Accommodation options

Old October 14th, 2005, 04:52 PM

Default Accommodation options

We are planning an 8 week trip to Australia/New Zealand for Jan/Mar
2006 and would like information on Motel chains in Australia that would
offer reasonable accommodation for travel between Melbourne and Cairns.
Looking for 3 star equivalent rated motels. At present have a
directory for Budget Motel chain but it is old (2003). Are there other
chains that publish their directory?

TIA

Jiggs

Old October 14th, 2005, 05:22 PM
Petra

" wrote in
ups.com:

We are planning an 8 week trip to Australia/New Zealand for Jan/Mar
2006 and would like information on Motel chains in Australia that
would offer reasonable accommodation for travel between Melbourne and
Cairns.
Looking for 3 star equivalent rated motels. At present have a
directory for Budget Motel chain but it is old (2003). Are there
other chains that publish their directory?

TIA

Jiggs

Budget is the best we found, and they're on the web if you want
up-to-date info. We used them exclusively in Victoria and WA and plan to
do the same when we visit Queensland. Unfortunately they aren't as well
represented in the far north.

If there is a better medium priced motel chain, I'd like to hear about
it too :-)

Petra
Old October 14th, 2005, 10:52 PM
David Bennetts

wrote in message
ups.com...
We are planning an 8 week trip to Australia/New Zealand for Jan/Mar
2006 and would like information on Motel chains in Australia that would
offer reasonable accommodation for travel between Melbourne and Cairns.
Looking for 3 star equivalent rated motels. At present have a
directory for Budget Motel chain but it is old (2003). Are there other
chains that publish their directory?

TIA

Jiggs

www.bestwestern.com
www.choicehotels.com
www.ibishotels.com
are some that cover 3 star hotels.

If you're booking up to four weeks ahead, try www.wotif.com.au - you can get
some very good deals, although these will naturally be more limited in the
busier seasons. January will be very busy, as it is school holidays in
Australia/NZ. February will also be quite busy, March a little less so.

Regards

David Bennetts
Australia

Old October 15th, 2005, 02:06 AM
Alan S

On Sat, 15 Oct 2005 07:52:50 +1000, "David Bennetts"
wrote:

wrote in message
oups.com...
[...]

Hi Jiggs

In addition to David's links, as soon as you arrive in
Australia, go to the local motoring club outlet (RACV in
Melbourne, NRMA in Sydney) and purchase their nationwide
accommodation directory.
You can buy from the RACV web-site he
http://journeys.racv.com.au/racvrt/b...74D483D#Accomm
or the NRMA (it's the same accommodation guide) he
http://www.mynrma.com.au/mapsguides.aspx
If ordering, mention your local motorists' club membership,
if you have one, there may be reciprocal rights.

There is also the Golden Chain group
http://www.goldenchain.com.au/
and other wotif-style web-pages, although sometimes they are
limited in country areas:

Needitnow:
http://www.needitnow.com.au/needitnow/needitnow.asp
Lastminute:
http://www.au.lastminute.com/
HotelClub:
http://www.hotelclub.com.au/

Cheers, Alan, Australia
Old October 15th, 2005, 03:23 AM
Christopher Mason

Hi,

I nave used the following we site for my last 3 trips to Australia and New
Zealand.

www.travelmall.com.au

They are able to book hotels just about everywhere and they give you a 10%
discount on rooms. Generally, I stayed at 3-4 star hotels. The prices and
quality are definitely cheaper there.

Chris
ups.com...

Old October 16th, 2005, 09:43 AM

On 14 Oct 2005 08:52:56 -0700, "
wrote:

We are planning an 8 week trip to Australia/New Zealand for Jan/Mar
2006 and would like information on Motel chains in Australia that would
offer reasonable accommodation for travel between Melbourne and Cairns.
Looking for 3 star equivalent rated motels. At present have a
directory for Budget Motel chain but it is old (2003). Are there other
chains that publish their directory?

TIA

Jiggs

Not to be discounted of course, have you thought about some of the
caravan park chains.

We have used Big4 caravan parks for quite a number of years now and
have always found them to be reasonable.

Most have chalet style units that can be fully self contained and are
quite comfortable without going over the top on price.

They are also on the web, so you could have a look and see if they are
in the places that you wish to go to.

www.big4.com.au

HTH

Tony
Old October 16th, 2005, 10:01 AM
Scotty

not really wrote in message
On 14 Oct 2005 08:52:56 -0700, "
wrote:

[...]

have used Brisbane Holiday Village before, was great and very reasonably
priced.

Of course that was in Brisbane Qld.

Would highly recommend the place.

Old October 16th, 2005, 08:23 PM

Thanks for all the info and links. Looking forward to our trip.

Jiggs