A question and little whining (YYC -LIH)

Old September 20th, 2007, 04:48 AM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada,rec.travel.air
Rowen[_2_]

Default A question and little whining (YYC -LIH)

I was checking airfares to Kauai, HI from Calgary during the first
week of January. I have two choices with one stop.
1) Alaska air line through Seatle ($972)
2) Air Canda/United through SFO ($1700)

As SFO is less likely to close down for a snow storm (?),
I prefer that. Do they ever have any ticket sale on that
route, or I am out of luck because it is the high (very high?)
season.

Five years ago, I went to Maui and I took a direct flight from
Calgary to Maui; it was once a week though. At that time there were
direct flights to HNL from Calgary too. Too bad West Jet does not do
that route.
Old September 20th, 2007, 06:38 AM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada,rec.travel.air
Calif Bill

"Rowen" wrote in message
I was checking airfares to Kauai, HI from Calgary during the first
week of January. I have two choices with one stop.
1) Alaska air line through Seatle ($972)
2) Air Canda/United through SFO ($1700)

As SFO is less likely to close down for a snow storm (?),
I prefer that. Do they ever have any ticket sale on that
route, or I am out of luck because it is the high (very high?)
season.

Five years ago, I went to Maui and I took a direct flight from
Calgary to Maui; it was once a week though. At that time there were direct
flights to HNL from Calgary too. Too bad West Jet does not do
that route.

Seattle would be a rare day that a snowstorm shut them down. Seattle
specializes in rain and not snow even in the winter.

Old September 20th, 2007, 08:14 AM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada,rec.travel.air
mrtravel[_3_]

Calif Bill wrote:
"Rowen" wrote in message

I was checking airfares to Kauai, HI from Calgary during the first
week of January. I have two choices with one stop.
1) Alaska air line through Seatle ($972)
2) Air Canda/United through SFO ($1700)

As SFO is less likely to close down for a snow storm (?),
I prefer that. Do they ever have any ticket sale on that
route, or I am out of luck because it is the high (very high?)
season.

Five years ago, I went to Maui and I took a direct flight from
Calgary to Maui; it was once a week though. At that time there were direct
flights to HNL from Calgary too. Too bad West Jet does not do
that route.

Seattle would be a rare day that a snowstorm shut them down. Seattle
specializes in rain and not snow even in the winter.

It should also be pointed out that January rainfall totals for SF and
Seattle are about the same.

The biggest weather threat is going to be at Calgary.
Old September 20th, 2007, 02:51 PM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada,rec.travel.air
Rowen[_2_]

mrtravel wrote:
Calif Bill wrote:

"Rowen" wrote in message

[...]

But Calgary Airport is well equipped for snow storm not like Vancouver.
Thanks Bill and Mr Travel.
Old September 21st, 2007, 01:45 AM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada,rec.travel.air
mtravel

Rowen wrote:
mrtravel wrote:

Calif Bill wrote:

"Rowen" wrote in message

[...]

I missed where Vancouver was mentioned. I thought the options indicated
where via Seattle or SFO
Old September 21st, 2007, 04:05 AM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada,rec.travel.air
DevilsPGD

In message aVuIi.205690$fJ5.8587@pd7urf1no Rowen
wrote:

But Calgary Airport is well equipped for snow storm not like Vancouver.
Thanks Bill and Mr Travel.

Who mentioned Vancouver?

As far as Calgary goes, I live there and fly in and out semi-frequently,
never once has weather been an issue. YYC knows weather happens and is
more or less prepared for it.

--
You can get more with a kind word and a 2x4 than just a kind word.
Old September 21st, 2007, 08:05 AM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada,rec.travel.air
Calif Bill

"mrtravel" wrote in message
Calif Bill wrote:
"Rowen" wrote in message

[...]

The major difference in the rain between SFO and Seattle, is we get a couple
of good storms and lots of nice days inbetween in San Francisco area.
Seattle has a light piddling rain on lots of days.

Old September 24th, 2007, 02:00 AM posted to rec.travel.air
[email protected]

SEA is unlikely to have snow delays (not impossible, just unlikely)
though it seems fog can curtail operations. SFO can be severely
affected by fog (ops reduced by more than 50% due to the runway
arrangement). Irregardless of the fare, I'd take my chances with SEA.