Windowless Hotel Rooms

Old August 3rd, 2005, 06:21 PM
tim \(moved to sweden\)

Default Windowless Hotel Rooms

At the weekend I saw two TV programs about Hotels that
had rooms without windows and the presenters were most
dismissive of the idea, complaining that a windowless hotel
room was a bad deal. It seems that these rooms are around
30% cheaper than ones with window's.

Well, perhaps I am alone, but except in those places where
there is a worthwhile view (and frankly most of the rooms
I end up with have a view of the house across the street's
washing line at best) I find a window a right pain. They let
all the street noise in (which in some cities is considerable)
and at this time of the year usually let the light in at about
04:00 waking me up.

I can think of many locations that I have stayed at, that I
would have paid extra not to have a view of the next
house's washing line, and if they are offering me this at
30% off I'll snap their hand off.

All other things being equal, I say lets have more of these
rooms.

What do others think?

Tim

Old August 3rd, 2005, 06:26 PM
Jim Ley

On Wed, 3 Aug 2005 19:21:23 +0200, "tim \(moved to sweden\)"
wrote:

I can think of many locations that I have stayed at, that I
would have paid extra not to have a view of the next
house's washing line, and if they are offering me this at
30% off I'll snap their hand off.

Absolutely, they can also be in noisier areas than would otherwise be
possible. For the little time I spend in hotel rooms I'll be more
than happy to save the cash.

Jim.
Old August 3rd, 2005, 08:30 PM

Not me... I hate windows on airshafts or no window at all. I need the
sun or natural light no matter the view (except aforementioned air
shafts). Ugh!

Old August 3rd, 2005, 08:35 PM
Jack Campin - bogus address

I can think of many locations that I have stayed at, that
I would have paid extra not to have a view of the next
house's washing line, and if they are offering me this at
30% off I'll snap their hand off.

Absolutely, they can also be in noisier areas than would
otherwise be possible.

Some of us like the variety of noises you get through hotel room
windows. Church bells, calls to prayer, market stalls setting up,
marital disputes in foreign languages, the chug of mobylettes
being used as trucks, wedding and circumcision parades, ferryboat
horns, football songs for teams you've never heard of before...
who'd want to shut all that out?

Old August 3rd, 2005, 08:52 PM
Jim Ley

On Wed, 03 Aug 2005 20:35:18 +0100, Jack Campin - bogus address
wrote:

I can think of many locations that I have stayed at, that
I would have paid extra not to have a view of the next
house's washing line, and if they are offering me this at
30% off I'll snap their hand off.

Absolutely, they can also be in noisier areas than would
otherwise be possible.

Some of us like the variety of noises you get through hotel room
windows. Church bells, calls to prayer, market stalls setting up,
marital disputes in foreign languages, the chug of mobylettes
being used as trucks, wedding and circumcision parades, ferryboat
horns, football songs for teams you've never heard of before...
who'd want to shut all that out?

Someone who wants some sleep? and when they don't they can go
outside, or to a bar to get that? That's my view anyway...

Jim.
Old August 3rd, 2005, 09:09 PM

tim (moved to sweden) wrote:
At the weekend I saw two TV programs about Hotels that
had rooms without windows and the presenters were most
dismissive of the idea, complaining that a windowless hotel
room was a bad deal. It seems that these rooms are around
30% cheaper than ones with window's.

[snip]
All other things being equal, I say lets have more of these
rooms.

What do others think?

I guess my first thought is that I'm not too keen on
the idea of a room with only one exit. At the very least
a window gives me something to break and tie up some
sheets to shinny down in a fire. But I guess I want to
know a wee bit about the outside weather before I
typically leave as well. Even if it is just sticking
my nose out the window.

Old August 3rd, 2005, 10:48 PM
Nige

"tim (moved to sweden)" wrote in message
[...]

Yes I agree ! And my ideal hotel room would not only have no windows, but
also provide accurate A/C with a variety of room fresheners, a wide screen
plasma screen featuring soft porn channels, simple to use telephone that can
be used to dial any call girl centre within 20 minutes reach, a mini bar
with ample free selection of wines and beers, and a mirror on the ceiling.

Oh and a large shower big enough for 3 to stand in comfortably.

Old August 4th, 2005, 08:56 AM
The Reids

Following up to tim (moved to sweden)

All other things being equal, I say lets have more of these
rooms.

What do others think?

we are usually happy to pay extra for a good view and a balcony.
We very much regard the hotel as part of the holiday, not just a
way of being in a place and sleeping.
--
Mike Reid
Walk-eat-UK "http://www.fellwalk.co.uk" -- you can email us@ this site