US Air jet in the Hudson - Any Ships Trapped?

Old January 16th, 2009, 01:46 AM posted to rec.travel.cruises
Mark (SF)

Default US Air jet in the Hudson - Any Ships Trapped?

Wonderful news that all passengers and crew from the US Air flight
that landed into the Hudson are safe.

However, being a cruise-geek I wonder about the impact to ship
traffic. I assume any departures from Manhattan (NCL?) will be
redirected to an alternate in Red Hook or Port Liberty - but are any
ships trapped in port tonight?

Also, how busy is the Hudson for commercial traffic? (I'm assuming a
submerged jet full of fuel would halt traffic)

...arresting video, though!

Mark
Old January 16th, 2009, 02:08 AM posted to rec.travel.cruises
Joyce Rachelson

Mark (SF) wrote:
Wonderful news that all passengers and crew from the US Air flight
that landed into the Hudson are safe.

However, being a cruise-geek I wonder about the impact to ship
traffic. I assume any departures from Manhattan (NCL?) will be
redirected to an alternate in Red Hook or Port Liberty - but are any
ships trapped in port tonight?

Also, how busy is the Hudson for commercial traffic? (I'm assuming a
submerged jet full of fuel would halt traffic)

..arresting video, though!

Mark

Hi Mark,

No ships in port today that I can locate. They moved the plane to lower
Manhattan and it will be lifted out and moved to a hangar to figure out
what happened.

If there had been a ship in port it would of had a bird's eye view of
the accident. It hit the water near 48th St. Right by the piers.

Hope to see you soon.

Love,
Joyce

--
"We do not see things as they are, we see things as we are." - The Talmud
"People demand the freedom of speech to make up for the freedom of
Old January 16th, 2009, 02:13 AM posted to rec.travel.cruises
Mark (SF)

On Jan 15, 6:08*pm, Joyce Rachelson
wrote:
Mark (SF) wrote:
[...]

Thanks so much, Joyce!
....and we truly hope to see you soon, too! (We'll be in town after a
brief Labor Day QM2 cruise - perhaps then)

Old January 16th, 2009, 03:02 AM posted to rec.travel.cruises
Nonnymus[_7_]

Joyce Rachelson wrote:
Mark (SF) wrote:
[...]

That pilot did a great job keeping the wings level. If one had dipped,
an engine might have hooked in the water and the plane broken up.

--
Nonny
Some people are like a Slinky: not really
Old January 16th, 2009, 03:24 AM posted to rec.travel.cruises
Joyce Rachelson

Nonnymus wrote:
Joyce Rachelson wrote:
Mark (SF) wrote:
[...]

That's an understatement, Nonny. What an absolutely amazing job of
landing a crippled bird. Still, I'm glad I don't fly until next week.
There'll be a few less birds to worry about.

JR

Old January 16th, 2009, 04:17 AM posted to rec.travel.cruises
Tom K

"Joyce Rachelson" wrote in message
Nonnymus wrote:
That pilot did a great job keeping the wings level. If one had dipped,
an engine might have hooked in the water and the plane broken up.

That's an understatement, Nonny. What an absolutely amazing job of landing
a crippled bird. Still, I'm glad I don't fly until next week. There'll be
a few less birds to worry about.

JR

I'm actually thinking that maybe, just maybe, the extreme cold might have
saved lives there today. It was only about 20 degrees here in the NYC
today. Since the plane lost both engines, I think there's a good chance
that since cold air is much more dense than warm air, the extreme cold air
dense air may have helped give the plane added lift. With losing both
engines, the plane could use all the extra lift it could get.

--Tom

Old January 16th, 2009, 05:08 AM posted to rec.travel.cruises
Orval Fairbairn[_2_]

In article , Nonnymus
wrote:

Joyce Rachelson wrote:
Mark (SF) wrote:
[...]

That's what they are trained to do!

Do you really think that they behave the same way that the stupid TV
dramas show? He made the best of a bad situation -- his only option was
the river.

Old January 16th, 2009, 03:15 PM posted to rec.travel.cruises
Tom K

"Mark (SF)" wrote in message

Thanks so much, Joyce!
...and we truly hope to see you soon, too! (We'll be in town after a
brief Labor Day QM2 cruise - perhaps then)

Going back on her again, huh? I was thinking about one of her short
sailings again this year. Is your friend still working in the Golden Lion
Pub?

--Tom

Old January 16th, 2009, 03:29 PM posted to rec.travel.cruises
Joyce Rachelson

Mark (SF) wrote:

Thanks so much, Joyce!
...and we truly hope to see you soon, too! (We'll be in town after a
brief Labor Day QM2 cruise - perhaps then)

As much as I'd love to see you, I'll be on the Prinsendam from 8/23 -
9/5. I'm doing England, Ireland, Scotland and Wales.

I hope to be in SF soon and I'll let you know when.

JR

Old January 16th, 2009, 04:24 PM posted to rec.travel.cruises
gran2496

Joyce Rachelson wrote:
Nonnymus wrote:
Joyce Rachelson wrote:
Mark (SF) wrote:
[...]

Apparently, the pilot is a licsenced glider pilot, guess that came in handy

Lola in Hamilton