Ready to Go!!!

Old February 2nd, 2007, 07:06 PM posted to rec.travel.cruises
Jean O'Boyle

Default Ready to Go!!!

Yippee! Final payments were made today for our little group of ten who are
taking the Constellation Transatlantic on April 13th. Now to figure what
to pack as we are spending four nights in London, post cruise!
What is the end of April like in London?
--Jean

Old February 2nd, 2007, 07:30 PM posted to rec.travel.cruises
Ermalee[_2_]

Jean O'Boyle wrote:
Yippee! Final payments were made today for our little group of ten who are
taking the Constellation Transatlantic on April 13th. Now to figure what
to pack as we are spending four nights in London, post cruise!
What is the end of April like in London?
--Jean

I will be taking a light weight rain coat with hood, and a small folding
umbrella that fits in the pocket.

Ermalee ---too early to start packing
Old February 2nd, 2007, 07:40 PM posted to rec.travel.cruises
SJF

"Jean O'Boyle" wrote

What is the end of April like in London?

Weather-wise, who can tell? Could be warm and sunny, could be freezing rain.
(I remember it snowing on 1st May one year, though that was exceptional.)
Check the longer range weather forecasts nearer the time and be prepared to
bring a lightweight raincoat, I would say.
--
SJF

Old February 2nd, 2007, 09:47 PM posted to rec.travel.cruises
Jean O'Boyle

"Ermalee" wrote in message
. ..
I will be taking a light weight rain coat with hood, and a small folding
umbrella that fits in the pocket.

Ermalee ---too early to start packing

I am thinking that I will do the same, Erm, and pack as I would for
Alaska....layer a lot to adjust to the weather..As SJF said, the weather
will probably be very changeable from day to day. The Constellation does not
have a self service laundry, so it will require some careful planning.

--Jean---not too early for thinking about packing! ;-)

Old February 2nd, 2007, 10:09 PM posted to rec.travel.cruises
Cal Ford

No doubt you are going to have a great Cruise but as mentioned elsewhere packing
seems to be the uncertainty these days.

We leave on our Trans Atlantic a few weeks before you but we have several
advantages. Oceania has a very relaxed dress code so we do not have to load up
on fancy wear and we will be going to Southern France where the weather looks to
be very good. No coats or heavy sweaters etc.

Now that even International flights are going to a 50 lb maximum it is important
to pick, choose, and pack carefully. in addition we will be touring around in a
rented van and baggage space will be at a premium. No only do we have to be
careful about what we take but we have to allow room for all the stuff
you-know-who will buy to bring home. Some people can pack everything into a
carryon suitcase but we are not like them.

Maybe we should take another look at disposable clothes.

Cal Ford
Lido DEck Cruises

In article , Jean O'Boyle
says...

Old February 2nd, 2007, 10:18 PM posted to rec.travel.cruises
Ermalee[_2_]

Cal Ford wrote:
No doubt you are going to have a great Cruise but as mentioned elsewhere packing
seems to be the uncertainty these days.

We leave on our Trans Atlantic a few weeks before you but we have several
advantages. Oceania has a very relaxed dress code so we do not have to load up
on fancy wear and we will be going to Southern France where the weather looks to
be very good. No coats or heavy sweaters etc.

Now that even International flights are going to a 50 lb maximum

Wooops. Can't we take two 50 pound bags plus a carryon?

Old February 2nd, 2007, 10:48 PM posted to rec.travel.cruises
Cal Ford

Correct Ermalee, that is two max 50lb and one carryon per passenger.

The problem is that there would be 3 articles of baggage per person if you maxed
out, plus assorted purses, coats, shopping bags, etc. That is a real hassle in a
busy airport. It was much better when we just had to worry about one checkable
item instead of two.

In addition, we have these very sturdy suitcases that have been all over the
World with us, Big Green and Big Blue as they are affectionatly known. But they
weigh 12 pounds each which is a big chunk of that 50 limit. It is time for them
to go into semi retirement, great for Mexico Cruises from San Francisco but not
much else.

What we are looking for are some very lightweight models that are still somewhat
sturdy. Have not found anything yet that suits my fancy.

Cal Ford
Lido Deck Cruises

In article , Ermalee says...

Old February 2nd, 2007, 10:58 PM posted to rec.travel.cruises
Jean O'Boyle

"Cal Ford" wrote in message
Correct Ermalee, that is two max 50lb and one carryon per passenger.

snipped
What we are looking for are some very lightweight models that are still
somewhat
sturdy. Have not found anything yet that suits my fancy.

When you find some let me know, Cal...as we are in the market for some new
ones...sorta like the ones with the 360 degree wheels to make them easier to
pull!
When we bought our red ones, we thought they would be easy to spot on the
carousel, but just found out that many others had the same idea and there
are many red ones out there now! So we have to get an original color!

--Jean

Cal Ford
Lido Deck Cruises

Old February 2nd, 2007, 11:52 PM posted to rec.travel.cruises
Ray Goldenberg Ray Goldenberg is offline
Banned

On Fri, 02 Feb 2007 17:18:43 -0500, Ermalee
wrote:

Wooops. Can't we take two 50 pound bags plus a carryon?

Hi Ermalee,

Keep in mind that London flight restrictions are different from most
other areas. You are allowed ONE carry-on. This is NOT one purse
plus one carry-on or 1 Laptop and one carry-on such as allowed in the
US or the rest of Europe. They literally mean 1-carry-on and it is
strictly enforced. I had to put my laptop case inside my luggage
carry-on and pass my laptop through the machine in the provided
plastic carrier. Don't get caught unaware of this strict
interpretation. BTW, this is enforced whether you are originating or
transferring flights at London airports.

Best regards,
Ray
LIGHTHOUSE TRAVEL
800-719-9917 or 805-566-3905
http://www.lighthousetravel.com
Old February 2nd, 2007, 11:59 PM posted to rec.travel.cruises
Ermalee[_2_]

wrote:

[...]

Thank you Ray. I guess I'll have to read the British Airline
restrictions. We will be traveling Brit Air from Heathrow to
Philadelphia in April.

Ermalee