Dollar at 26-year low vs. pound

Old July 5th, 2007, 10:34 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
JohnT[_3_]

Default Dollar at 26-year low vs. pound

Viking wrote:

http://money.cnn.com/2007/07/04/mark...ion=2007070411

More than $2 to the pound.

But still $1.359 to the euro, as it has been for several weeks, now.
Perhaps what you're saying is that the GBP stronger than it has been?

According to www.oanda.com, the current rate is $1.36153 to the Euro. It
varies almost by the minute, of course.
--

JohnT

Old July 6th, 2007, 12:06 AM posted to rec.travel.europe
EvelynVogtGamble(Divamanque)

Martin wrote:
On Thu, 05 Jul 2007 11:35:33 -0700, "EvelynVogtGamble(Divamanque)"
wrote:

Martin wrote:

On Thu, 05 Jul 2007 09:51:57 -0700, Iceman wrote:

On Jul 5, 12:43 pm, "EvelynVogtGamble(Divamanque)"
wrote:

Viking wrote:

http://money.cnn.com/2007/07/04/mark...x.reut/index.h...

More than $2 to the pound.

But still $1.359 to the euro, as it has been for several
weeks, now. Perhaps what you're saying is that the GBP
stronger than it has been?

Over the last few years, the dollar has really slid against both the
pound and the euro.

Now you have used facts to ruin Evelyn's evening.

Well, it's true I haven't been to England lately, so the GBP
exchange rate vis a vis the USD was not high on my list of
priority interests. However, last time I checked, the pound
was about $1.55 - $2.00 now, with the euro remaining the
same as it was then would logically suggest the pound has
risen in value.

The error in your logic is that euro hasn't remained as it was but is increasing
in value against the dollar.

But the euro is still at the $1.359 USD it was several weeks
ago, when last I checked. (If the GBP was already at $2.00
then, why did it take someone until 4 July to mention it?)
Old July 6th, 2007, 12:08 AM posted to rec.travel.europe
EvelynVogtGamble(Divamanque)

Iceman wrote:

wrote:

Viking wrote:

http://money.cnn.com/2007/07/04/mark...x.reut/index.h...

More than $2 to the pound.

But still $1.359 to the euro, as it has been for several
weeks, now. Perhaps what you're saying is that the GBP
stronger than it has been?

Over the last few years, the dollar has really slid against both the
pound and the euro.

Now you have used facts to ruin Evelyn's evening.

Well, it's true I haven't been to England lately, so the GBP
exchange rate vis a vis the USD was not high on my list of
priority interests. However, last time I checked, the pound
was about $1.55 - $2.00 now, with the euro remaining the
same as it was then would logically suggest the pound has
risen in value. (I know, I know - "logic" and "economics"
have little to do with one another.)

I don't know when the last time you checked was, because the Euro to
GBP exchange rate has remained almost constant for the last five years.

But we were discussing the value of the U.S. dollar as
compared to both the pound and the euro!
Old July 6th, 2007, 01:17 AM posted to rec.travel.europe
Alan S[_1_]

On Thu, 05 Jul 2007 18:51:18 +0200, Martin
wrote:

On Thu, 05 Jul 2007 09:43:29 -0700, "EvelynVogtGamble(Divamanque)"
wrote:

Viking wrote:

http://money.cnn.com/2007/07/04/mark...ion=2007070411

More than $2 to the pound.

But still $1.359 to the euro, as it has been for several
weeks, now. Perhaps what you're saying is that the GBP
stronger than it has been?

Perhaps you are wrong?
http://www.ecb.int/stats/exchange/eu...ph-usd.en.html

This is the one I like - but our exporters don't:
http://www.ecb.int/stats/exchange/eu...ph-aud.en.html
See the change if you click on 5yrs.

More importantly for me, these are the differences between
planning for a night's accommodation in a hotel in Paris,
London and New York between my first trip in 2003 and
today's rates:

2003 2007
Paris, flat ¤90 AU$160 AU$142
London flat £65 AU$168 AU$152
New York Hotel US$130 AU$211 AU$151

I realise I may not get those prices for accomodation now -
but that change is also reflected in other costs.

The change in the US$ has been quite dramatic for us in that
period, almost a 40% increase since March 2003, but there
have also been significant increases against the ¤ and £.

Cheers, Alan, Australia
--
http://loraltraveloz.blogspot.com/
latest: Kuranda Skyrail near Cairns
Old July 6th, 2007, 08:42 AM posted to rec.travel.europe
Anonymouse

The error in your logic is that euro hasn't remained as it was but is increasing
in value against the dollar.

currencies will go up and down.

I've watched the usd vs the ff for decades and it's varied from just
below 4 to around 9 most of the time floating around 5...

--

- Call me ruthless, amoral, but never call me dishonest. -
Old July 6th, 2007, 08:44 AM posted to rec.travel.europe
The Reid[_4_]

Following up to Viking wrote:

No. I was just registering my disgust at the weak, always weak,
dollar.

if you import cheap stuff from the east and export capital, run a
deficit etc what else can happen. Why not see it as the normal level
(not "weak") for 21C globalised conditions.
--
Mike Reid
Cutty Sark appeal"http://www.cuttysark.org.uk"
Old July 6th, 2007, 08:09 PM posted to rec.travel.europe

wrote:

Viking wrote:

[...]

Perhaps Oz has a more stable economy than Europe, the UK or
the US?
Old July 6th, 2007, 08:16 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
EvelynVogtGamble(Divamanque)

Martin wrote:

wrote:

Viking wrote:

[...]

Economics isn't your specialty or what?

Actually, I'm an opera singer (or was - almost). However, I
am a fairly expert accountant, so am fully aware that (other
things being equal) what would have cost me $1.55 in England
when I was last there would now cost me $2.00, and what cost
me $0.85 in Brussels in 1999 and $1.25 in 2003 would now
cost me $1.36. (What else do I NEED to know about "economics"?)
Old July 6th, 2007, 09:11 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
JohnT[_3_]

wrote:

Viking wrote:

[...]

Regardless of what you may claim, the Dollar/Euro nexus has not remained
stable over the past few years. If you go to www.oanda.com you can get the
rates for the past 2000 days. For example (dates in American notation) the
Interbank rate of the value of 1 Euro against the US Dollar was

06/30/2002 0.992
06/30/2003 1.144
06/30/2004 1.208
06/30/2005 1.206
06/30/2006 1.255
06/30/2007 1.347
07/06/2007 1.361

Perhaps you should have become an Opera Singer! Here in the UK an Accountant
would normally be qualified to offer professional advice on Investments
related to Currency movements but perhaps basic numeracy suffices in Dollar
Land.

--
JohnT

Old July 6th, 2007, 09:28 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
Iceman

wrote:

Viking wrote:

http://money.cnn.com/2007/07/04/mark...x.reut/index.h....

More than $2 to the pound.

But still $1.359 to the euro, as it has been for several
weeks, now. Perhaps what you're saying is that the GBP
stronger than it has been?

Perhaps you are wrong?
http://www.ecb.int/stats/exchange/eu...xref-graph-usd....

This is the one I like - but our exporters don't:
http://www.ecb.int/stats/exchange/eu...xref-graph-aud....
See the change if you click on 5yrs.

More importantly for me, these are the differences between
planning for a night's accommodation in a hotel in Paris,
London and New York between my first trip in 2003 and
today's rates:

2003 2007
Paris, flat ¤90 AU$160 AU$142
London flat £65 AU$168 AU$152
New York Hotel US$130 AU$211 AU$151

I realise I may not get those prices for accomodation now -
but that change is also reflected in other costs.

The change in the US$ has been quite dramatic for us in that
period, almost a 40% increase since March 2003, but there
have also been significant increases against the ¤ and £.

Perhaps Oz has a more stable economy than Europe, the UK or
the US?

I think it's because the Australian economy is more resource based
than Europe, the UK or the US, and resource prices have been high.