Mexico - safe for tourists?

Old December 22nd, 2006, 02:13 PM posted to rec.travel.latin-america
stonej

Default Mexico - safe for tourists?

I hear a lot about drug gangs, serious social unrest in one well known
tourist town etc.

Old December 22nd, 2006, 10:22 PM posted to rec.travel.latin-america
Runge

well go on hearing then,

Old December 23rd, 2006, 07:34 PM posted to rec.travel.latin-america
Wayne Lundberg

"stonej" wrote in message
oups.com...
I hear a lot about drug gangs, serious social unrest in one well known
tourist town etc.

Don't wear a Rolex, don't show off your wealth, keep most of your day money
in your left pocket and rip-off money/wallet in right pocket. If and when
accosted, give them your right hand pocket stuff by dropping it and running
like hell. Tell your bank not to allow more than $200 a day in ATM
withdrawals and not disclose available balance. Keep a low profile. Dicker
instead of paying full price. Be curious and be willing to listen, even to
the street beggar but don't ask about drugs!

Old December 23rd, 2006, 09:15 PM posted to rec.travel.latin-america
Runge

Nope
You should forget american securitarian blabla's

Old December 23rd, 2006, 09:16 PM posted to rec.travel.latin-america
Runge

that is good advice in LA !!

"Wayne Lundberg" a écrit dans le message de
news: ...

oups.com...

Old December 28th, 2006, 02:37 PM posted to rec.travel.latin-america
Tom Peel[_3_]

stonej schrieb:
I hear a lot about drug gangs, serious social unrest in one well known
tourist town etc.

Can you be more explicit. Mexico is an extremely large country.

T.

Old December 28th, 2006, 07:57 PM posted to rec.travel.latin-america
Richard Ferguson

Mexico is a very large country. Certainly there are places, including
Mexico City and Laredo, that have very serious crime problems. I would
give Oaxaca a couple of months to see how things go after the government
crackdown. In some of the recent troubles in Oaxaca, residents were
very concerned and avoided certain areas, or stayed inside during the
worst of it. But that is not a reason to avoid the entire country; I
just got back from a trouble-free trip to the Yucatan.

Lots of people will tell you to completely ignore the various government
security warnings. I would instead urge you to read them and look for
specific recommendations and comments about specific areas. For
example, if they tell you to put your credit cards in the hotel safe, do it.

Common sense is good, but Mexico has some special hazards that you would
not know about unless you do some research. For example, Mexico City
has a problem with taxi robberies; it is unwise to blindly get into
random passing taxis. This is not a problem in any other country that I
have visited. In Mexico City, I recommend using radio taxis or
official taxi stands where someone with a clipboard is logging
departures. (What looks like a taxi stand in front of Bellas Artes has
an especially bad reputation).

I would suggest that you visit Mexico, but do your homework, consider
avoiding troubled areas, and practice security while you are there.

Richard

--
http://www.fergusonsculpture.com
Sculptures in copper and other metals
Old December 30th, 2006, 08:24 PM posted to rec.travel.latin-america
Runge

In Buenos aires it is advisable to call a taxi from a restaurant and not
hail one in the streets
Just in case...

message de news: