Anyone shopping for luggage?

Old January 31st, 2009, 02:12 PM posted to rec.travel.cruises
Brian K[_2_]

Default Anyone shopping for luggage?

On 1/27/2009 6:31 PM Goomba scrawled with a big red tube of lipstick:
I have been adding to my set of Travelpro luggage as I need pieces and
have recently found that Bloomingdales has the Crew7 model at
*excellent* prices. The prices are less than I found for the
discontinued pieces of Travelpro at Macy's.
So if you might be looking...check out the Bloomies website.
Goomba

Seeing how most airlines and some cruise lines beat the hell out of
luggage...I buy mine in Target, or BJ's Warehouse Club. A complete set
of six pieces on sale for $65.00 is easier on the pocket book than
having to replace a piece from a discontinued $400.00 plus set. I have a
two piece set I paid 30.00 at Target. I used them the first time I flew
from Newark to Key West. That was in 1997. They are still in good shape.
I gave them to my dad whose American Tourister was totally trashed on
our last trip to Minnesota. I upgraded to a no-name brand of three soft
side pieces for $45.00 at Target.

One time in MIA I saw the sturdiest and cheapest piece of luggage. It
was a double bagged Hefty Lawn and Leaf bag on a luggage carousel. The
guy had checked in ahead of me in EWR.

--
________
Brian M. Kochera
Old January 31st, 2009, 02:22 PM posted to rec.travel.cruises
Brian K[_2_]

On 1/30/2009 11:59 PM Dillon Pyron scrawled with a big red tube of
lipstick:
[Default] Thus spake Goomba :

Dillon Pyron wrote:

We used to think they were a real good deal with an excellent
warranty. Then a zipper tab broke off one of our suitcases and they
told us the nearest repair facility was in Houston and that it would
probably take two weeks.

that doesn't sound unreasonable to me.

Well, it's either drive 200 miles twice, or pay a huge shipping fee. I
think my local mail store type place quoted me $35 one way. So that
would have been $70.

Dillon,

It's too bad you don't live in NJ... In Summit, NJ there's an African
guy who repairs all brands of luggage right there on the premises. He
does a good job too. He relined an American Tourister hard side of my
mom's when the glue dried out and the lining detached. He put in a
really nice lining too. He also replaced the lock and handle with
originals from that line. Mom only had to wait 3 days for the repair.
He cannibalizes luggage that is beyond repair for parts that are no
longer made.

--
________