Ferry Service from Athens to Mykonos

Old March 22nd, 2004, 04:49 PM
Charm

Default Ferry Service from Athens to Mykonos

I'm planning a trip to Europe this Summer, and all my air travel is booked
except for a flight between Athens and Mykonos, where we'll be staying for a
week.

The flights from the Athens Airport to Mykonos are scheduled either too close
to my arrival or hours later, so I'm researching taking one of the ferries from
the port of Athens to Mykonos.

I've done some research on the Web, but can't seem to find clear information on
transport from the airport to places the various ferries depart from, and where
to book the ferry tickets (I'm resisting the urge here to say, 'It's all Greek
to me.')

Anyway, has anyone ever gone from the Athens airport to and of the Greek
Islands by Ferry? Any advice? Ideally I'd like to be able to book a driver to
meet us at the airport to take us to the correct dock, book the ferry tickets
and a return by plane. I have numbers for a couple of Greek travel agencies in
the US, but I'm not sure if an agent would want to bother with such a small
portion of the arrangements. Thanks for any advice!

-charm
Old March 22nd, 2004, 05:06 PM
NoNameAtAll

Forgive me for being technical, but the port you'll be departing from is
actually Piraeus, not Athens. Getting from the Athens airport (or from the city
of Athens itself) to Piraeus is very easy. There's no need to book a private
driver from the airport, as there is a regular bus that makes the trip many
times each day. Gazillions of people make this trip each year, so you don't
have to worry about being on some kind of perilous adventure.

Getting from Piraeus to Mykonos by ferry is also very easy because Mykonos is
one of the most popular destinations in the Greek Islands. I unfortunately do
not have links to the ferry web sites here at work, but I'll try to remember to
post them when I get home. One thing you might think about is whether you want
to take the regular (i.e. slow) ferry or the fast ferry. It's quite a long trip
if you take the slow ferry, and you might not be in the mood for that after the
long flight. Then again, it is also quite relaxing because it's a nice big,
comfortable boat. The fast ferry, on the other hand, is more like sitting on an
airplane.

This is well-trodden territory and you'll find it very easy to find the
information you're looking for. One web site I'd highly recommend to help with
your planning is www.greecetravel.com. I'm fairly certain that there are links
to some of the ferry services there.

Enjoy your trip! And be sure to take an excursion over to Delos while you're on
Mykonos. It has some of the best ruins in all of Greece and it's just a very
short boat trip from Mykonos.
Old March 22nd, 2004, 05:09 PM
NoNameAtAll

I forgot - You should post your query over at alt.travel.greece as well. I got
a lot of very helpful information there while planning my trip to Greece last
summer.
Old March 22nd, 2004, 05:10 PM
Charm

ksu93dlv wrote:

[...]

Thanks very much...I'll head on over to greecetravel.com

-charm
Old March 22nd, 2004, 05:51 PM
Dee

"Charm" wrote in message
[...]

Does this help?
http://www.ferries.gr/

Old March 22nd, 2004, 07:35 PM
Iceman

I've done some research on the Web, but can't seem to find clear information on
transport from the airport to places the various ferries depart from, and where
to book the ferry tickets (I'm resisting the urge here to say, 'It's all Greek
to me.')

Buses leave right from the airport for Piraeus, the ferry port for
most Greek Islands. It's no problem at all to get bus tickets last
minute, but do leave extra time before your ferry leaves - the ride
can take more than an hour due to traffic, you might have to wait in
line to buy your ferry ticket, and the port area is poorly labeled and
very confusing and it can be tricky to figure out exactly where to go
(30 ferries to all over leave from the same place).

If you go into Athens for a few hours, you can get the metro to
Piraeus.

Anyway, has anyone ever gone from the Athens airport to and of the Greek
Islands by Ferry? Any advice? Ideally I'd like to be able to book a driver to
meet us at the airport to take us to the correct dock, book the ferry tickets
and a return by plane. I have numbers for a couple of Greek travel agencies in
the US, but I'm not sure if an agent would want to bother with such a small
portion of the arrangements. Thanks for any advice!

You can buy ferry tickets at the Athens Airport. Ferry fares are
fixed by Greek law, so it doesn't matter where you get them.

It's normally no problem at all to get on a ferry, but if you want a
cabin, or if you're going in absolute peak season, you might want to
try to reserve in advance.

You don't need a driver to get from the airport to the ferry port; the
bus gets you right from one to the other. If you want to spend a few
hours in Athens before your ferry leaves (i.e. see the ancient sites),
then take the bus to the port, store your things in temporary storage
there, take the metro to the ancient sites, and then take the metro
back to the port.
Old March 22nd, 2004, 08:13 PM
NoNameAtAll

I found some of those web sites I mentioned earlier today. Hopefully some of
these will help:

http://www.travelinfo.gr/ferryfare.htm

http://www.gtpweb.com/RoutesForm.asp

http://www.greekislandhopping.com/

And since you said you'll be on Mykonos for about a week, this might be
helpful...

http://mykonosholidays.com/

My experience with Piraeus is fairly limited, as I chose to fly directly to and
from Athens from the islands I visited. However, I did take the metro to
Piraeus once for a day trip to Aegina and found the whole process to be
relatively painless. We did not buy our tickets in advance going to Aegina
because we took the slow ferry, but on the way back we took the high-speed
ferry, for which we did need advance tickets (in our case a few hours in
advance).

The slow ferry from Piraeus to Mykonos is about 6 hours if I recall correctly
from reading about it.
Old March 23rd, 2004, 08:08 PM
sosna

i think that you can find cheap tickets with olympic airlines or aegean
airlines...Also in the summer there are more flights available in order
to reach Mykonos and generally the islands....Maybe 4-5 flights daily
for each company(olympic or aegean)..

Old March 24th, 2004, 04:21 PM
Charm

i think that you can find cheap tickets with olympic airlines or aegean
airlines...Also in the summer there are more flights available in order
to reach Mykonos and generally the islands....Maybe 4-5 flights daily
for each company(olympic or aegean)..

Thanks, I get into Athens at 1:00PM and the first connection I can make is on
Aegean at 7:30PM. I've poured over ferry schedules on line and it doesn't look
like there's anything for the afternoon, just morning runs. I'm about to
commit to the Aegean flight and the six hour layover (aaargh!) but I have a
call into a travel agent to see if he can come up with something better.
-charm
Old March 24th, 2004, 04:46 PM
NoNameAtAll

Thanks, I get into Athens at 1:00PM and the first connection I can make is on
Aegean at 7:30PM. I've poured over ferry schedules on line and it doesn't
look
like there's anything for the afternoon, just morning runs. I'm about to
commit to the Aegean flight and the six hour layover (aaargh!) but I have a
call into a travel agent to see if he can come up with something better.
-charm

If you're not dead set on going straight to Mykonos, you can always check
flight schedules to see if there's an earlier flight to a different island. For
instance, you could fly to Santorini (which is absolutely gorgeous by the way),
and then get from there to Mykonos after a short stay. Naxos and Paros are even
closer to Mykonos than Santorini is. Personally I wouldn't want to stay on one
island for an entire week anyway.