Hotels in Italy - with kids

Old September 16th, 2003, 11:55 PM
HMoore

Default Hotels in Italy - with kids

We are going to Italy in October with our two kids, 11 & 12. In the
US we always stay in one room - even if its crowded, its no big deal.
Obviously European hotels are much smaller and this might be more of
an issue.

If we reserve double and triple rooms are most hotels OK with the idea
of us having our kids stay in the room too, or will they insist we get
two rooms? I know some rooms would be just too small, but are we
likely to be OK just handling the issue when we arrive, or must we go
ahead and reserve two rooms? We don't mind leaving a certain amount
to chance, but if hotels are going to universally say we must get two
rooms we might as well reserve it that way.

Does anyone have experience with this? If we have to get two rooms
we'll have to go down a star or two! The hotels in Italy are really
expensive! I guess we are a four star family on a two star budget.
Old September 17th, 2003, 04:25 AM
Bill Long

Absolutely reserve 2 rooms. All rooms in Europe are too small for more
than 2 people. If suites are available, then it may be a different
story. Some charge by the person anyway, so might as well get the
second room.
Bill

Old September 17th, 2003, 09:42 AM
tile

pls try to book with
www.hotels.com

there are for sure hotels with three or four beds..

I do not agree that hotels in Italy are expensive..

the average hotel 3 to 4 stars will cost you between

60 and 100 eur per night
( not in venice )
depending on the season of course.
In august I had a 4 stars hotel in rome for 68.00 eur
bed and breakfast.

do not forget that in rome you might also hire an apartment..

the same in venice or florence..

maybe it will be more convenient for you.
m...

Old September 17th, 2003, 01:02 PM
Barbara Vaughan

HMoore wrote:

We are going to Italy in October with our two kids, 11 & 12. In the
US we always stay in one room - even if its crowded, its no big deal.
Obviously European hotels are much smaller and this might be more of
an issue.

If we reserve double and triple rooms are most hotels OK with the idea
of us having our kids stay in the room too, or will they insist we get
two rooms? I know some rooms would be just too small, but are we
likely to be OK just handling the issue when we arrive, or must we go
ahead and reserve two rooms? We don't mind leaving a certain amount
to chance, but if hotels are going to universally say we must get two
rooms we might as well reserve it that way.

Some hotels have quad rooms, and you might want to look for these. A
triple room might work if your kids can share a smallish bed, but a
double room would probably not work at all. Most hotels in Italy have
exactly the number of sleeping spaces that the type of room indicates. A
double will have either a double bed or two singles. (Generally, if you
ask for a double bed (matrimoniale), they will push the two double beds
together and make them up as a double.) You will not usually find a
double room that has two double beds.

If you think your kids can share a single bed, you could ask for a
triple and tell them that you will have two children who can share a
bed. I don't think any hotels will have a problem with this.

I suggest you get a copy of Let's Go, Italy. Many of their hotels may be
a bit too basic for you, but their high end may be what you want. The
reason I suggest them is that in their hotel listings, they indicate
whether the hotel has triple or quad rooms, and tell you how much these
cost. I use Let's Go almost exclusively for my travel around Italy and
have found them very reliable. (I live in Italy.)

If you are going to Rome, I can suggest a few inexpensive hotels there
that have triple or quad rooms.

Barbara
Old September 17th, 2003, 04:43 PM
HMoore

average hotel 3 to 4 stars will cost you between 60 and 100 eur per
night

Wow...We sure haven't found that to be the case in October. If you
have any 3 or 4 star recommendations we can sure use them. Needing
Verona, Bologna, Siena, Assisi, Florence, Ravena, Amalfi coast etc....
Old September 17th, 2003, 06:38 PM
tile

pls go to

www.hotels.com

and you will find what you are looking for.
of course. amalfi is a special town.
bologna has a lot of trade fairs..
but in normal times. you will have those prices.