Mount Rushmore & surrounding area

Old August 18th, 2006, 04:52 AM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
Christi

Default Mount Rushmore & surrounding area

I am taking a road trip to Mount Rushmore, and am curious about other things
to do in the area, or on the way (driving from near Denver). It is myself,
my six year old daughter, and my mom. I looked at the website for the
visitors center, but there is so much information that it is overwhelming.
I am curious about what activities are highly recommended, and that would
appeal to a six year old as well. We have thought about Devil's Tower, and
perhaps a cave tour. Any suggestions on Wind Caves versus Jewel Caves?
Also, I would like to take my daughter on her first river rafting trip - any
suggestions?

Any information would be helpful!
Thanks,
Christi

Old August 18th, 2006, 01:43 PM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
[email protected]

south dakota should be avoided at all cost. recent laws that have been
passed greatly restrict the freedom of people living there. It is
funny that while we are fighting to free people thousands of miles
away, basic rights can be snatched away from us here.

Chuck

Old August 18th, 2006, 02:02 PM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
Keith W[_1_]

wrote in message
oups.com...

south dakota should be avoided at all cost. recent laws that have been
passed greatly restrict the freedom of people living there. It is
funny that while we are fighting to free people thousands of miles
away, basic rights can be snatched away from us here.

Chuck

Be specific old boy

Just what laws have been passed and how do they greatly
restrict the freedom of travellers visiting the area ?

Keith

Old August 18th, 2006, 02:32 PM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
George Max[_1_]

On Thu, 17 Aug 2006 21:52:45 -0600, "Christi"
wrote:

I am taking a road trip to Mount Rushmore, and am curious about other things
to do in the area, or on the way (driving from near Denver). It is myself,
my six year old daughter, and my mom. I looked at the website for the
visitors center, but there is so much information that it is overwhelming.
I am curious about what activities are highly recommended, and that would
appeal to a six year old as well. We have thought about Devil's Tower, and
perhaps a cave tour. Any suggestions on Wind Caves versus Jewel Caves?
Also, I would like to take my daughter on her first river rafting trip - any
suggestions?

Any information would be helpful!
Thanks,
Christi

Custer State park just to the south has a large buffalo herd, I liked
Wind Cave, the big carving for Geronimo (?) is nearby, they've been
working on that for many years and have many years to go.

Devil's Tower is sorta nearby, and by that I mean about 100 miles
away.

For the adults, the town of Deadwood is nearby with gambling.
Old August 18th, 2006, 02:42 PM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
Keith W[_1_]

"Christi" wrote in message
I am taking a road trip to Mount Rushmore, and am curious about other
things
to do in the area, or on the way (driving from near Denver). It is
myself,
my six year old daughter, and my mom. I looked at the website for the
visitors center, but there is so much information that it is overwhelming.
I am curious about what activities are highly recommended, and that would
appeal to a six year old as well. We have thought about Devil's Tower,
and
perhaps a cave tour. Any suggestions on Wind Caves versus Jewel Caves?
Also, I would like to take my daughter on her first river rafting trip -
any
suggestions?

Any information would be helpful!
Thanks,
Christi

I highly recommend Custer State Park, its gorgeous and
the wildlife is amazing.

The scenery along the Needles Highway (SR 87) is
outstanding but be aware there are some VERY narrow tunnels
along the way, you wouldnt want to try it in a large RV

Devils Tower is interesting and your 6 year old will love
the prairie dog town at its base.

Heading east from Rapid City is Badlands NP and the
drugstore in the town of Wall is definitely worth coming off
the freeway for.

http://www.walldrug.com/

Keith

Old August 18th, 2006, 03:00 PM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
tery

I have just got back from my trip which included these places...
My sugestion:
going from SD:
go to town 1880 (costner make there dance with wolf.... nice place to
see 1-2 h max)
go to badlans national Park (2-3 h is enought)
go to Mount Rushmore (30 minut- 1 max)
Wind Cave... it doesn;t make too big impresion on me... small cave, 1
hour walkin distance maybe 0.6 mil... the best there was guide guy ...
Much more better is Mamout National Park (Kent.)
Deadwood you sould go there they have some show in one of the saloon...
and at 6 or 7 pm show on the street nice
I hope was helpfull...
btw... what law restriction you talk about.. ? for me SD was really nice
place to travel!

Old August 18th, 2006, 05:55 PM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
[email protected]

I will agree with the others though on Custer State Park, Needles
Highway, and while in Wall if you go for the drugstore, dont forget
about badlands......dont know if I would bother with Devils Tower,
other than to fill up the car with gas so SD doesnt get the tax
revenue.....

Chuck

Old August 18th, 2006, 06:03 PM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
[email protected]

Just what laws have been passed and how do they greatly
restrict the freedom of travellers visiting the area ?

Keith

I think I was pretty clear in stating that it effects the people living
in SD and not those traveling there. However, I think a lot of people
will be less likely to spend their $ in a state that has such Draconian
laws. The OP is traveling with 3 women, and thus I would think should
be less willing to put her $ into a states coffers that could give a
**** about the rights of any of the 3 in deciding what to do with their
own bodies assuming they were residents.

I was an assistant to a member of the APA and we had a conference
scheduled in Rapid City, we pulled out costing them hundreds of
thousands of dollars. We made sure they knew why we werent coming.

Chuck

Old August 18th, 2006, 06:30 PM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
Keith Willshaw[_1_]

wrote in message
ups.com...

Just what laws have been passed and how do they greatly
restrict the freedom of travellers visiting the area ?

Keith

I think I was pretty clear in stating that it effects the people living
in SD and not those traveling there.

Nope you simply said ""south dakota should be avoided at all cost. "

However, I think a lot of people
will be less likely to spend their $ in a state that has such Draconian
laws. The OP is traveling with 3 women, and thus I would think should
be less willing to put her $ into a states coffers that could give a
**** about the rights of any of the 3 in deciding what to do with their
own bodies assuming they were residents.

I was an assistant to a member of the APA

WHICH APA ?

A google search provides 70 MILLION hits

Association of Publishing Agencies
American Psychological Association
Association of Police Authorities
American Planning Association
American Philosophical Association
Advertising Producers Association
American Poolplayers Association
American Payroll Association
Animal Protection Agency

and we had a conference
scheduled in Rapid City, we pulled out costing them hundreds of
thousands of dollars. We made sure they knew why we werent coming.

I hope you asked your members before imposing your views on
them. You seem to have below average communication skills
and you still havent answered the question I asked.

Keith

Old August 18th, 2006, 11:36 PM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
John[_3_]

I really liked Presidents Park in Lead, SD.  Also, Crazy Horse Memorial even though it is not finished yet is still impressive.

Christi wrote: I am taking a road trip to Mount Rushmore, and am curious about other things