Stolen camera from checked in baggage

Old April 17th, 2005, 02:11 AM
ant

PTRAVEL wrote:
At this point in time, anyone naive enough (I almost wrote "stupid
enough") to put valuables in checked bags, particularly when they
know that they must be unlocked for TSA inspection, deserves to have
them stolen.
This isn't a United problem -- it's a passenger-without-common-sense
problem. I don't know any cure for that.

So we can't travel with anything valuable? So we are to believe that their
airlines are guarding our safety from bombs and whatnot, but our valuables
are not safe? This is such a laughable premise.

ant

Old April 17th, 2005, 02:26 AM
Alan S

On Sun, 17 Apr 2005 09:29:19 +1000, Alan S
wrote:

On 16 Apr 2005 11:53:25 -0700, wrote:

On the bright side, just think of this way, no one decided to put drugs
and/or firearms into your bag.

Yep. I'm much more concerned about what they may put in,
rather than what they may steal.

The Corby case is starting to look very grim, with the
prosecution likely to ask for the death penalty.

http://smh.com.au/news/National/Doct...251728382.html

Cheers, Alan, Australia

Today's follow-up report:
http://smh.com.au/news/National/New-...676629205.html

New evidence given to Corby's lawyers
April 17, 2005 - 5:24AM

A note by a security official who died mysteriously after
alleging drug-running at Sydney Airport has been delivered
to lawyers for Schapelle Corby, according to a Sunday
newspaper.

The Sunday Telegraph says the lawyers claim the note is
evidence supporting Corby's plea that she is an innocent
victim of criminal networks using airports for drug
trafficking.

Corby, 27, is being held in a Bali jail awaiting the outcome
of her trial on charges that she smuggled 4.1kg of marijuana
into Denpasar airport last October.

She denies the charges, which could attract the death
penalty, and claims the drugs were planted in her unlocked
body-board bag, possibly by a baggage handler involved in an
Australian drug ring.

The note's author, former Australian Protective Services
officer Gary Lee-Rogers, was found dead in his Queanbeyan
flat in October 2002.

An autopsy was unable to ascertain the cause of death, but
Mr Lee-Rogers' family and whistle-blowers believe he was
murdered after allegedly uncovering corruption in the APS's
operations at the airport, the Sunday Telegraph says.
AdvertisementAdvertisement

Lawyers for the Gold Coast beautician told the paper they
intended to use this latest information in final submissions
to the court.

The paper says that in emails to friends, Mr Lee-Rogers
predicted he would be killed because of what he had
allegedly discovered, and said his death would be covered up
as a suicide.

Cheers, Alan, Australia
Old April 17th, 2005, 03:40 AM
PTRAVEL

"ant" wrote in message
Arun Sharma wrote:
Any suggestions on how to make United do a better job of protecting
customer property from being stolen or provide compensation?

-Arun

http://www.sharma-home.net/weblogs/2005/Apr/15

Just came back from a trip to Europe on United and had the frustrating
experience of having my camera stolen from a checked in bag. United
tells me that I shouldn't have put any electronic items in my bag in
the first place.

Yet if you try to take a digital camera on with you, they make a fuss over
it.

Who makes a fuss over a digital camera? I've carried one (and a digital
camcorder) on about 3 dozen international trips originating in the US,and
I've never had anyone make any kind of fuss whatsoever. Digital cameras are
permitted as carryon.

You can't win. I have a very small one and put it in the toe of my ski
boot, with other small things packed into the ski boot. So far so good but
it is VERY frustrating to have to worry about theft from checked bags.

ant

Old April 17th, 2005, 03:43 AM
PTRAVEL

"ant" wrote in message
PTRAVEL wrote:
At this point in time, anyone naive enough (I almost wrote "stupid
enough") to put valuables in checked bags, particularly when they
know that they must be unlocked for TSA inspection, deserves to have
them stolen.
This isn't a United problem -- it's a passenger-without-common-sense
problem. I don't know any cure for that.

So we can't travel with anything valuable?

Of course we can. We carry them on with us.

So we are to believe that their airlines are guarding our safety from
bombs and whatnot, but our valuables are not safe? This is such a
laughable premise.

It's a liability issue, which is one of the reasons that airlines cap their
liability (and why the Warsaw Convention caps liability for international
flights). Also, if you've flown recently, you'll have noticed all those
folks in TSA uniforms -- they open bags and inspect them at their whim. Do
you expect airlines to be responsible for the contents of bags when they're
not in their possession, custody or control?

If you have valuables carry them on. As I said, this isn't a United

Old April 17th, 2005, 04:19 AM
MC

"ant" wrote in message
Arun Sharma wrote:
Yet if you try to take a digital camera on with you, they make a fuss over
it.

Eh? When? Where? How?

Never heard of that before.

MC

Old April 17th, 2005, 04:32 AM
Deirdre Saoirse Moen

Service Tech wrote:
What other items would you possibly want to carry on that are more
important?

Prescriptions, a CPAP machine, that sort of thing.

--
_Deirdre web: http://deirdre.net blog: http://deirdre.org/blog/
"Memes are a hoax! Pass it on!"
Old April 17th, 2005, 09:14 AM
Scott Howard

Alan S wrote:
Today's follow-up report:
http://smh.com.au/news/National/New-...676629205.html

New evidence given to Corby's lawyers

She'll get off for sure now. Not only has she got the (alleged) rapist
backing up her story, but also an ex-cop who's been dead for 3 years.

How could they possibly convict her with that on her side?

Scott

Old April 17th, 2005, 11:01 AM
Alan S

On 17 Apr 2005 08:14:15 GMT, Scott Howard
wrote:

Alan S wrote:
Today's follow-up report:
http://smh.com.au/news/National/New-...676629205.html

New evidence given to Corby's lawyers

She'll get off for sure now. Not only has she got the (alleged) rapist
backing up her story, but also an ex-cop who's been dead for 3 years.

How could they possibly convict her with that on her side?

Scott

The only way she'll get off for sure is to pay the right
amount. Unfortunately, when the overtures for the bribe were
made, her friend with the money told our media instead of
just asking how much.

I believe she's innocent, but that's totally irrelevant in
Indonesian law.

Cheers, Alan, Australia
Old April 17th, 2005, 05:07 PM
Runge

North America of course...
Well this is Europe here

"Service Tech" a écrit dans le message de news:

"Runge" wrote in message
My cushions to help me sleep as I dont travel first class, my book(s), my
documents, my payment cards etc etc
Sometimes i get air sick, so yes my pills
Etc etc
5 kgs are easily reachable

"Service Tech" a écrit dans le message de news:

"Runge" wrote in message
If you have to take your different electronic devices with you in the
cabin (often 5 kg per pax), well !
A camcorder, a digital cam, a portable hard drive + all the cables,
maybe you'd like to carry something else in the cabin so how do you do
all that????

What other items would you possibly want to carry on that are more
important?

IF you're limited on your carry-ons, then I suspect you do have a problem.
I only travel North & South America, and so far, carry-on weight has never
been an issue. All of my electronics stay with me in my carry-on.