Favorite country?

Old April 23rd, 2007, 12:03 AM posted to rec.travel.europe
Alan S[_1_]

Default Favorite country?

On Sun, 22 Apr 2007 08:12:20 -0700, Go Fig
wrote:

In article , The Reid
wrote:

On Sat, 21 Apr 2007 19:01:23 -0400, "Sarah Banick"
wrote:

But how do you know someone is an alcoholic? Do we take their own word for
it? Get a sworn avadavit from a judge? Also, a person can be an alcohol even
if he/she hasn't touched a drop for 20 years....do we expect them to still
make mistakes?

Bush? Yes.

Sorry chap shot :-)

I agree with your premise, but in an open society it is really hard to draw
those lines.

we find it easy here. No doubt a few slip through, the gun clubs would
probably report an alcoholic to protect themselves. You just have to
overcome the American obsession with freedom at any cost. Who needs
the freedom to shoot people?

You can only see one side (of so many things), what about the freedom
to protect yourself......

jay
Sun Apr 22, 2007

Becomes significantly less of a need when there is less of a
threat.

Cheers, Alan, Australia
--
http://loraltravel.blogspot.com/
latest: Athens and The Adriatic
Old April 23rd, 2007, 02:37 AM posted to rec.travel.europe
Go Fig

In article , Alan S
wrote:

On Sun, 22 Apr 2007 08:12:20 -0700, Go Fig
wrote:

wrote:

[...]

What ? So it is open season for the criminals then, which is EXACTLY
why the U.S. hot rate for burglary is much lower than yours.

82-year-old Miss America pulls gun on thieves
Monday Apr 23 09:00 AEST
An 82-year-old former Miss America stopped intruders fleeing her farm
by shooting at their as they tried to escape.
Venus Ramey, who lifted the US beauty queen crown in 1944, took a
handgun blasted several shots at the tyres of the trespassers' car.
The pensioner said she had to balance on her Zimmer frame to aim the
.38-calibre weapon.
She said she confronted one of the men at her farm in Lincoln County,
south-central Kentucky last week after she saw her dog run into a
storage building where thieves had previously made off with old farm
equipment.

Ramey said the man told her he would leave.
She said: "I said, 'Oh, no you won't,' and I shot their tyres so they
couldn't leave.
"I shot one and it wouldn't go down. I thought it would go woosh and
flatten but it didn't. They're not made that way, so I shot it again.
"I didn't even think twice. I just went and did it.
"If they'd even dared come close to me, they'd be six feet under by
now."
"I'm an old woman. They figure they can get away with a lot. I'm trying
to live a quiet, peaceful life and stay out of trouble, and all it is,
is one thing after another."
Ramey then flagged down a passing motorist, who called the police.
Police said Curtis Parrish was arrested on trespassing charges.
They say he and the other men were trying to steal scrap metal from the
farm in Waynesburg.
Since winning the crown, Ramey spends her time selling trees and trying
to protect her property from thieves. Before moving back to her native
Kentucky in 1990, she sold war bonds and her picture was adorned on a
B-17 that made missions over Germany in World War II, according to the
Miss America Web site.
She told a local TV station: "The first time I was robbed on the other
side road about six or seven years ago. I caught one man."
Police say Mrs Ramey had every right to fire the gun since they say she
witnessed the men committing a crime on her property.

Old April 23rd, 2007, 07:43 AM posted to rec.travel.europe
Tim C.

So it's probably illegal to carry a concealed weapon, and you're not
allowed to carry one openly. I'll have to think about that.

I cant see how you get it home from the shop.
--

Just buy one online. They deliver. Example at
http://www.thegunsource.com/store/Item.aspx?PID=35838

I hadn't thought of that.
--
Tim C.
Old April 23rd, 2007, 09:05 AM posted to rec.travel.europe
The Reid

On Sun, 22 Apr 2007 17:55:21 +0200, Deeply Filled Mortician
wrote:

Legislation doesn't stop people acquiring guns.

That's true but I believe the USA has the highest rate of gun
violence in the known universe.

I don't think it is true

In the developed world is what he meant. I think South Africa would
give it a run for its money.

I meant it wasn't true legislation stops people acquiring guns.
--
Mike Reid
UK walking, food, photos "http://www.fellwalk.co.uk" -- you can email us@ this site
Old April 23rd, 2007, 09:07 AM posted to rec.travel.europe
The Reid

On Sun, 22 Apr 2007 08:12:20 -0700, Go Fig wrote:

we find it easy here. No doubt a few slip through, the gun clubs would
probably report an alcoholic to protect themselves. You just have to
overcome the American obsession with freedom at any cost. Who needs
the freedom to shoot people?

You can only see one side (of so many things),

thats a laugh coming from you. As for protecting myself I dont need to
do that here, ask yourself why you "need" a gun to do it where you are
(not that it works).
Old April 23rd, 2007, 09:09 AM posted to rec.travel.europe
The Reid

On Sun, 22 Apr 2007 15:20:27 -0700, Hatunen wrote:

Even then, the specifics of what you can actually do about it get
a bit sticky

not here they don't.

Were we tlaking about there?

as a comparison.
Old April 23rd, 2007, 09:20 AM posted to rec.travel.europe
The Reid

On Mon, 23 Apr 2007 09:05:47 +0100, The Reid
wrote:

I meant it wasn't true legislation *didint* stop people acquiring
guns.
Old April 23rd, 2007, 10:58 AM posted to rec.travel.europe
Deeply Filled Mortician

Make credence recognised that on Sun, 22 Apr 2007 23:01:59 GMT, Alan S
has scripted:

On Sun, 22 Apr 2007 17:55:21 +0200, Deeply Filled Mortician
wrote:

Make credence recognised that on Sun, 22 Apr 2007 15:08:56 +0100, The
Reid has scripted:

On Sun, 22 Apr 2007 03:57:23 -0700, Icono Clast
wrote:

Legislation doesn't stop people acquiring guns.

That's true but I believe the USA has the highest rate of gun
violence in the known universe.

I don't think it is true

In the developed world is what he meant. I think South Africa would
give it a run for its money.
--
---
DFM - http://www.deepfriedmars.com

Or even the rest of Africa and much of the Middle East.

Then I wouldn't consider those parts 'developed'.
--
---
Old April 24th, 2007, 08:54 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
William Black

"Martin" wrote in message
On Sun, 22 Apr 2007 08:50:18 GMT, "William Black"

wrote:

"Martin" wrote in message
news
How many owners and users of automatic weapons have a gun licence in UK?

If you mean 'automatic weapons' to mean machine guns then there are
several
hundred 'Section 6' license holders, mainly weapons dealers in weapons to
foreign governments.

If you mean autoloading weapons, there are tens of thousands of them.

I mean automatic weapons.

I think what you actually mean are auto loading pistols.

Several hundred people and institutions hold these for a variety of
reasons.

Your local MFH will have a pistol, so will the vet that attends your
local
racecourse.

It's not even that hard to get legal training in the use of such weapons,
just sign up for a bodyguarding course at an institution that teaches
armed
guards, they're not uncommon in the UK...

Of course it's expensive...

I mean the sort, who use them to kill civilians. The sort who can buy an
automatic weapon for GBP50 and don't give a toss about licences.

1. The police are 'civilians'.

2. Where can you buy an automatic weapon for £50? The cheapest of them
cost double that to make.

3. Don't try and pretend that you can pick up a machine gun on any street
corner in Moss Side, you can't. Incredible as it sounds it is in no-one's
interests, including the drug dealers, to have machine guns freely
available in the UK.

--
William Black

Time for tea.

Old April 28th, 2007, 11:12 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
Anonymouse

The Reid wrote:
On Thu, 12 Apr 2007 23:19:07 -0400, Viking
wrote:

Did get shot by hunters, this being the gun-happy USA. Small public
lake, they were shooting at ducks flying over, I was on the other
side. No big problem because I was wearing a jacket, but the pellets
left dents in it.

as would acorns falling out of a tree.

Lucky the damn stuff spent most of its momentum before it hit me.

luck had nothing to do with it... just the laws of physics.

the local public (county owned) skeet range FACES A ROAD a few hundred
yards away... but shotguns firing skeet loads (very small shot) won't
reach the road.

--
To live outside the law, you must be honest.
(Bob Dylan - Absolutely Sweet Marie - Blonde on Blonde - 1966)