Mediterranean Ferries

Old April 8th, 2009, 06:39 AM posted to rec.travel.europe
Tim C.[_5_]

Default Mediterranean Ferries

On Tue, 7 Apr 2009 18:43:52 +0200, Terry Richards wrote in post :
:

"Tim C." wrote in message

Depending on where you're going from, an overnight ferry or a drive from
Holland to Hamburg or Düsseldorf and get the train to Verona (or get off
the train at Bozen and hit the Dolomites for a day).

--
Tim C.

Tim,

We are starting from Brittany on account of that's where we live.

That's as good a reason as any :-)
In that case Hamburg is not really practical. There used to be a car-train
from Paris, to St.Gervais-le-Bains and, I think, further but I'm not sure
if it hasn't been discontinued.
You can get across France pretty fast on a bike, and imo the worst part
will be southern/central Italy: pretty straight roads. So you can either
just bite the bullet and hit the Autostrada or try and find a longer but
more interesting route. Personally I'd do a bit of both, m'way for the flat
urban areas, and the odd detour through hilly bits.

--
Tim C.
Old April 8th, 2009, 06:42 AM posted to rec.travel.europe
Tim C.[_5_]

On Tue, 7 Apr 2009 19:18:00 +0200, Giovanni Drogo wrote in post :
news:alpine.LSU.1.00.0904071910450.20699@cbfrvqba .ynzoengr.vans.vg :

I am not a moto-biker at all, but I thought moto-bikers like to travel
on secondary scenic roads and alike, out of the tourist pipeline, if you
can.

That's generally the idea, yes. But not if it takes 3 days just to get
somewhere and leaves no time to look around.

--
Tim C.
Old April 8th, 2009, 08:59 AM posted to rec.travel.europe
Tim C.[_5_]

On Wed, 08 Apr 2009 08:09:34 +0100, Pentaxuser wrote in post :
:

"Tim C." wrote:

I am not a moto-biker at all, but I thought moto-bikers like to travel
on secondary scenic roads and alike, out of the tourist pipeline, if you
can.

That's generally the idea, yes. But not if it takes 3 days just to get
somewhere and leaves no time to look around.

for drivers that's where fly-drive comes in, but I assume that's
either not available for bikes or you wouldn't want a hire bike
anyway?

You either have to crate up your own bike (expensive and lots of hassle),
or hire a bike: unknown handling, and very expensive. Plus you still have
to cart your leathers/helmet etc around with you. Only worth it for trips
to another continent really.

--
Tim C.