The era of FORMAL NIGHTS is fading rapidly...

Old October 9th, 2007, 03:15 PM posted to rec.travel.cruises
LeeNY

Default The era of FORMAL NIGHTS is fading rapidly...

On Oct 8, 4:41 pm, (RICK DAVIS) wrote:
So far I've only read
one person say they enjoy it.

I don't think I voiced my opinion on this particular thread, but I
have on many others. I love formal nights - everyone looks great, the
atmosphere is festive, etc. So, count me as a vote on the side of
enjoying it!

But for the other more main stream lines let your
passengers be comfortable

I'm totally comfy in my formal wear. My formal outfits might well be
the most comfy outfits I wear during the cruise. Men can easily do
away with the tie, if that's the source of the discomfort - there are
shirts made to wear with tuxes or suits that don't require a tie. Not
being a man, I can't speak from experience, but I'm not sure what else
about wearing a tux or suit is really any different or more
uncomfortable than wearing any other button-down shirt with a pair of
pants and a sport coat.

Lee

Old October 9th, 2007, 03:16 PM posted to rec.travel.cruises
LeeNY

On Oct 8, 9:57 pm, "Diana Ball" wrote:
So, what's YOUR take on why cruise lines continue to have Formal Night?

--Tom

Because men in tuxes are irresistibly sexy.

Agreed!!!!

Lee

Diana

Old October 9th, 2007, 03:20 PM posted to rec.travel.cruises
LeeNY

On Oct 6, 6:32 pm, Rick wrote:
Who are
you trying
to impress?

I'm not trying to impress anyone. I like how I look when I dress up.
Makes me feel good about my own appearance. Couldn't care less about
what others think about the way I look, as long as I'm happy.

Why do you think people are aiming to impress others when they dress
for formal nights?

Old October 9th, 2007, 03:34 PM posted to rec.travel.cruises
Kurt Ullman

In article .com,
LeeNY wrote:

away with the tie, if that's the source of the discomfort - there are
shirts made to wear with tuxes or suits that don't require a tie.

Tried that once with the high collar thingy. People kept coming up
to me wanting take confession (g).
Old October 9th, 2007, 06:58 PM posted to rec.travel.cruises
Brian K[_1_]

On 10/8/2007 9:57 PM Diana Ball consulted a Magic 8 Ball and declared:
So, what's YOUR take on why cruise lines continue to have Formal Night?

--Tom

Because men in tuxes are irresistibly sexy.
Diana

But a well built well endowed man out of a tuxedo in a leather jock
strap and obedience collar is beyond irresistibly sexy. He's the
ultimate fantasy. ;-)

--
________
Brian M. Kochera
Old October 9th, 2007, 07:32 PM posted to rec.travel.cruises
Rosalie B.

LeeNY wrote:

On Oct 8, 7:30 pm, Ike wrote:

I won't miss formal nights and won't sail on a line that insists
on that dress code, yet even on the most laid back ship I'll
wear a tweed jacket to evening meals.

Tweed in the Caribbean? That, I can't see. Perhaps a nice linen sport
coat or something like that. Tweed just screams winter and cold
weather to me.

Sometimes the dining rooms are really cold - they do that to
counteract all the heat people bring in from getting sunburned at the
beach I guess. I had to wear a sweater almost all the time in that
area.

Also, wool is a good insulator (from heat as well as cold). Arabian
robes worn in the desert are wool. And a winter jacket will probably
come in handy on the trip home when you have to dig your car out of
the snow.
Old October 9th, 2007, 07:40 PM posted to rec.travel.cruises
Brian K[_1_]

On 10/9/2007 10:15 AM LeeNY consulted a Magic 8 Ball and declared:
[...]

Ladies, do you remember those constrictive girdles that went from thigh
to bra? Well, that's what a tux feels like for some men, hot and
restrictive. They don't call 'em monkey suits because they are the nth
degree of comfort.

--
________
Brian M. Kochera
Old October 9th, 2007, 07:41 PM posted to rec.travel.cruises
LeeNY

On Oct 9, 2:32 pm, Rosalie B. wrote:
LeeNY wrote:
On Oct 8, 7:30 pm, Ike wrote:

I won't miss formal nights and won't sail on a line that insists
on that dress code, yet even on the most laid back ship I'll
wear a tweed jacket to evening meals.

Tweed in the Caribbean? That, I can't see. Perhaps a nice linen sport
coat or something like that. Tweed just screams winter and cold
weather to me.

Sometimes the dining rooms are really cold - they do that to
counteract all the heat people bring in from getting sunburned at the
beach I guess. I had to wear a sweater almost all the time in that
area.

Also, wool is a good insulator (from heat as well as cold). Arabian
robes worn in the desert are wool. And a winter jacket will probably
come in handy on the trip home when you have to dig your car out of
the snow.

Rosalie,

I'm not going to argue with you about the benefits of wool, Rosalie.
It's a very practical and useful fiber. My point was way more
superficial. Tweed in the Caribbean is to me like a Harvard law
professor wearing a Hawaiian shirt. Just doesn't seem to be a good
fit. But, if it works for Ike, who am I to argue? He knows what's
comfortable for him.

Lee

Old October 9th, 2007, 08:18 PM posted to rec.travel.cruises
Brian K[_1_]

On 10/8/2007 8:20 PM Bill consulted a Magic 8 Ball and declared:
clint wrote:

I can arrord not to sit with blue collar jerks discussing there plumbing
busines!

How about if that jerk had a tux? Then would be it be ok? How
about the other nights of the cruise? You're proof that clothes
don't matter. A buffoon in a tux is still a buffoon.

Bill

My grandfather was a very successful plumber. Even by 1819 standards he
probably made more than Clint (he's a senior) and his cow combined.
Isn't it funny how some people put down tradesmen, but that's the first
person they call if they have a leaky pipe? Then the plumber is their
best friend and they think nothing of pulling him away from his dinner,
because they are such good friends. I normally have Clint (he's a
senior) blocked as I find most of his posts inane. But, since you
quoted Clint, I felt a need to speak up for the memory of my grandfather
Bill Dunleavey.

--
________
Brian M. Kochera