Selling My Car in Mexico - The Ultimate Plan

Old November 25th, 2003, 08:27 PM
Bob F.

Default Selling My Car in Mexico - The Ultimate Plan

Jeez, by the caustic responses that I received from my previous posts you
would think that I was trying to dump toxic waste in Mexico or trying to
sell native Mexicans used clothing from the 70's. One excon was wagging his
finger at me and another guy hoped that I got locked up in a Mexican prison.
Who would have thunk that there would be so many anal-retentive types who
travelled to Latin America?

Anyhow, based upon your warnings which I've carefully considered, and your
castigations, which I've totally ignored, here is a new plan for smuggling a
car (which I own free and clear) into Mexico.

1. Register the car as a tourist and drive it to Guadalajara. Huge
market for used car parts, lots of junkyards. When you register the car,
don't do it with the credit card, instead pay the cash bond on the car. It
will be around $300 or $400 I believe.
2. Sell the car for parts. In fact have the car dismantled and sell all
of the parts.
3. Return to Mexico by bus with a hefty profit.
4. Gloat online to all of your detractors.

If any of you have ridden the bus north in Mexico you'll realize that nobody
asks to see your car permit since you a riding the bus. I don't believe
that there is any indication on your tourist visa that you entered in a
private vehicle. The last time that I payed for and received a tourist visa
in Mexico I don't remember them keying my passport number into any sort of
database. All of the processing was done with pen and paper.

No credit card fraud, all cash transaction. Only the car parts with stamped
VINs might be traceable, if anyone actually cared to hunt them down. The
body panels, wheels, engine components all converted into pure pesos.

For you saints out there that get heartburn from this plan you need to
remember that the only entity that's being ripped off in this plan would be
the corrupt Mexican government and the enormous taxes it imposes on all car
purchases.

Old November 25th, 2003, 09:05 PM
george

I think you are dreaming if you think you will make lots a money. what kind
of car and what year is it. if it is a truck and more than 10 years old you
can easily export it. In Guadalajara there is a lot of used car lots but
these guy are a lot smarter then us gringo I would suggest you research a
way to do it legally I think I read somewhere that after Jan 1 2004 it will
be easier because of NAFTA.
George

Old November 25th, 2003, 09:32 PM
Richard

"Bob F." wrote in message
. ..

1. Register the car as a tourist and drive it to Guadalajara.
Huge market for used car parts, lots of junkyards. When you
register the car, don't do it with the credit card, instead pay the
cash bond on the car. It will be around $300 or $400 I believe.
2. Sell the car for parts. In fact have the car dismantled and
sell all of the parts.
3. Return to Mexico by bus with a hefty profit.
4. Gloat online to all of your detractors.

Why are you so obsessed about selling your car in Mexico?

Where's the part of your plan about enjoying Mexico while you're down there?

Something just doesn't add up here.

Richard

Old November 25th, 2003, 10:47 PM
George

On Tue, 25 Nov 2003 16:32:18 -0500, "Richard" wrote:

"Bob F." wrote in message

1. Register the car as a tourist and drive it to Guadalajara.
Huge market for used car parts, lots of junkyards. When you
register the car, don't do it with the credit card, instead pay the
cash bond on the car. It will be around $300 or $400 I believe.
2. Sell the car for parts. In fact have the car dismantled and
sell all of the parts.
3. Return to Mexico by bus with a hefty profit.
4. Gloat online to all of your detractors.

Why are you so obsessed about selling your car in Mexico?

Where's the part of your plan about enjoying Mexico while you're down there?

Something just doesn't add up here.

Richard

It has made the group more interesting to follow. This group is
pretty dead most of the time.
Old November 26th, 2003, 01:10 AM
Technobarbarian

"Bob F." wrote in message
. ..

Anyhow, based upon your warnings which I've carefully considered, and your
castigations, which I've totally ignored, here is a new plan for smuggling

car (which I own free and clear) into Mexico.

1. Register the car as a tourist and drive it to Guadalajara. Huge
market for used car parts, lots of junkyards. When you register the car,
don't do it with the credit card, instead pay the cash bond on the car.

It
will be around $300 or $400 I believe.

Just a quess, but I would be very surprised if the Mexican authorities
are so dense that they ask for a cash bond smaller than the actual duty if
the car was legally imported. Please get back to us when you know the actual
numbers.

2. Sell the car for parts. In fact have the car dismantled and sell

all
of the parts.
3. Return to Mexico by bus with a hefty profit.
4. Gloat online to all of your detractors.

And this probably all works as long as you don't try to get a temporary
import permit for a second vehicle. The temporary import permit data *is*
computerized. Back during the period when the Mexican government thought
they could get by with adding a cash deposit requirement I was denied a
temporary import permit for one rig in Texas because I had another rig back
home in Arizona with a current permit on it. Reasoning that I was dealing
with Mexico I simply went to another entry point and got the permit after a
long wait in line. Personally I wouldn't want to gamble on that trick
remaining viable. The Mexican authorities tell me that if I show up at the
border with a motorhome towing a small car I won't be able to get a
temporary import permit for both vehicles unless there is a second person
there with their name on one of the vehicle's titles because they will not
issue two permits to one person.

Actually I suspect you are thinking too small. It looks like the real
action for the upcoming future is going to be smuggling prescription
medications into the US from Mexico and Canada and selling them to seniors
in areas distant from the borders. But then another interesting smuggling
operation I heard about was smuggling counterfit high quality cigars from
Cuba to Mexico. The dumb tourists who end up buying them never know the
difference. The guy who had pulled that one told me he lost money on the
real high quality cigars that he rowed across the Rio Grand with.

TB

Old November 26th, 2003, 01:41 AM
Caveat

On Tue, 25 Nov 2003 22:47:40 GMT, George wrote:

On Tue, 25 Nov 2003 16:32:18 -0500, "Richard" wrote:

"Bob F." wrote in message
t...

1. Register the car as a tourist and drive it to Guadalajara.
Huge market for used car parts, lots of junkyards. When you
register the car, don't do it with the credit card, instead pay the
cash bond on the car. It will be around $300 or $400 I believe.
2. Sell the car for parts. In fact have the car dismantled and
sell all of the parts.
3. Return to Mexico by bus with a hefty profit.
4. Gloat online to all of your detractors.

Why are you so obsessed about selling your car in Mexico?

Where's the part of your plan about enjoying Mexico while you're down there?

Something just doesn't add up here.

It has made the group more interesting to follow. This group is
pretty dead most of the time.

It's called trolling.

Old November 26th, 2003, 04:21 AM
MMcC

"Bob F." wrote in message
. ..
[...]

Not sure what decade you're living in, but................

"Note: If you do not possess an international credit card, you will be asked
to post a bond, payable to the Federal Treasury, issued by an authorized
bonding company in Mexico.

As an alternative to posting a bond, you may make a cash deposit at Banco
del Ejército in an amount equal to the value of your vehicle according to
the "Table of Vehicle Values for Bonding Companies" (see table at bottom of
the page for an idea of the cost).

Amount of Bond in US Dollars
Vehicle Class (1996-95) (1994-93) (1992-91) (1990-83) Earlier
1. Large and Luxury . $10,000 7,000 3,000 1,500 500
2. Pick up and Vans. 7,500 4,000 1,500 1,000 500
3. Medium and Compact . 6,000 3,000 1,000 750 500
4. European, Sports, Vintage Autos.

If you do not have an international credit card, Banco del Ejército will
accept a cash deposit in an amount equal to the value of you vehicle (see
table). Your deposit plus any interest it may earn will be returned to you
when you leave Mexico.

Or, you may choose to obtain a bond through an authorized Mexican bonding
company located at all the border crossings. The authorized bonding
companies will require a refundable deposit equal to the value of the
vehicle, according to the table below. The bonding company will also assess
taxes and processing costs for this service. This is generally the least
convenient, and most expensive way to get your vehicle into the country"

2. Sell the car for parts. In fact have the car dismantled and sell

all
of the parts.
3. Return to Mexico by bus with a hefty profit.
4. Gloat online to all of your detractors.

So you will either be out the total value of the car or you will have some
bonding company hunting your ass down after the Mexican govmint hits them up
for the total value of the car.

But hey, you get to gloat online! so it's worth it.

If any of you have ridden the bus north in Mexico you'll realize that

nobody
asks to see your car permit since you a riding the bus. I don't believe
that there is any indication on your tourist visa that you entered in a
private vehicle. The last time that I payed for and received a tourist

visa
in Mexico I don't remember them keying my passport number into any sort of
database. All of the processing was done with pen and paper.

No credit card fraud, all cash transaction.

Yes, either
a) All your cash to the tune of the total cost of the vehicle
b) the cash you paid for the bond to a company that has your personal info
and will come looking for you.

Only the car parts with stamped
VINs might be traceable, if anyone actually cared to hunt them down. The
body panels, wheels, engine components all converted into pure pesos.

For you saints out there that get heartburn from this plan you need to
remember that the only entity that's being ripped off in this plan would

be
the corrupt Mexican government and the enormous taxes it imposes on all

car
purchases.

Don't be such a ******, car prices in Mexico are comparable to many
countries the world over including most of the European Union. Actually cars
are cheaper in Mexico than Ireland for example. You are spoiled by cheap US
car prices, like you are spoiled by lots of cheap stuff in the US. That
doesn't mean that the Mexican government is corrupt just because they have
car taxes higher than the USA.
Grow up for ****'s sake.

Old November 26th, 2003, 06:48 PM
Bob F.

"Richard" wrote in message
"Bob F." wrote in message
. ..

1. Register the car as a tourist and drive it to Guadalajara.
Huge market for used car parts, lots of junkyards. When you
register the car, don't do it with the credit card, instead pay the
cash bond on the car. It will be around $300 or $400 I believe.
2. Sell the car for parts. In fact have the car dismantled and
sell all of the parts.
3. Return to Mexico by bus with a hefty profit.
4. Gloat online to all of your detractors.

Why are you so obsessed about selling your car in Mexico?

No particular reason, just that I have friends in Mexico who would like to
buy it (its a '95 Jetta), they have the cash, and are willing to offer me
about 50% more to purchase it than I can reasonably expect to receive here
in Texas if I put a "for sale" sign in the window. I just like the idea of
driving there and returning "sin coche".

Where's the part of your plan about enjoying Mexico while you're down

there?

Its in the plan, selling my car would just be part of my vacation, heck it
would probably even pay for my vacation. I'm just tired of going to Mexico
to spend money and having people ask to buy my car and I can't sell it to
them. I'm not smuggling drugs, I don't even consider this to be smuggling.
My friends in Mexico would consider it to be a favor since they would be
getting a decent car at a decent price.

Something just doesn't add up here.

What I find strange is the pure hatred expressed in the responses that I get
from people here! Why are people so mad that I'm expressing this idea about
selling my personal property to willing buyers? I suspect that its deep
seated resentment for people who express new and innovative ideas. The
people who get mad are the one's that really struggle to come up with an
original thought and are envious of those people that don't "tow the line".
Are these people appear to be apologist's for the Mexican government whose
representatives admit corruption and incompetence?

Maybe they see my ideas about selling my Jetta as violating some sacrosanct
"traveller's creed" that may have been published in some long forgotten
issue of "Let's Go To Mexico". Oh well, I've have distilled some nuggets
of knowledge from people's responses here and I thank you for them.

Perhaps we'll meet on a bus headed north in Mexico someday and we can all
have a good laugh about this. And I promise not to gloat or flash my wad of
pesos!! (he,he,he)

Richard

Old November 27th, 2003, 10:53 PM
Jaime Garcia

Prices in Mexico:
A legal mexican VW JETTA 95 $4,000 dollars maximum.
An illegal american VW JETTA 95 $400 dollars maximum.

regards...
Old December 1st, 2003, 04:14 PM
Mike McKinley

Bob F. wrote:
The people who get mad are the one's that really struggle to come up

with an
original thought and are envious of those people that don't "tow the line".

I think you mean "toe the line."