Easyjet rules about cabin baggage

Old April 4th, 2011, 07:38 AM posted to rec.travel.air,alt.travel.uk.air
Terry Pinnell[_2_]

Default Easyjet rules about cabin baggage

I see that Easyjet are from 5th April to charge £25 or £40 (depending on
whether the transaction is at the desk or the boarding gate) for cabin
bags that exceed 56 x 45 x 25 cm.

For our walking holidays my wife and I take our rucksacks (backpacks) in
the cabin and these are a very irregular shape. I'll have to get the tape
out but I doubt if my current choice would fit into a rigid cage or box of
those dimensions. Yet it would be well below the average volume and weight
of cabin package.

I've only once in the last 15 years or so had to check it (or its similar
size predecessor) into the hold. But from today's announcement it seems
that enforcement will now be stricter. Apart from the extra very high
cost, it raises issues of convenience, because my rucksack holds all the
usual stuff possibly needed during the trip.

Any others here facing similar predicament for an imminent flight? I'm
thinking I'll have to PACK the rucksack in my main case and take a
'standard' item as hand baggage, to eliminate the risk.

--
Terry, East Grinstead, UK
Old April 4th, 2011, 09:10 AM posted to rec.travel.air,alt.travel.uk.air
tim....

"Terry Pinnell" wrote in message
I see that Easyjet are from 5th April to charge £25 or £40 (depending on
whether the transaction is at the desk or the boarding gate) for cabin
bags that exceed 56 x 45 x 25 cm.

How is this any different to the previous rule other than:

We used to let off people who cheated but now we wont?

Why is this of concern (except in the positive) to those of us who played by
the rules and (at least in my case) get ****ed off by the people who try
and cheat?

tim

Old April 4th, 2011, 09:22 AM posted to rec.travel.air,alt.travel.uk.air
J B[_3_]

On 4/4/11 09:10, tim.... wrote:
"Terry wrote in message
I see that Easyjet are from 5th April to charge £25 or £40 (depending on
whether the transaction is at the desk or the boarding gate) for cabin
bags that exceed 56 x 45 x 25 cm.

How is this any different to the previous rule other than:

I'm hoping that it isn't a different 'size' rule, but I'm too lazy to
check back

--
J B
Old April 4th, 2011, 10:50 AM posted to rec.travel.air,alt.travel.uk.air
Roland Perry[_1_]

In message , at 09:22:01 on Mon, 4 Apr 2011,
J B remarked:
I see that Easyjet are from 5th April to charge £25 or £40 (depending on
whether the transaction is at the desk or the boarding gate) for cabin
bags that exceed 56 x 45 x 25 cm.

How is this any different to the previous rule other than:

I'm hoping that it isn't a different 'size' rule, but I'm too lazy to
check back

It's the same size as before.

I've noticed increasing problems on Easyjet, with oversize baggage and
difficulty in fitting it all in.

Although rucksacks might be the same overall volume, that's not what
matters to the airline. One of Easyjet's ambitions is quick turnaround,
and a roller-bag is best for that, rather than irregularly shaped items
that don't stack well into the lockers.

I've also noticed flight attendants ejecting all the smaller items from
the overheads, and making people put them under the seat in front.
--
Roland Perry
Old April 4th, 2011, 01:39 PM posted to rec.travel.air,alt.travel.uk.air
root

On Mon, 4 Apr 2011 10:50:00 +0100, Roland Perry wrote:
[...]

On most no-frills flights I've been on, locker-space has been the most
scare resource (scarer than seats). It would be interesting to see the
large lockers that planes now have being subdivided and each smaller space
being allocated to a specific, individual seat. If you can't get your
stuff (of any shape/size) into that space, or under your seat - off you get.

It'll never happen though as it would increase the boarding time of
flights
Old April 4th, 2011, 02:04 PM posted to rec.travel.air,alt.travel.uk.air
Roland Perry[_1_]

In message , at 12:39:42 on Mon, 4 Apr 2011,
root remarked:
On most no-frills flights I've been on, locker-space has been the most
scare resource (scarer than seats). It would be interesting to see the
large lockers that planes now have being subdivided and each smaller space
being allocated to a specific, individual seat. If you can't get your
stuff (of any shape/size) into that space, or under your seat - off you get.

The main restriction I see is the strict "one piece" rule, that many
such airlines do manage to enforce. even if combined your two items
would be smaller, and more likely to go under a seat!

I'd be happy to travel with a smaller trolley-bag plus a laptop-bag
sized briefcase. I will be needing the latter at my destination anyway,
as well as on the flight (when it'll always go under the seat). If I hd
a smaller trolley-bag it would leave more room in the overheads.

But I'm forced to get the largest possible trolley-bag (expandable in
the 20/22/25 direction), and therefore have room to pack the laptop bag
inside. This means I'm a little slower when boarding, as I have to
unpack them when I've got to my seat. But I always pick a less busy bit
of aisle to do that.

My reason for not checking the bag with clothes etc in it is not
primarily about the cost. It's the extra time required to wait in the
check-in line, and at baggage reclaim. Together that'll add an hour to a
typical one hour flight. So rather than "Speedy boarding", I'd prefer
"Speedy baggage!" maybe with the bag put in/out of the hold at the gate,
like they do for infants pushchairs.
--
Roland Perry