Belize excursions

Old July 26th, 2004, 03:12 PM
Jeff Gersten

Default Belize excursions

We will be in Belize one day on a Royal Caribbean cruise. We have
narrowed our choice of excursions down to the following two. Any
opinions of these two possible excursions is welcome. (We will also be
in Cozumel, where we intend to go on an excursion to the Mayan ruins at
Tulum.)

1..Wildlife Adventure Tour

Approximate Duration: 6 Hours Adult: 81.00 (USD)??|??Child: 75.00 (USD)
Take a motor-launch ride up the Old Belize River for 20 miles. On the
way look for crocodiles, iguanas, and monkeys and take in the
beautifully lush tropical foliage on this varied waterway. You will make
a stop at the Old Belize River Tavern for a Belize-style lunch before
boarding a bus for the 35-minute bus ride to the Belize sanctuary. Here
you will see all the species endemic to the region, including five types
of wildcat (jaguars, pumas, ocelots, jaguarundi, and margays) as well as
the national animal of Belize, the Tapir. This is a great day for those
looking for wildlife.

2..Lamanai & The New River Safari

Approximate Duration: 7 Hours 40 Minutes Adult: 87.00 (USD)??|??Child:
77.00 (USD) Your adventure begins after a one-hour drive from Belize
City to Tower Hill, where you will board a riverboat for a 90-minute
cruise of the New River, with its spectacular rainforest, mangroves,
orchids and birds. Disembarking at the northern end of the New River
Lagoon, you'll enjoy a Belize style lunch. Then begin your 90-minute
tour of Lamanai, once the largest Mayan ceremonial site in Meso-America
and occupied as early as 1500 B.C. The first stone buildings appeared
here between 800 and 600 B.C. Huge masks depicting dead rulers and gods
seem to materialize out of the rainforest amid the chatter of birds and
the haunting calls of howler monkeys. Your guide will point out the
copal and ramon (breadnut) trees, of great importance in ancient times

Old July 28th, 2004, 11:17 PM
Helen

We did the cave tubing in Belize thru Xstream and booked it on our own.
Have you thought about doing cave tubing?

Old July 30th, 2004, 01:44 AM
islandgirl

We did the zoo, the hike and the tubing and I LOVED it, and I'm pretty much
a "lie on the beach and read a trashy novel" kind of girl. The hike was not
strenuous at all, and VERY interesting! Our guide pointed out all of the
different foliage, the fire ants to avoid, the bats in the cave, the
markers... I highly recommend this trip to everyone! I had a ball!

islandgirl

(Helen) wrote:

We did the cave tubing in Belize thru Xstream
and booked it on our own. Have you thought
about doing cave tubing?

We originally were considering 3 choices. and one was cave tubing. But
then we decided to narrow our choices down to those 2.

We thought it might be too physically strenuous especially the 45 minute
walk which would feel even hotter after riding in an air conditioned
bus.