Daytrip - Glasgow to Fort William (and Mallaig?)

Old July 30th, 2004, 07:29 PM
Charles O'Neill

Default Daytrip - Glasgow to Fort William (and Mallaig?)

Is it realistically possible (and enjoyable) to try to make the train
trip from Glasgow to Fort William and return all in one day. Or is it
just too much time on the train? How about onward to Mallaig and
return? Is the extra time worth the journey to Mallaig?

Thanks for your help.

Charles
Old July 30th, 2004, 10:44 PM
Owain

"Charles O'Neill" wrote
| Is it realistically possible (and enjoyable) to try to make
| the train trip from Glasgow to Fort William and return all
| in one day. Or is it just too much time on the train?

Glasgow Queen St to Fort William is 3h43 - 4h24 (each way) on the train
according to www.scotrail.co.uk (exact duration varies on different
services)

| How about onward to Mallaig and return? Is the extra time
| worth the journey to Mallaig?

Glasgow QS to Mallaig is about 5h13, with some return journeys being as long
as 5h59. (exact duration varies on different services)

So if you left Glasgow at 8:12 you would arrive in Mallaig at 13:25
The return journey would be dep Mallaig depart 16:08 arr Glasgow - you would
get two and a half hours in Mallaig.

The next and last train from Mallaig is the 18:15 which has two changes and
arrives in Glasgow at 0:14 (ie after midnight the next day).

A Cheap Day Return (same day return) is GBP 29. For return the next day:

- an Apex Return is GBP 29.00 (7 day advance purchase, subject to
availability, seat reservations are compulsory and travel must be made on
the dates and services specified on the ticket, no change of travel
arrangements, 50% refund)

- a Saver Return is GBP 39.60. (No pre-booking is required, though a seat
reservation is recommended on popular services, full refund available if
ticket unused)

There are links to timetables and connecting ferry information at
http://www.scotrail.co.uk/railferries.htm

There are some joint rail/ferry fares at
http://www.scotrail.co.uk/railferry.htm

Is it worth going to Mallaig? UndiscoveredScotland thinks so:

Mallaig is a fascinating place. Take no notice of those who claim it is has
little to offer the visitor. It is a working port, and it is the port rather
than the tourist that forms the main focus of the activity of the town. It
makes a refreshing change to find a Highland town that still has this
option. But if you have a soft spot for the sea and for boats (and if you
don't, what are you doing in western Scotland?) then Mallaig is one of the
most attractive and interesting places you'll visit.
http://www.undiscoveredscotland.co.uk/mallaig/mallaig/

And Mallaig has a heritage cent

Once Europe's busiest herring port, it is still a major fishing centre,
landing large catches of prawns and other shellfish and, as the most
westerly harbour on the British mainland, it plays an important role as one
of the most important lifeboat stations on the west coast of Scotland.
1500 years ago the area was a buffer zone between the kingdom of the Picts
and the maritime kingdom of the Norsemen. Norse longships gave way to
Highland galleys as the area became part of the Hebridean Lordship of the
Isles, and did not come under the full control of the Scottish Crown until
the 16th century.
Not surprisingly, the area still retains its unique character and visitors
return again and again, to enjoy its spectacular mountain and coastal
scenery, pure white sandy beaches and one of the most spectacular railway
journeys in Europe.
http://www.mallaigheritage.org.uk/

Given the journey time though, although FW might be a day trip from Glasgow,
I'd suggest overnighting somewhere for Mallaig and the Isles.

Owain

Old July 30th, 2004, 10:44 PM
Owain

"Charles O'Neill" wrote

Old July 30th, 2004, 10:44 PM
Owain

"Charles O'Neill" wrote

Old July 31st, 2004, 01:18 AM
bogus address

Is it realistically possible (and enjoyable) to try to make
the train trip from Glasgow to Fort William and return all
in one day. Or is it just too much time on the train?
How about onward to Mallaig and return? Is the extra time
worth the journey to Mallaig?

There are day excursion trips from Glasgow in summer, using steam
trains on the Fort William-Mallaig bit. I think you may have to
book these some time in advance, though.

Day returns to Mallaig are sometimes sold as a cheap promotional
fare in the autumn - not sure when, or if they're still offering
them.

It's the most scenically memorable train ride in Britain by a long
way.

======== Email to "j-c" at this site; email to "bogus" will bounce ========
Jack Campin: 11 Third Street, Newtongrange, Midlothian EH22 4PU; 0131 6604760
http://www.purr.demon.co.uk/purrhome.html food intolerance data & recipes,
Mac logic fonts, Scots traditional music files and CD-ROMs of Scottish music.

Old July 31st, 2004, 05:48 PM
Charles O'Neill

Thanks for the two wonderful replies above.

My wife and I arrive in Glasgow (from the States) on Thursday a.m. We
will be in Glasgow until Monday, when we depart on a bus tour. Rather
than spending Thurs thru Sunday all in Glasgow, we want to see some of
the country that our tour doesn't cover. The train to Fort William
and return sounds like a good way to see some wonderfully scenic parts
of Scotland we'd otherwise miss.

I think we've ruled out the trip all the way to Mallaig - wish we had
the time to overnight, but we don't. It sounds it really demands an
overnight, for which we do not have the time.

So.. thinking now of the still very long train ride to Fort William -
with plenty of time for a liesurely lunch and some sightseeing, we may
give it a go. Still seems like a very long day (am planning on doing
this Friday, the day after we land in Glasgow - still trying to
overcome jet lag and time zone changes). I hope we don't sleep thru
the journey.

Would either of the two previous posters recommend this trip on
Friday, even if it's raining. Is the scenery still worthwhile in the
rain? Sounds like a great train ride - but not sure if it would be
worth it if it rains all day.

Are refreshments available aboard the train? Is the seating
comfortable?

Thanks in advance for your help!!
Old August 2nd, 2004, 01:01 AM
bogus address

[Glasgow]
may visit a museum or two - particularly Charles Rennie Mackintosh
house (I think we'll skip all the good art museums in Glasogw -
seen enough art museums to last me forever).

The Mackintosh house is part of Glasgow University's art gallery.
Two other Mackintosh buildings that are easy to get to are the
School of Art (Renfrew Street) and Scotland Street School (Govan;
accessible by the underground) which has been turned into a museum
of education.

St Mungo's Musuem of Religion is pretty good too (next to Glasgow
Cathedral and the amazing Victorian cemetery, the Necropolis).