Paris is Burning

Old October 24th, 2003, 11:14 PM
Mxsmanic

Default Paris is Burning

Karl writes:

I get the feeling that Mxsmanic doesn't know any "real" women.

Almost all of my friends are women.

Old October 25th, 2003, 12:12 AM
devil

On Wed, 22 Oct 2003 10:34:47 -0500, Billy Whistler wrote:

On Wed, 22 Oct 2003 15:04:15 GMT, "devil" wrote:

On Wed, 22 Oct 2003 09:39:26 -0500, Billy Whistler wrote:

On Sun, 19 Oct 2003 16:44:32 +0100, "Karl"
wrote:

OK, let's try again. Individuals who are racist don't tend to own up to the
fact. Statistics within a group will highlight racist hehaviour, even if
every individual in the group denies it.

Statistically, if selection of a mate was not racially biased, 12.7% of
white Americans who marry should be marrying black people. Any divergence
from that percentage needs an explanation.

Let's turn it around, Karl. I'm not sure what the percentage of white
people in the United States is, but for the sake of argument let's
just say it's 50%. Using your logic, half of all black people should
be married to white people.

Indeed. That's what you would expect from a color-blind society.

The fact that they fall way, way short of
that number must mean blacks are just that much more racist than white
people, right?

How does that follow?

Karl wants an explanation as to why 12.7% of white people aren't
married to black people, since blacks make up 12.7% of the American
population. His premise is it's due to white racism. So I want to
know why 50% of blacks aren't married to whites, since whites make up
50% or so of the American population, and if he thinks that's due to
black racism.

Thanks for restating the obvious.

Still does not make your statement follow, does it?