Paris hotels

Old April 28th, 2005, 11:51 PM
elliot

Default Paris hotels

We will stop in Paris for a week in July before going on to Munich and
will be looking for a hotel price range around $80.00 to $100.00US.
located within walking distance of outdoor cafes, easy shopping, maybe a
nice bar to sit in evenings and relax, nothing with disco, or over run
with young energetic people. We speak German fluently but not French so
maybe someplace a bit international in flavor.

Even a suggestion as to the part of Paris to look would be helpful, its
been over 45 years since we were last there.

Aside, I would imagine the dancing girls we last saw in Pigalle are
grandmothers today ...hell, they may even be great grandmothers.

Old April 29th, 2005, 05:12 AM
elliot

The amount of around $100.00 is not set in stone, but I will try hard
to stay close to that, assuming I can get a good convenient location.

Old April 29th, 2005, 05:48 AM
sk

We stayed in the Marais district when we were there in October, and found it
very convenient with lots of shops and cafes. The hotel was a last-minute
fourth choice and was too noisy, but there are many other hotels and rentals
in the neighbourhood.

You may find it difficult to stick to your budget, The Economist magazine
recently ranked Paris the second-most expensive city (after Tokyo).

Old April 29th, 2005, 08:59 AM
Alan S

On Fri, 29 Apr 2005 00:48:19 -0400, "sk"
wrote:

You may find it difficult to stick to your budget, The Economist magazine
recently ranked Paris the second-most expensive city (after Tokyo).

Did they not include their home town? We found London by far
the dearest European city, with Zurich next. Third and
fourth were a long way behind those two - and neither was
Paris.

Maybe it's different at the upper 4*+ levels, but I was like
the OP, looking for economical accommodation, eating at
local cafes and trattoria, walking and using public
transport in the towns and driving in the country.

I found Rome, Athens (hotels were expensive and rates
inflexible) and Monaco all more expensive for my niche in
the market.

Staying in apartments and other budget alternatives helps a
lot.

Cheers, Alan, Australia
Old April 29th, 2005, 09:54 AM
Padraig Breathnach

wrote:

You may find it difficult to stick to your budget, The Economist magazine
recently ranked Paris the second-most expensive city (after Tokyo).

Did they not include their home town? We found London by far
the dearest European city, with Zurich next. Third and
fourth were a long way behind those two - and neither was
Paris.

Maybe it's different at the upper 4*+ levels, but I was like
the OP, looking for economical accommodation, eating at
local cafes and trattoria, walking and using public
transport in the towns and driving in the country.

Good point. Criteria vary, and you need to know the criteria used in
compiling rankings of cities on expense. I think that many lists
reflect the prices that business travellers at the upper end of the
expenses scale might pay.

When Herself and I travel, we generally stay in 2* or 3* hotels, and
like a reasonably central location; we eat proper restaurant meals and
like a bottle of wine, but we don't seek Michelin-star standard every
evening; we don't take much alcohol other than wine with our meals; we
use public transport a lot in cities; we visit a lot of cafés; we
visit some of the tourist things, like museums, significant buildings,
and galleries. So for us, the cost of such things determines how
expensive we consider a city to be.

I found Rome, Athens (hotels were expensive and rates
inflexible) and Monaco all more expensive for my niche in
the market.

We don't find Paris to be particularly expensive for our type of
visit. Rome, London, and Oslo are among the more expensive places that
come readily to mind.

Staying in apartments and other budget alternatives helps a
lot.

Yes. And a bit of web research and help from r.t.e. are also very
helpful.

--
PB
The return address has been MUNGED
Old April 29th, 2005, 01:19 PM
elliot

As to Paris expenses, I wonder what the cost of entering the Louvre for
the day is?

Interesting side note though we were able to use miles for the trip from
NY which does help with our budget.

Old April 29th, 2005, 03:03 PM
Mimi

wrote:

You may find it difficult to stick to your budget, The Economist magazine
recently ranked Paris the second-most expensive city (after Tokyo).

Did they not include their home town? We found London by far
the dearest European city, with Zurich next. Third and
fourth were a long way behind those two - and neither was
Paris.

Maybe it's different at the upper 4*+ levels, but I was like
the OP, looking for economical accommodation, eating at
local cafes and trattoria, walking and using public
transport in the towns and driving in the country.

I found Rome, Athens (hotels were expensive and rates
inflexible) and Monaco all more expensive for my niche in
the market.

Staying in apartments and other budget alternatives helps a
lot.

I don't know. I looked into renting an apartment for our upcoming, weeklong
stay in Paris. What I found didn't seem that cheap. They were quite small.
And almost none of them had a clothes washing machine, let alone a dryer. Of
course, this was just for the two of us. If you have more people--and can
find an apartment roomy enough--there may be economies of scale.

With another couple, we rented a flat in expensive London a couple years ago
and there was definite savings there. Plus it was roomy and well-located.

Marianne