Diseases transmitted by ticks

Old June 18th, 2005, 06:41 PM
Hans-Georg Michna

Default Diseases transmitted by ticks

Does anybody know which diseases are transmitted by African
ticks?

Hans-Georg

--
No mail, please.
Old June 18th, 2005, 08:21 PM
Whitedog

On Sat, 18 Jun 2005 19:41:57 +0200, Hans-Georg Michna
wrote:

Does anybody know which diseases are transmitted by African
ticks?

Hans-Georg

I have references for 2.
African tick bite fever (very common in sub equatorial Africa)
Congo fever (http://web.uct.ac.za/depts/mmi/stannard/bob.html)

--
.--~~,__
:-....,-------`~~'._.'

Old June 18th, 2005, 10:15 PM
Pat Anderson

In message , Hans-Georg
Michna writes
Does anybody know which diseases are transmitted by African
ticks?

Hans-Georg

Hans Georg,
There was a child with us at Kamburu who was bitten by a tick, and
contracted tick bite fever. She had to go into Gertrude`s Garden
children`s hospital, Nairobi. She was treated with Tetracycline and
recovered OK.
Off topic but I was wondering if you will be making your annual safari
to Kenya this year?
Regards,
Pat
--
Pat Anderson
Old June 19th, 2005, 04:21 PM
Corné

"Hans-Georg Michna" schreef in bericht
Does anybody know which diseases are transmitted by African
ticks?

Hans-Georg

--
No mail, please.

Tick bite fever. Gives you a nice head-ache.... Easy to treat by the way.

Corné.

Do mail, please.

www.amukela.com

Old June 19th, 2005, 06:06 PM
Hans-Georg Michna

wrote:

Does anybody know which diseases are transmitted by African
ticks?

I have references for 2.
African tick bite fever (very common in sub equatorial Africa)
Congo fever (http://web.uct.ac.za/depts/mmi/stannard/bob.html)

Whitedog, Pat, Corné,

thanks for your replies! Always learning. For example, the web
site you cited explains that pepper ticks are actually larvae or
nymphs of the bigger tick species, not separate species. Does
anybody know more about this?

While researching this a bit, I found one very simple defense
against ticks. Just pull your socks over your trousers when
you're near high grass. A strong, poisonous insect repellant
sprayed on the socks and lower trouser legs also helps.

Pat, I was in Kenya already. Please see
www.michna.com/kenya2005/ . I may go again in September.

Hans-Georg

--
No mail, please.
Old June 19th, 2005, 07:04 PM
Whitedog

wrote:

Does anybody know which diseases are transmitted by African
ticks?

I have references for 2.
African tick bite fever (very common in sub equatorial Africa)
Congo fever (http://web.uct.ac.za/depts/mmi/stannard/bob.html)

Whitedog, Pat, Corné,

thanks for your replies! Always learning. For example, the web
site you cited explains that pepper ticks are actually larvae or
nymphs of the bigger tick species, not separate species. Does
anybody know more about this?

I knew I'd seen a better page on tick life cycles somewhere! A bit of
digging with google found the good old WHO page

http://www.who.int/docstore/water_sa...ntrol/ch26.htm

While researching this a bit, I found one very simple defense
against ticks. Just pull your socks over your trousers when
you're near high grass. A strong, poisonous insect repellant
sprayed on the socks and lower trouser legs also helps.

I've seen domestic dogs absolutely covered in immature ticks and it's
really unpleasant for them, sometimes they can provoke an immune
system reaction which will make them very ill. I took anti tick
treatments out to zanzibar for my friend's dogs last trip, I'm sure
they appreciated it! The humans in contact seemed to be ok though.
Viral infections rely on certain host species being carriers and I'm
guessing zanzibar goats and dogs are free of the sort of viruses which
affect humans.
Fascinating subject parasites, I can't get enough of them!

Brent.
--
.--~~,__
:-....,-------`~~'._.'

Old June 19th, 2005, 07:27 PM
Pat Anderson

In message , Hans-Georg
Michna writes

wrote:

[...]

How did I miss you going to Kenya!? Thanks for the link, I will put it
in my favourites, alongside 2003 and 2004. We will miss going again
this year as we are going to NZ to visit our son there in October. I
will send you a private email about an air incident in Kenya.
Good idea to tuck your socks into trousers to avoid tick bites, better
still, wear bush boots!
Pat
--
Pat Anderson
Old June 19th, 2005, 07:31 PM
Pat Anderson

In message , Hans-Georg
Michna writes

wrote:

[...]

I`ve put your 2005 safari into my favourites.
I will send you a private email about an air incident in Kenya.
I wonder how I missed your safari this year?
Ticks: You could protect yourself by wearing bush boots!
Pat
--
Pat Anderson
Old June 20th, 2005, 03:18 PM
Hans-Georg Michna

On Sun, 19 Jun 2005 19:04:11 +0100, Whitedog
wrote:

I knew I'd seen a better page on tick life cycles somewhere! A bit of
digging with google found the good old WHO page

http://www.who.int/docstore/water_sa...ntrol/ch26.htm

Brent,

thank you very much for this link! Very informative!

Hans-Georg

--
No mail, please.
Old June 20th, 2005, 03:18 PM
Hans-Georg Michna

On Sun, 19 Jun 2005 19:27:40 +0100, Pat Anderson
wrote:

How did I miss you going to Kenya!?

Pat,

I usually go in June (low season), often around Pentecost.

Hans-Georg

--
No mail, please.