ADVICE: US citizen flying out of Canada to Domincan Republic

Old November 22nd, 2004, 09:29 PM
Kerri

Default ADVICE: US citizen flying out of Canada to Domincan Republic

I won a trip to the Dominican Republic recently and I need to know if
my boyfriend can just use his birth certificate and driver's license
to fly out of Canada and return. He's an American Citizen.

thanks,
Kerri
Old November 22nd, 2004, 09:49 PM
Keith Willshaw

"Kerri" wrote in message
om...
I won a trip to the Dominican Republic recently and I need to know if
my boyfriend can just use his birth certificate and driver's license
to fly out of Canada and return. He's an American Citizen.

thanks,
Kerri

Its adequate for the Dominican republic

All nationalities require a valid passport (except nationals of Canada and
the USA staying up to 90 days only need holding appropriate ID such as a
Birth Certificate and a Driver's Licence )

http://www.webdominicana.com/entry-en.html

Keith

Old November 23rd, 2004, 09:28 PM
Geoff Glave

Thanks Keith, I appreciate the info!

The only thing to keep in mind is it may be easy to enter Canada or
The Dominican - Often people post here that the trouble arises when
someone tries to go home, i.e. attempts to re-enter the USA without a
passport. You don't want to just consider the rules of the foreign
countries - You also want to consider the rules of your own country,
particularly if the alert level changes when you're away.

I think in this day and age anyone who wants to travel should get a
passport.

Cheers,
Geoff Glave
Vancouver, Canada

Old November 26th, 2004, 11:32 PM
Király

Kerri wrote:
I won a trip to the Dominican Republic recently and I need to know if
my boyfriend can just use his birth certificate and driver's license
to fly out of Canada and return. He's an American Citizen.

It took me about 40 seconds to find this on the Canada consular
information sheet on travel.state.gov. Read the last sentence carefully,
emphasis added.

"When entering from the United States, U.S. citizens must show either a
U.S. passport or proof of U.S. citizenship such as a birth certificate,
naturalization certificate, or expired U.S. passport and photo ID. U.S.
citizens entering Canada from a third country *must have a valid passport.*"
Old December 3rd, 2004, 06:18 AM
Miguel Cruz

Geoff Glave wrote:
The only thing to keep in mind is it may be easy to enter Canada or
The Dominican - Often people post here that the trouble arises when
someone tries to go home, i.e. attempts to re-enter the USA without a
passport.

For a US citizen, re-entering the US from Canada or the DR with a driver's
license and birth certificate is no problem.

miguel
--
Hit The Road! Photos from 32 countries on 5 continents: http://travel.u.nu

Old December 4th, 2004, 06:54 PM
Király

Miguel Cruz wrote:

For a US citizen, re-entering the US from Canada or the DR with a driver's
license and birth certificate is no problem.

That's true, but the OP is going to need a passport anyway. The OP had
indicated travel from Dominican Republic to Canada, and then onward to
the US.

"U.S. citizens entering Canada from a third country must have a valid
passport."

Above quoted directly from http://travel.state.gov/travel/canada.html

K.