Food recs in Sydney, Cairnes, and Ayers

Old March 13th, 2005, 12:55 AM

Default Food recs in Sydney, Cairnes, and Ayers

I'm going to be visiting these cities next week and was wondering if
anyone could provide a list of MUST-GO-TO restaurants. Food interests
are diverse, but would prefer Australian-centric cuisine. Thanks!

-Californian

Old March 13th, 2005, 06:49 AM
Jeff

wrote in message
ups.com...
I'm going to be visiting these cities next week and was wondering if
anyone could provide a list of MUST-GO-TO restaurants. Food interests
are diverse, but would prefer Australian-centric cuisine. Thanks!

-Californian

Sydney -- Longrain
Cairns - the bistro below the Hilton, Mondo Cafe Bar and Grill.. outdoor
dining, good food, casual,
inexpensive and overlooking Cairns Harbour
Ayers Rock - Sounds of Silence

cheers Jeff
http://community.webshots.com/user/surfoz

Old March 13th, 2005, 08:54 AM
inquisitive

Thanks Jeff! That's perfect!

Old March 13th, 2005, 09:16 AM
Jeff

no worries, oh,,, a word to the wise,,
book for Sounds now, often very heavily booked!

"inquisitive" wrote in message
ups.com...
Thanks Jeff! That's perfect!

Old March 14th, 2005, 12:59 AM
Tom

I would suggest when you are in Sydney take the ferry to Watsons Bay,
at the wharf is a take-away version of Doyle's on the Beach. Get some
of their fish & chips and take it over to the park and watch the city
from across the harbour.

If you do this too late in the day to get the ferry back to Circular
Quay don't worry, there is a regular bus service from the top of the
park that goes back to the city well into the evening.

Tom
Old March 14th, 2005, 08:44 PM
Tom Johnstone

Tom wrote:
I would suggest when you are in Sydney take the ferry to Watsons Bay,
at the wharf is a take-away version of Doyle's on the Beach. Get some
of their fish & chips and take it over to the park and watch the city
from across the harbour.

If you do this too late in the day to get the ferry back to Circular
Quay don't worry, there is a regular bus service from the top of the
park that goes back to the city well into the evening.

Tom

I second this advice. Alternatively, go to the Pub (to the left as you
get off the ferry) and have a beer/glass of wine and some fish & chips
and watch the sunset from there. Beware that it gets crowded, though the
inside upstairs bar is usually less crowded.

Tom
Old March 24th, 2005, 06:56 PM
Egmontgirl

I agree, Sounds of Silence is not to be missed.

In Cairns, if you're looking for something truly different the
Cairns Night Zoo offers a huge BBQ dinner around a campfire, includes
the alcohol and soft drinks and transfers from your hotel. So you get a
guided spotlighting tour - with some great wildlife, billy tea &
campfire with the Kangaroos. Great too if you're traveling alone as
you'll meet lots of people.

For some upscale gourmet Austral-Asian dining: Red Ochre Grill
Restaurant - so delicious.

Have a fabulous trip.

-Eg