Dining times

Old July 14th, 2006, 10:14 PM posted to rec.travel.cruises
Charles[_1_]

Default Dining times

In article .com,
Warren wrote:

In the open seating "main" dining rooms, NCL serves the same menu.

What's so difficult about selecting one venue? The food is the same.

The menus in the main dining rooms are somewhat different. The same
entrees are served but in a slightly different style. Maybe you did not
read them carefully and did not notice.

--
Charles
Old July 15th, 2006, 01:33 AM posted to rec.travel.cruises
dh

"Charles" wrote in message
d...
In article .com,
Warren wrote:

In the open seating "main" dining rooms, NCL serves the same menu.

What's so difficult about selecting one venue? The food is the same.

The menus in the main dining rooms are somewhat different. The same
entrees are served but in a slightly different style. Maybe you did not
read them carefully and did not notice.
--
Charles

We found the two different main dining room menus different enough that we
sometimes checked both before deciding which dining room we'd eat in.

Old July 15th, 2006, 01:40 AM posted to rec.travel.cruises
dh

"LeeNY" wrote in message
ups.com...
Warren wrote:
You would never even consider it an option in
Vegas or DisneyWorld, for instance.

Actually, it happens at Disney. Any of the dinner shows (Luau, etc) are
shared tables (unless your party takes up an entire table) as is the
Japanese hibachi restaurant (you'll find this style restaurant in Vegas
as well).

It's not the norm, but it happens.

Any of the dim sum restaurants in Chinatown (NYC) are shared tables -
and usually the language barrier prevents any kind of communication.
There's a landmark restaurant in Boston - "Durgin-Park" - where the
norm is to share tables.

But, comparing a cruise to a land-based vacation, as far as dining
goes, is a tough comparison. I compare cruising more with the old
Catskill resort model (think Dirty Dancing) where there were set dining
times, tables were filled by either your party or other guests, planned
activities, social hosts, etc. Different than going to a Disney/Vegas
hotel and really being entirely independent (even on freestyle cruises,
you do have to be on the ship at a certain time, activities are
schedule - if you wish to partake, etc.).

I thought it was called "open seating" and, yes, that's the style at Durgin
Park.

I lived overseas for a couple of years. Many of the restaurants had open
seating, at least for people that didn't have obvious families along, and
that was one way you made friends.

Old July 15th, 2006, 12:17 PM posted to rec.travel.cruises
RichC

"Charles" wrote in message
d...
In article .com,
Warren wrote:

In the open seating "main" dining rooms, NCL serves the same menu.

What's so difficult about selecting one venue? The food is the same.

The menus in the main dining rooms are somewhat different. The same
entrees are served but in a slightly different style. Maybe you did not
read them carefully and did not notice.

--
Charles

I totally missed that on our last NCL cruise. I never thought to read the
menu's that carefully.

Old July 15th, 2006, 12:23 PM posted to rec.travel.cruises
Charles[_1_]

In article .com,
Warren wrote:

Or maybe the differences were so insignificant to me that it didn't
matter.

Maybe, but for some it did matter and that is why they checked the
menus every day.

--
Charles
Old July 15th, 2006, 04:09 PM posted to rec.travel.cruises
Charles[_1_]

In article , RichC
wrote:

I totally missed that on our last NCL cruise. I never thought to read the
menu's that carefully.

If you looked at the menu of the Aqua (on Dawn) is where you would
notice a difference. The menu there had a contemporary style, lighter,
more modern, while the other two main dining rooms had a traditional
style on the same items.

--
Charles
Old July 15th, 2006, 05:50 PM posted to rec.travel.cruises
clint

Why is it their is rarely mashed potaos served?
"Charles" wrote in message
d...

Old July 16th, 2006, 02:33 PM posted to rec.travel.cruises
Tom K

"Warren" wrote in message
oups.com...

Sue and Kevin Mullen wrote:
Only
problem is that DH and I would have to agree on a dining room and
time, still too much like at home.

In the open seating "main" dining rooms, NCL serves the same menu.

What's so difficult about selecting one venue? The food is the same.

But on our sailing it wasn't just the main dining rooms people were looking
at. It was all the specialty restaurants as well. It was an "on board
activity" figuring out what you wanted to eat that night. Maybe in the
afternoon... by the end of the cruise, after a lot of heavy eating, you'd
feel in the mood for something lighter that evening, so you'd go see what's
on the Japanese restaurant menu.

It actually became a social activity, looking at the menu's, discussing them
with other passengers. I suspect a number of arrangements to meet for
dinner were even made while looking at menu's.

--Tom