Vancouver to LA by bus in around 3 weeks: possible routes?

Old May 10th, 2004, 01:40 PM
Nick Whitelegg

Default Vancouver to LA by bus in around 3 weeks: possible routes?

Hello,

I'm from England and visiting Canada and the US this summer. My
intention is to combine travelling around with a few day hikes,
spending around a week to 10 days in the Vancouver area then
travelling by Greyhound or other overland transport down to LA.
Overall I have about a month (Jul 8 - Aug 5). I would like to
experience as many different landscapes as possible which you don't
get over here.

I have a couple of possible routes I'd like to try, both of which I
know are doable by public transport (according to Web sources). One is
Vancouver-Seattle-Portland-Bend-Mt Shasta town-EITHER San Francisco OR
Yosemite - LA.

The other is perhaps more ambitious: Vancouver-Canadian
Rockies-Calgary-Montana-Denver-LA, doing the Denver to LA leg as
quickly as possible, as from my understanding the worthwhile bits of
Utah are not accessible by bus.

Another option is to spend time in the Canadian Rockies, return to
Vancouver then go down to LA via a direct route (I-5 / San Francisco).

Any recommendations on any of these options? In particular, are the
Montana and Colorado Rockies sufficiently different in character to
merit visiting as well as the Canadian Rockies, or would I get more
out of the Oregon option with its volcanic landscapes?

Note that I have visited both San Francisco and Yosemite before,
though haven't spent a LONG time in either.

Finally, any recommendations for day hikes in any of these areas,
particularly the Vancouver area?

Thanks,
Nick
Old May 12th, 2004, 08:16 AM
~ rob ~

"Nick Whitelegg" wrote in message
om...
[...]

Hey Nick,

Grab a bus from downtown Vancouver to Horseshoe Bay, ferry to Bowen Island,
hike around Bowen for the day, return same evening.

See http://www.bowen-island-bc.com/

and http://wlapwww.gov.bc.ca/bcparks/

and http://www.city.vancouver.bc.ca/

Fer some real Cdn moosic, visit us at www.thelittlecanadaheadphoneband.ca