life in Singapore

Old November 14th, 2004, 07:29 AM
Mimi Forsyth

the people are nice. I asked,,,,is that the only reason you like it?

It's a shopper's paradise.

www.mimiforsyth.com

Old November 14th, 2004, 07:29 AM
Mimi Forsyth

Old November 14th, 2004, 11:21 AM
ash

Yes, it is a very expensive place populated by lots of spoilt young rich
kids, barely legal drinking age, that think nothing of spending S$200 for a
round of drinks.
Very clean but sterile and characterless with no history apart from a couple
of months in 1942.
Out of all the places I've travelled to Singapore is about the only one I
said I have no wish to go back to.

"Neil Raines" wrote in message
Jobs are hard to find, and you will almost always have to work for local
salaries, which are not high. Cars are very expensive, and so is alcohol
of any kind. The taxes are low.

The people are very nice. A couple of months ago I spent 4 days in a
Singapore hospital, and the visitors to the other patients in my ward were
very friendly, and happy to chat.

Guys I got a question. My wife is suggesting that we move to
Singapore. She is from the Philippines and she took a 4 day trip to
Singapore with her mom. She is a city girl and she likes it there. Said
the people are nice. I asked,,,,is that the only reason you like it?
She said yes because how many cities do you know where there are nice
people. She wanted to know how can you move there. We are in Florida.

Can anyone respond to this inquiry? I dont plan to move there at all
but I want some ammuntion to present to her as to why we should not
move there.

John in FL

http://community.webtv.net/FLknight/me

Old November 14th, 2004, 02:05 PM

Hell... everyone(ok almost everyone) is assuming the original poster(John
in FL) wants an expat lifestyle, wants a high paying expat job in Singapore,
wants to drive an expensive fuel guzzling car & goes out partying all night
& drink lots of alcohol... for all we know, he & his Filipino wife could be
in their 60's in which case, i've heard that Singapore is a good place to
retire, low or no crime rate(or they'll whip yer in public or hang yer!),
food is cheap, housing might be a bit of a problem for locals there but if
they're going to retire there, no doubt they'll have to meet the govt's.
entry requirements & have enough capital to get into the country first! As
for standard of living & medical care, i hear it's good(even if you have to
drink recycyled water & get the **** taken out of by Malaysians), and
talking about Malaysia, it has good transport links to neighbouring
countries like Malaysia, Thailand, Indonesia & perhaps the Philippines,
which might be the real hidden agenda here by his wife.

If all the original poster wants is "ammuntion" for why they should not move
to Singapore, then i suggest he asks the same question(s) at
soc.culture.singapore & cross post to soc.culture.malaysia, he'll have fun
starting a flame war there & gain enough details for his argument.

If on the other hand, he is serious in his intentions, perhaps a visit to
http://www.singaporeexpats.com/ would be more helpful.

end of story.

Old November 14th, 2004, 04:08 PM
Alfred Molon

In article , -- says...
Hell... everyone(ok almost everyone) is assuming the original poster(John
in FL) wants an expat lifestyle, wants a high paying expat job in Singapore,
wants to drive an expensive fuel guzzling car & goes out partying all night
& drink lots of alcohol... for all we know, he & his Filipino wife could be
in their 60's

Did you check his site ? He doesn't look like 60.
--

Alfred Molon

http://www.molon.de/Galleries.htm - Photos from Myanmar, Brunei,
Malaysia, Thailand, Laos, Cambodia, Nepal, Egypt, Germany, Austria,
Prague, Budapest and Portugal
Old November 14th, 2004, 04:38 PM
EAC

One thing I find that is better in Singapore than Florida is that you
don't have to suffer hurricane season in Singapore.

Anyway. If your wife is a city girl, then it's no wonder she likes
Singapore. However, it should be noted that just because your wife
likes it, it doesn't necessary mean you should follow your wife.
Remember Adam. The head of a family should decide what is best for his
family, and not bow down to the assistant.

Singapore is quite nice to visit though, kinda like Disneyland.

The minuses I can think of about Singapore is the same minuses that
affected New York, Shanghai, Beijing, Tokyo, Hangzhou, Paris, London,
Bangkok, and so on.

If you want to live close to Singapore to regulary visit it, you might
be better staying either at Malaysia or Indonesia.

As for Florida.

It's quite nice state, I once visited Tampa. Large land, lots of nice
people, and so on. The hurricane season can be quite a hassle though.
Old November 14th, 2004, 05:01 PM
Alfred Molon

In article , EAC says...

Remember Adam. The head of a family should decide what is best for his
family, and not bow down to the assistant.

Tell this to my wife ;-)

Old November 14th, 2004, 06:46 PM

Hi guys
Thanks for all the postings. I can tell you I am definately not in my
60s. I am 35 and my wife is 28. I think my wifes first impression
with Singapore is what she has fallen in love with. Nice people and
lots of shopping but like any kind of relationship you gotta let the
dust settle to see its true story.

After I posted this and thought about it one of the things I thought
about is that Singapore is its own country I guess of a city and so you
are limited to what you can do unless you travel into Malaysia yet I
dont even know what that even offers, except for ocasional muslim
extremists.

I have had several people tell me that it is hard to find jobs there and
also housing is expensive and cars are expensive. My wifes sister
eventually will be going there for work as a nurse.

I work in a manufacturing plant and so my trade, so to speak is
manufacturing/production but also warehouse distribution. I work for a
supermarket company.

You folks have given me a decent outlook on Singapore. I will take it
and run with it.

Thanks alot
John

http://community.webtv.net/FLknight/me