How to utilize ITA Software's flight search results?

Old April 27th, 2007, 09:04 PM posted to rec.travel.air
Newbie

Default How to utilize ITA Software's flight search results?

I am a little confused about how to utilize ITA Software's flight
search results.

With Orbitz, Kayak, etc., you can buy the ticket, or you are taken to a
site where you can buy it.

However, with ITAsoftware you get "booking details" after which it is
unclear what to do.

Are you supposed to go to a brick and mortar travel agent, who can get
that ticket at that price?

Anyway, if somebody has used ITAsoftware to somehow actually book
tickets, I'd appreciate a pointer.
Old April 27th, 2007, 09:07 PM posted to rec.travel.air
Mike Hunt

Newbie wrote:

I am a little confused about how to utilize ITA Software's flight
search results.

With Orbitz, Kayak, etc., you can buy the ticket, or you are taken to a
site where you can buy it.

However, with ITAsoftware you get "booking details" after which it is
unclear what to do.

Are you supposed to go to a brick and mortar travel agent, who can get
that ticket at that price?

Anyway, if somebody has used ITAsoftware to somehow actually book
tickets, I'd appreciate a pointer.

You could use a B&M TA, or use an online method for booking.
Old April 27th, 2007, 09:15 PM posted to rec.travel.air
Newbie

Mike Hunt postmaster@localhost wrote:

: You could use a B&M TA, or use an online method for booking.

I think I just don't know the practical ropes here. At online sites,
they have their own search engines. For example, at aa.com, if their
engine doesn't come up with the same itinerary/price, how can I use
ITAsoftware's results to book a ticket?

I just have a practical question. I search at ITAsoft and like one of
the itineraries/price they come up with. However, they don't sell the
ticket nor give me any link. Now what do I do to buy that itinerary,
online if possible?
Old April 27th, 2007, 09:38 PM posted to rec.travel.air
rieker

I just have a practical question. I search at ITAsoft and like one of
the itineraries/price they come up with.

I just did this. You are correct, ITA doesnt sell tickets...they allow you
to use their engine for free...they are actually in the business of selling
their software to the airlines.

I like a piece of paper in my hand, so I printed my ita-generated itinerary
(that was not offered on delta.com). Then I called Delta and had the agent
book the itinerary that I had in my hand. It worked...no problem.

In my case, I told the agent that the itinerary wasn't offered online, what
the price was, I may have even given him some of the flight/code numbers
from the ITA data....and that's what I paid.

So call AA and see what happens...we want a full report!

However, they don't sell the
ticket nor give me any link. Now what do I do to buy that itinerary,
online if possible?

It is possible that there may be a small extra fee for booking with a live
person.

Old April 27th, 2007, 10:09 PM posted to rec.travel.air
Newbie

rieker wrote:

: So call AA and see what happens...we want a full report!

Thanks. I'll post a report when I am done.

I am trying to combine a few odd places, like Delhi, Rome and London.

Naturally, any airline gives preference to its own flights and then to
its "alliance" partners. One strength of ITA is that having no
commercial angle, they are likely to reveal truly unusual
possibilities. In principle orbitz should do the same, but ITA's
interface is better.

Besides Delta, have you also tried buying ITA generated itineraries
from general travel agents like orbitz?
Old April 27th, 2007, 10:11 PM posted to rec.travel.air
Mike Hunt

rieker wrote:

In my case, I told the agent that the itinerary wasn't offered online, what
the price was, I may have even given him some of the flight/code numbers
from the ITA data....and that's what I paid.

What do you mean by "it wasn't offered online"?
Were there connections?
Did you try the option for a multi-city itinerary, or whatever the Delta
site might call it. I know, on AA, you can use multi-city to get the
connecting cities you need.
Old April 27th, 2007, 10:32 PM posted to rec.travel.air
rieker

What do you mean by "it wasn't offered online"?

Delta.com did not show it as a selection to use for the trip that I am
taking. ITA did. When I called Delta, it was, indeed, available.

That is why ITA is a very useful and powerful tool. It digs deeper than
many search/booking engines than are generally available.

Old April 27th, 2007, 10:42 PM posted to rec.travel.air
rieker

Besides Delta, have you also tried buying ITA generated itineraries
from general travel agents like orbitz?

No. I have used ITA for some time, mainly for pricing. This was the first
time that I actually booked from one of their itineraries. What has
usually happened...I go to ITA, check on pricing, routing, airline, etc and
then go either to the airline website or orbitz, travelocity, etc to
actually book my flight. This was the first time that there was a
"conflict" in that the routing that showed on ITA did not also show on
Delta.com.

I should add that, because I was using "bump" coupons, I had to use
Delta.com as you cannot use them thru a TA (or so I understand).

Old April 27th, 2007, 10:54 PM posted to rec.travel.air
Newbie

:
: Delta.com did not show it as a selection to use for the trip that I am
: taking. ITA did. When I called Delta, it was, indeed, available.

I have had this happen many times with aa.com. Of course I cannot know
the inside story but I attributed it to the possibility that their
computers are programed to promote first AA and then their partner
flights.

To be fair, the best possibilities shown by ITA were often also
available at aa.com .

However, I *have* run into situations where aa.com was suggesting
something idiotic like going from one Asian city to another nearby one
via London or Helsinki (because BA, Finnair are their partners; this
was before JAL a joined and I also assume there was some problem with
Cathay on those days). However, ITA had no problem recognizing that Air
India, Thai, or China Airways etc will provide a more convenient
connection.

I have also had aa.com suggest that I fly London - Delhi via Chicago,
32 hours on AA, thus backstabbing their partner BA who has a 9 hour
nonstop.
Old April 27th, 2007, 10:55 PM posted to rec.travel.air
Newbie

Just wanted to say I have posted a question about multicity search. I
thought it would be best as a separate thread. I would appreciate if
you'd post there. Thanks.