US Air jet in the Hudson - Any Ships Trapped?

Old January 17th, 2009, 06:13 AM posted to rec.travel.cruises
Jean O'Boyle

Default US Air jet in the Hudson - Any Ships Trapped?

"Rosalie B." wrote in message
Kurt Ullman wrote:

In article ,
Sue Mullen wrote:

Jean O'Boyle wrote:
"Surfer E2468" wrote in message
That captain & his co-pilot should be given a heroes medal,how many
would have stayed on the plane to make sure everyone was out?

He was a retired Air Force pilot, Annie!

Who had been flying for US Air for 39 years.

sue

The stat that explained everything. He was a Purdue grad. (g).

If he had been flying USAir for 29 years, he didn't retire from the
AF. He got out of the AF.

Rosalie, that was an error on my part.. He did not retire from the US Air
Force....He attended the Air Force Academy, trained to fly fighter planes
and then after fulfilling his obligation of seven years in the Air Force, he
got out and became a civilian pilot.
What I was trying to establish is that he had great Air Force training for a
foundation and it showed when he was composed and level headed enough to
make that wonderful landing and save every single life. His crew has to be
commended highly too.

--Jean

Old January 17th, 2009, 02:34 PM posted to rec.travel.cruises
Rosalie B.

"Jean O'Boyle" wrote:
"Rosalie B." wrote in message
.. .
Kurt Ullman wrote:

In article ,
Sue Mullen wrote:

Jean O'Boyle wrote:
[...]

He did a good job.

My daughter also went to the USAFA although she didn't fly jets - she
flew something like a King Air. She did have to make a single engine
landing once, and they all came out to see if she would screw it up
and do a ground loop, but she didn't. She is now a civilian pilot for
AA.

But my husband was a Navy pilot for 20 years and he DID retire from
the Navy. He had to make the choice as to whether to get out and fly
civilian or to stay in until retirement because after 20 years the
airlines think you are too old and won't hire you. He picked to stay
in.

He said that he has had to make a no-engine landing where, when he
turned his landing lights on he flew into a flock of gulls and lost
all four engines on a P3 (which is a turbo prop). He was on final
approach so he said he just went on and landed. He said it was more
of a problem when all of the generators failed as he was landing an
S2F.

Old January 17th, 2009, 04:20 PM posted to rec.travel.cruises
[email protected]

Just some quick comment. Even if ships were in port they would
probably sailed as scheduled. The area that the plane ditched was
north - toward George Washington bridge. It stopped in the water North
of the pier and Intrepid then rather quickly floated towards and past
ships piers while being guided toward Battery Park seawall area.
Currents in the river are fast!

The initial area of ditching was one of busiest water ferry areas,
Manhattan to NJ which is why so many ferry's could respond as fast as
they did. They were manned and ready for rush hour home.

I live in suburbs and not real fond of NY City, over priced and over
rated in my book, EXCEPT in one area, Emergency services. If you ever
have an accident, heart attack, whatever try to have it in NY City.
There is no better equipped, faster responding, or better trained
emergency services anywhere in the world. Two woman went into the
water, one almost slipping away when NYPD divers hit the water. Where
else could produce a helicopter with suited cold water divers dropping
off it within 8 minutes?

Now I heard on TV and also searched for information the following
which appears correct. There has NEVER been a successful COMMERCIAL
airliner ditching in history of flight. Not talking about going off
runway at LGA of smaller aircraft ditching. Talking about a massive
jetliner ditching with out breaking up and loss of life. That is yet
another reason this pilots ditching is historic.

George in NY
Old January 17th, 2009, 04:31 PM posted to rec.travel.cruises
Sue Mullen

Rosalie B. wrote:

But my husband was a Navy pilot for 20 years and he DID retire from
the Navy. He had to make the choice as to whether to get out and fly
civilian or to stay in until retirement because after 20 years the
airlines think you are too old and won't hire you. He picked to stay
in.

The airlines also force their pilots to retire when they turn 60 yrs old.

This pilot is 57 years of and it was because of his years of experience
that he and all his passengers survived. What a shame that in 3 yrs he
will be forced to retire.

sue
Old January 17th, 2009, 04:40 PM posted to rec.travel.cruises
Ray Goldenberg Ray Goldenberg is offline
Banned

On Sat, 17 Jan 2009 11:31:09 -0500, Sue Mullen
wrote:

The airlines also force their pilots to retire when they turn 60 yrs old.

This pilot is 57 years of and it was because of his years of experience
that he and all his passengers survived. What a shame that in 3 yrs he
will be forced to retire.

Hi Sue,

As a clarification, President Bush signed a bill back in 2007 that
allows U.S. pilots to fly until they are 65.

Best regards,
Ray
LIGHTHOUSE TRAVEL
800-719-9917 or 805-566-3905
http://www.lighthousetravel.com
Old January 17th, 2009, 05:03 PM posted to rec.travel.cruises
Sue Mullen

wrote:

The airlines also force their pilots to retire when they turn 60 yrs old.

This pilot is 57 years of and it was because of his years of experience
that he and all his passengers survived. What a shame that in 3 yrs he
will be forced to retire.

Hi Sue,

As a clarification, President Bush signed a bill back in 2007 that
allows U.S. pilots to fly until they are 65.

Ray,

This may be true, but the commercial airlines still insist on retirement
at age 60. A very close friends son-in-law recently turned 60 and was
forced to retire. I think he has been doing some non-commercial flights,
but am not sure about that.

sue
Old January 17th, 2009, 05:31 PM posted to rec.travel.cruises
Ray Goldenberg Ray Goldenberg is offline
Banned

On Sat, 17 Jan 2009 12:03:13 -0500, Sue Mullen
wrote:

This may be true, but the commercial airlines still insist on retirement
at age 60. A very close friends son-in-law recently turned 60 and was
forced to retire. I think he has been doing some non-commercial flights,
but am not sure about that.

Hi Sue,

I don't think this is true of all commercial airlines but I am not an
expert on this subject. I do know some of the Pilot's unions were
against the law being passed to allow pilots to fly past 60 which I
found very strange. Maybe this incident will enlighten any airline
which does have a mandatory age 60 retirement to rethink the policy.

Old January 17th, 2009, 07:40 PM posted to rec.travel.cruises
Sue Mullen

wrote:

This may be true, but the commercial airlines still insist on retirement
at age 60. A very close friends son-in-law recently turned 60 and was
forced to retire. I think he has been doing some non-commercial flights,
but am not sure about that.

Hi Sue,

I don't think this is true of all commercial airlines but I am not an
expert on this subject. I do know some of the Pilot's unions were
against the law being passed to allow pilots to fly past 60 which I
found very strange. Maybe this incident will enlighten any airline
which does have a mandatory age 60 retirement to rethink the policy.

I will ask my friend next time we talk, but I think her SIL would still
be flying commercial if he could.

They should rethink the forced retirement and could insist on health and
performance checks more frequently after age 60 to be sure the pilots
are still ok to fly.

sue
Old January 17th, 2009, 10:33 PM posted to rec.travel.cruises
MTV

wrote:

[...]

It's been approved by the FAA to 65 according to our newspaper.
Unions against it? They have more members without it, eh?

Marv
Old January 17th, 2009, 11:05 PM posted to rec.travel.cruises
Surfer E2468

He is still a hero in our eyes

cruise lover(~~~~~)

..