona).

Anyway, my point is that I don't want to take a train all the way to one of
these other port cities just to shorten the duration of the ferry trip if
there's nothing else to do or see in those places. What, if anything, do these
other port cities on the east coast of Italy have to offer?
Old March 23rd, 2004, 12:34 AM
billfrogg

Hi NONAME , I was very tempted to snap at you go to the library, buy a
guide book search google, but I realise that eviler tongues than mine
may shortly take over.
However; I've spent the last few trips exploring the Adriatic coast of
Italy. You have one clue already....you mentioned going to the Greek
Islands....well so have millions of people done over the centuries.
The East coast of Italy has always been the gateway to the Eastern and
Southern countries. There are Greek ruins peppered along the coast all
the way to the heel of the boot. The food is flavored by Greece and
Africa as you get further South. Also realise, the towns along the
coast are favorite seaside resorts of millions of ordinary Italians:
there are lots of inexpensive restaurants and lots of night
entertainments aimed at the young and also at anyone who likes to get
out there and dance the night away. Mixed in among the Italians are
lots of strangers who are headed for Greece, (yourself among them?) so
there is a lot of lively interaction among the young and not so young.
Please don't consider the long train ride a waste....you get to see a
lot of coastline as you go South. I'm going to be on a train going
South along that very route next week. buon viaggio! bill

Old March 23rd, 2004, 11:22 AM
Giacomo www.discover.it

Go to Brindisi Port then South of Brindisi 50 miles you find Otranto.
Marvelous. Then south Castro Marina, Santa Cesarea terme,Leuca.

You will love it down there!

Otranto: http://www.discover.it/modules.php?n...rticle&sid=127

Old March 23rd, 2004, 11:44 AM
Giovanni Drogo

On 22 Mar 2004, NoNameAtAll wrote:

trip a lot shorter, but they are places that never pop up while discussing
tourism in Italy (i.e. Brindisi, Bari, Ancona).

there's nothing else to do or see in those places. What, if
anything, do these other port cities on the east coast of Italy have
to offer?

We call it "Adriatic coast" (costa Adriatica), not East coast.

Depending on what you want to do, you might consider stopping underway
in different places, or choosing a port and visiting that city before
embarking. Also depends on how much time you want to spend.

The only time I went to Greece by ferry, my obvious choice was Ancona
because the train trip from Milan was rather short to be done during
daytime, I could sleep on the ferry, and Brindisi was considered an
unsafe place.

If you want to stop underway, from north to south you may consider the
following places on the coastal railway :

Ravenna with nice byzantine mosaics and other monuments,

Rimini (which is not just a beach resort but has a nice historical
centre), from there you might take inland excursions to places like
Gradara (this is close to the coastal train, but only very few local
trains may stop there), San Marino or San Leo,

Pesaro (few nice monuments in the centre) or Fano (nice centre also with
roman remains) (from either place you could take an entire day excursion
inland to Urbino and the Ducal Palace, but it has to be by bus, no
trains any more). There are other nice little towns inland but will be
not of easy reach.

Ancona is a busy city. Between the station and the harbour there is the
Lazzaretto (a former fortress by the dutch-italian architect Vanvitelli,
later used for quarantines and now for exhibitions). Inside the harbour
there are two triumphal archs, a Roman and a Papal one. The historical
centre can be reached by foot just outside the entrance to the harbour
area. You can also climb up monte Guasco with the romanic Cathedral of
S.Ciriaco (also nice view from above there). On the way down (to the
archeological museum) there are some archeological areas which are been
rearranged after the earthquake (I visited the roman theatre on the area
of the former prisons, but I guess one needs special arrangements as the
works are not completed. The cathedral is on the tip of the "elbow"
(Ancona meant "elbow" in greek) of the Conero cape. There is a modern
area of the city called Passetto on the back (south) of the cape, with
nice views. You need to move by urban bus (from station to Passetto or
to harbour), and walk in the centre or to the cathedral.

From Ancona you can take a trip inland to Loreto (large ancient
sanctuary, worth a visit from the artistic point of view). Other
possibilities would be to visit the sea villages of Numana and Sirolo on
the south of the Conero cape (one of the only two rocky capes in the
otherwise sandy adriatic beaches). I've never been there but heard they
are quite nice.

The southern part of the coast of the Marche is nothing special, nice
towns are in the interior on the hills. Possibly the only one in easy
reach is Fermo (which is 6 km from the coast).

I do not know at all the coastal and inland areas of Abruzzo (the next
region south).

Once you get to Puglia, the rail line leaves the coast for a while. I do
not know Foggia (from there you can reach the large rocky cape of
Gargano which should be interesting from the natural point of view).

There are interesting small cities along the coast like Molfetta,
Barletta and Trani (I'd recommend this one with its Cathedral along the
sea). I'm not sure what's the best place to go inland to visit Castel
del Monte (an octagonal 12th century castle built by emperor Frederick
II).

Bari is mostly a modern city with a long seaside promenade, and a small
labyrinthic ancient centre. This area is considered a bit unsafe if you
go around alone. There are at least two nices romanic churches (the
cathedral of S.Nicola, and the Odegitria. S.Nicola can be reached also
from the seaside way outside of the centre. The rail station is at the
other end of the 18th century area (the so called "Murat Borough") with
respect to the sea.

I do not know Brindisi at all, which I'm being told is a rather unsafe
place. Close to it there are nice places like the baroque city of Lecce
with its several buildings in a honey coloured soft stone, and the small
city of Otranto, with a walled centre, and a cathedral with a "popular
style" medieval mosaic floor.

Ravenna and Urbino would require a day, in the other places a few hour
stopover may suffice at least to see selected sights.

is a newsreading account used by more persons to

Old March 24th, 2004, 01:28 AM
Penguini

Giovanni Drogo ho scritto
:

We call it "Adriatic coast" (costa Adriatica), not East coast.
I do not know at all the coastal and inland areas of Abruzzo (the next
region south).

I know Abruzzo a little. Recommend Teramo (great Roman ruins and great
food), Castelli (majolica), Pescocostanzo (just a nice town), Atri (Roman
and medieval sites), Silvi (beautiful coastal town), Scanno (wonderful
tradition and natural scenery), Chieti (Roman and medieval sights). Use
Pescara as a base. Pescara is a modern Adriatic City with some good night
life and close by the other stops above.
Old October 28th, 2004, 04:57 PM
FL

If you get a chance, you have to spend a few days around the Amalfi Coast.
The best town is Positano. To me, it's the most beutiful place on earth. You
get mountains, cliffs, clear blue seas, lemon trees, great food and nice
people.

If you do decide to check out the Abruzzo region, there is a Castle off the
beaten path that you may want to check out. It's called Rocca Calascio and
it's perched on top of a large hill.

Good Luck,
Frank

"stefanaccio" wrote in message
m...

[...]

Pescara is a beach town with a couple of museums. One of some interest
is the Museum of the Abruzzo People. There is also an archeological
museum there.

Casale
http://www.angelfire.com/film/casale

Old October 28th, 2004, 09:16 PM
jenn

FL wrote:

[...]

uhhh wouldn't this be the 'west coast' of Italy?
Old October 29th, 2004, 01:56 AM
Penguini

"FL" ha scritto
. com:

If you do decide to check out the Abruzzo region, there is a Castle
off the beaten path that you may want to check out. It's called Rocca
Calascio and it's perched on top of a large hill.

It is off the beaten path on the Campo Imperatore. It is a ruin. Not at
all near the cast but worth a short trip along with Santo Stefano di
Sessiano nearby.

Pescara is a beach town with a couple of museums. One of some
interest is the Museum of the Abruzzo People.

The Museum is great if you're interested in the ancient and recent
customs of the area. Well worth a few hours.

Pescara has over 200,000 people (and sprawl to the North - Montesilvano -
and to the South - Francaville) a little bigger than a beach "town".

Old October 29th, 2004, 09:42 AM
Alan Harrison

"jenn" wrote in message

uhhh wouldn't this be the 'west coast' of Italy?

The OP asked about places on the east coast, but FL mentioned one place on
the west coast in replying - Amalfi.

Alan Harrison

Old October 30th, 2004, 03:18 PM
FL

My last post did include the Amalfi Coast which is on the West Side. But if
the original poster is going to Venice and Abruzzo (dead center), I thought
he may want to take the time and see the Amalfi Coast....or not....

FL