Stopovers...en route.

Old November 29th, 2004, 01:45 PM
elliot

Default Stopovers...en route.

Last August my wife and I flew JFK to Bangkok on Aeroflot..and we were
allowed to stopover in Moscow for several days (visa required) , which
in our mind was like free air fare to Moscow...any one have similar
trips they are aware of?
We found this to be an enjoyable way to travel...two trips for the price
of one really.

Old November 29th, 2004, 02:58 PM
Gregory Morrow

elliot wrote:

Last August my wife and I flew JFK to Bangkok on Aeroflot..and we were
allowed to stopover in Moscow for several days (visa required) , which
in our mind was like free air fare to Moscow...any one have similar
trips they are aware of?
We found this to be an enjoyable way to travel...two trips for the price
of one really.

Boy you must be a glutton for punishment - you had to endure both SU *and*
SVO...!!!

--
Best
Greg

Old November 30th, 2004, 01:44 PM
elliot

does Malaysian fly out of JFK...?

Old November 30th, 2004, 01:44 PM
elliot

does Malaysian fly out of JFK...?

Old November 30th, 2004, 02:08 PM
elliot

Strange how screwed up airline pricing can be...We flew the JFK Moscow
Bangkok in August..(Air bus I think) high season for Moscow for $900.00
I just checked with SAS...forJanuary Newark to Copenhagen (stayover) on
to Bangkok, as for January, like anyone wants to go to Copenhagen in
January anyway, $3000.00
go figure...

I sometimes think the reservartions people get a bonus if they can price
gouge...

I have called Continental 4 times in fifteen minutes and gotten 4
different prices for the same trip.

Old November 30th, 2004, 03:34 PM
Gregory Morrow

elliot wrote:

Strange how screwed up airline pricing can be...We flew the JFK Moscow
Bangkok in August..(Air bus I think) high season for Moscow for $900.00
I just checked with SAS...forJanuary Newark to Copenhagen (stayover) on
to Bangkok, as for January, like anyone wants to go to Copenhagen in
January anyway, $3000.00
go figure...

In the case of Aeroflot vs. SAS it's not "gouging" - it's the fact that
Aeroflot is a crummy Third World airline who will do just about anything to
sell a ticket...SAS is a top - class carrier with a fine reputation so you
have to factor that in...

Flying Aeroflot especially on any long - haul route connecting through
Moscow is a real roll of the dice, e.g. you may discover at some point that
your reservation has been mysteriously "lost", and SU will gouge you for the
price of a new ticket...you may have to pay a cash bribe to counter staff
(especially in a third world station) in order to board...your flight may be
cancelled for days on end, etc. Then there is the nightmare of Sheremetevyo
airport, the famously crummy and inconsistent Aeroflot "service", their
generally dilapidated fleet...

With SAS you don't have to worry about *any* of that stuff.

"You get what you pay for" definitely applies in this scenario...

I sometimes think the reservartions people get a bonus if they can price
gouge...

If anybody is doing any "gouging" it will be Aeroflot - bribery and
corruption are endemic to the carrier because these are traits endemic to
Russia in general...

--
Best
Greg