Hawaii, the big island

Old February 18th, 2006, 11:26 PM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada

Default Hawaii, the big island

We will visit Hawaii, the big island, next September for five nights, four
full days.I realize that this will give us a glimpse at best, but we must
make do on this trip. We'll fly from Maui and will have to return to Maui
for our return flight to California. My wife has been to the big island a
very, very long time ago, when it was still forming, I think. This will be
my first visit. I am pondering flying into Hilo, thence doing a circuit of
the island, staying in B&Bs en route, and ending at Hilo. Is this a good
idea? Or would it be better to fly into Hilo, stay there a few days, and
make day excursions in the vicinity? Then drive to Kona and stay a few days,
taking day excursions from Kona. Then fly back to Maui from Kona.

Of course, I am researching the trip, but I would appreciate your
suggestions for must-see attractions and for accommodation. I particularly
like B&B or small lodges or small hotels with local ambiance. Many thanks
for your help.

Old February 19th, 2006, 12:08 AM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada

It seems to me I heard somewhere that HH wrote in article
:

[...]

My experience is based on trips to Hilo over the years. Hilo and the
east side are much more "small townish" and rainier than the drier west
side (Kona and surroundings). However, it's closer to the Volcano
National Park section at Kilauea and Mauna Loa, has some pretty falls
and interesting attractions like orchid, anthurium, and macadamia farms,
and the Pacific Tsunami museum built after the devastating tsunami of
1946. Hotel lodging is relatively limited, mostly situated close to
Hilo Bay, and aging compared to what's available on the Kona side (also
cheap compared to Kona G). I don't know anything about B&Bs or small
inns.

Kona has golf, luxury resort hotels, golf, coffee farms, golf, tourists,
golf, some spectacular tropical desert scenery, golf, surf and sand,
golf, and welcome mats for tourists and golfers. :-)

Depending on availability of flight arrangements, you may want to
consider flying into Kona rather than Hilo; I think a few direct flights
from the mainland go to both areas, but not all lines and not all
flights.

IMO wherever you go on the Big Island you won't be sorry. ISTM four
days is about the minimum you need to get a good taste of it.
--
Don Kirkman
Old February 19th, 2006, 12:31 AM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada

In article ,
HH wrote:
My wife has been to the big island a
very, very long time ago, when it was still forming, I think.

Just a suggestion--don't use that line where she can overhear it. :-)

I am pondering flying into Hilo, thence doing a circuit of
the island, staying in B&Bs en route, and ending at Hilo. Is this a good
idea? Or would it be better to fly into Hilo, stay there a few days, and
make day excursions in the vicinity? Then drive to Kona and stay a few days,
taking day excursions from Kona. Then fly back to Maui from Kona.

You might want to first check into airfares to find out whether there's
any penalty for doing an "open jaw" trip (fly into Hilo, fly out of Kona).
If so, that might make the decision for you. If not, then your options
are open. I think either approach would work. It isn't as though it's
a long trip from Kona back to Hilo.

BTW, Hilo doesn't seem to get as many recommendations in this group
as does the Kailua-Kona area. But I prefer the Hilo side because I
hate hot sticky weather. Yeah, it rains more there, but it's also
cooler and greener. Besides, the rain isn't that cold! (Well, not
in the Hilo area. Up around Parker Ranch, it can get very chilly.)
So I definitely recommend that you spend some time in the Hilo area.

Of course, I am researching the trip, but I would appreciate your
suggestions for must-see attractions and for accommodation. I particularly
like B&B or small lodges or small hotels with local ambiance.

I haven't been to the Big Island in a long time, so I won't tackle
the lodging question. But as for attractions, obviously Hawaii Volcanoes
National Park. City of Refuge. Perhaps Ka Lae (the southernmost point
in the U.S.). There are also some lovely public gardens that have been
mentioned previously in this group. I think it was Manuka State Wayside
Park that a friend and I stopped at once. Be sure to see one of the
black sand beaches, and also a green sand beach if you can. Waipio
Valley. Mauna Kea if you can. (I think you'd have to go on an organized
tour.) And beach time, of course. Lots to do!

Patty

Old February 19th, 2006, 01:03 AM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada

Don Kirkman wrote in
:
My experience is based on trips to Hilo over the years. Hilo and the
east side are much more "small townish" and rainier than the drier west
side (Kona and surroundings).

That's why I like Hilo more than the big tourist resorts around Kona. Hilo
is friendlier and the rainforests and waterfalls are beautiful.
Old February 19th, 2006, 09:30 PM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada

It seems to me I heard somewhere that Don Kirkman wrote in article
:

It seems to me I heard somewhere that HH wrote in article
:

We will visit Hawaii, the big island, next September for five nights, four
full days.I realize that this will give us a glimpse at best, but we must
make do on this trip. We'll fly from Maui and will have to return to Maui
for our return flight to California.

[. . .]

Of course, I am researching the trip, but I would appreciate your
suggestions for must-see attractions and for accommodation. I particularly
like B&B or small lodges or small hotels with local ambiance. Many thanks
for your help.

My experience is based on trips to Hilo over the years. Hilo and the
east side are much more "small townish" and rainier than the drier west
side (Kona and surroundings).

About 25 seconds after I hit the Send key I realized you weren't flying
from the mainland but from Maui, so my suggestions about flights are
beside the point. :-)
--
Don Kirkman
Old February 19th, 2006, 10:22 PM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada

Thanks for all the good comment. I agree with the sentiments that favor the
Hilo side. I have decided that we will fly Maui to Hilo and return. We'll
begin with a night in Hilo, drive around the island, staying en route, and
end with a night in Hilo. BTW there are direct flights from Maui (OGG) to
both Kona and Hilo, and there is no penalty for an open-jaws schedule.

Harlan