Unusual to give passport & credit card photocopies for hotel reservation? [Rio de Janeiro]

Old November 23rd, 2006, 11:11 PM posted to rec.travel.latin-america
VChao

Default Unusual to give passport & credit card photocopies for hotel reservation? [Rio de Janeiro]

I'm an American making a hotel reservation in Rio de Janeiro. The hotel
has requested photocopies of my passport and my credit card to make the
reservation and charge me a deposit.

Does this seem unusual? The hotel:
http://www.paysanduhotel.com.br/port/

I don't want to get caught up in identity theft.

Thank you for helping this first time traveler to South America!

Old November 24th, 2006, 12:58 AM posted to rec.travel.latin-america
JohnM

In article .com,
VChao writes
I'm an American making a hotel reservation in Rio de Janeiro. The hotel
has requested photocopies of my passport and my credit card to make the
reservation and charge me a deposit.

Does this seem unusual? The hotel:
http://www.paysanduhotel.com.br/port/

I don't want to get caught up in identity theft.

Thank you for helping this first time traveler to South America!

I don't think that giving a photocopy of your passport and credit card
will result in identity theft. It can be more easily done when you
arrive, if the hotel is that way inclined. Simply, you will find that
some places in Brazil and South America still use manual ways of
administration.

--
John Malathronas
Author of Brazil: Life, Blood, Soul &

Old November 24th, 2006, 09:15 AM posted to rec.travel.latin-america
WAS

Doing that for almost 30 years and 12 trips to Latin America I never had
problems

WAS

"Helene" a écrit dans le message de news:
I would go to another hotel. I have never experienced a request for credit
card foto ANYWHERE.
cheers, H

oups.com...