Flight delays warning for Heathrow passengers

Old April 20th, 2007, 11:31 AM posted to rec.travel.europe,rec.travel.air
sLuGhUnTeR

Default Flight delays warning for Heathrow passengers

http://uk.news.yahoo.com/itn/2007042...p-dba1618.html

Passengers hoping to jet off to foreign climes this weekend could face
huge delays as air traffic control at Britain's largest airport is
upgraded.

The new £50 million control tower will come into operation at Heathrow
Airport at 2am on Saturday and follows two years of planning.

National Air Traffic Services (Nats) said it was reducing the number
of landings while controllers familiarised themselves with the new
tower.

Nats general manager Martyn Jeffery added: "I'm confident they will
quickly build familiarity.

"Nonetheless, at an airport used as intensively as Heathrow, this
means it is possible there will be some delays to flights although we
are working very closely with (airport operator) BAA, and with British
Airways, bmi and other airlines, to make sure any delay is minimal."

The new tower is 285ft high and and is key to the start of operation
of Heathrow's new Terminal 5, which opens in March 2008.

Old April 20th, 2007, 08:27 PM posted to rec.travel.europe,rec.travel.air
sLuGhUnTeR

On Apr 20, 12:31 pm, sLuGhUnTeR wrote:
http://uk.news.yahoo.com/itn/2007042...-warning-for-h...

[...]

oh rillllllly!

Old April 20th, 2007, 10:40 PM posted to rec.travel.europe,rec.travel.air
Deeply Filled Mortician

Make credence recognised that on 20 Apr 2007 12:27:31 -0700,
sLuGhUnTeR has scripted:

On Apr 20, 12:31 pm, sLuGhUnTeR wrote:
http://uk.news.yahoo.com/itn/2007042...-warning-for-h...

Passengers hoping to jet off to foreign climes this weekend could face
huge delays as air traffic control at Britain's largest airport is
upgraded.

The new tower is 285ft high and and is key to the start of operation
of Heathrow's new Terminal 5, which opens in March 2008.

oh rillllllly!

OK, just whose impersonating who here?
--
---
DFM - http://www.deepfriedmars.com
Old April 21st, 2007, 07:29 PM posted to rec.travel.europe,rec.travel.air
Binyamin Dissen

On 20 Apr 2007 03:31:34 -0700 sLuGhUnTeR wrote:

:http://uk.news.yahoo.com/itn/2007042...p-dba1618.html

:Passengers hoping to jet off to foreign climes this weekend could face
:huge delays as air traffic control at Britain's largest airport is
:upgraded.

The only reason to possibly fly to the UK is to get to the UK, and even so it
may be better to go to France and take the chunnel.

My next scheduled trip showed that going thru the UK looked better on paper.
But with their lost luggage, silly carry-on restrictions and other problems I
had little hope of it working close to OK and chose another itinerary.

--
Binyamin Dissen
http://www.dissensoftware.com

Old April 21st, 2007, 07:51 PM posted to rec.travel.europe,rec.travel.air
William Black

"Binyamin Dissen" wrote in message
On 20 Apr 2007 03:31:34 -0700 sLuGhUnTeR wrote:

:http://uk.news.yahoo.com/itn/2007042...p-dba1618.html

:Passengers hoping to jet off to foreign climes this weekend could face
:huge delays as air traffic control at Britain's largest airport is
:upgraded.

The only reason to possibly fly to the UK is to get to the UK, and even so
it
may be better to go to France and take the chunnel.

My next scheduled trip showed that going thru the UK looked better on
paper.
But with their lost luggage, silly carry-on restrictions and other
problems I
had little hope of it working close to OK and chose another itinerary.

The bad news is that the silly carry-on restrictions have echoed through to
the rest of Europe.

I've never had a piece of luggage lost at Heathrow either, although I don't
fly BA unless I can help it.

Heathrow remains a dreadful place to pass through. It's dirty and badly
managed and the staff are only ever half trained, but you can at least get a
decent cup of coffee there at a price that isn't too dreadful and the
shopping isn't bad.

--
William Black

Time for tea.

Old April 22nd, 2007, 07:15 AM posted to rec.travel.europe,rec.travel.air
Vainglorious

On Sat, 21 Apr 2007 18:51:09 GMT, "William Black"
wrote:

Heathrow remains a dreadful place to pass through. It's dirty and badly
managed and the staff are only ever half trained, but you can at least get a
decent cup of coffee there at a price that isn't too dreadful and the
shopping isn't bad.

I concur.

There's something dreadfully depressing about LHR*. The terminals seem
dark for some reason...gray and uninviting. I have never really seen
any staff there, outside of security, customs and airline employees.
When I need help, I just as anyone with a weak chin.

One would think that England, despite her economic ennui, would have
the wherewithall to make her flagship airport a world-class experience
for travelers.

I really like CPH. While I don't expect every national airport to
install nice hardwood flooring throughout, I do expect that a world
power like the UK could do a bit more to fluff up her bedraggled
travel hub.

I'm frankly amazed at some airports. LA is one of the most populous
and prosperous cities in the world, and her airport is a disgusting,
smelly crap-hole. I hate that place. They haven't replaced the
carpeting in 25 years, and there's been an awful lot of vomit and
toddler diarrhea in the interim.

- TR
* One good thing about Terminal Four: the "quiet room" is a brilliant
idea that more airports should consider.

Old April 22nd, 2007, 08:48 AM posted to rec.travel.europe,rec.travel.air
[email protected]

On Apr 22, 8:15 am, VainGlorious
wrote:

There's something dreadfully depressing about LHR*. The terminals seem
dark for some reason...gray and uninviting. I have never really seen
any staff there, outside of security, customs and airline employees.
When I need help, I just as anyone with a weak chin.

One would think that England, despite her economic ennui, would have
the wherewithall to make her flagship airport a world-class experience
for travelers.

I really like CPH. While I don't expect every national airport to
install nice hardwood flooring throughout, I do expect that a world
power like the UK could do a bit more to fluff up her bedraggled
travel hub.

LHR is indeed a horrible place - dark corridors with no windows, poor
signing, queues springing up for no reason, hopelessly crowded, the
annoying "one bag" rule. The only good reason for going there is to
get a BA flight with back-to-front seating, and to buy books at UK
prices and not have to suck up Amazon shipping costs.

However, to associate it with British "economic ennui" (what "ennui"
would that be?) is a bit daft. It's just under-spec'ed for the job it
now has to do, precisely because of Britain's economic progress. To
compare it with CPH where only 2 men and a dog are ever passing
through is unrealistic.

I'll be passing through JFK next weekend - we'll see if that is as
awful as I remember it.

B;