The Mother of All Single Supplements

Old January 28th, 2009, 08:46 AM posted to rec.travel.cruises
Brian K[_2_]

Default The Mother of All Single Supplements

On 1/23/2009 2:51 PM Nonnymus scrawled with a big red tube of lipstick:
Tom K wrote:

However... for the sailing you mentioned, I think one of my friends
said it's a "Spanish Immersion" sailing or some term like that. It's
marketed almost exclusively to locals, if I understood correctly.
You could probably expect like 90-95% Spanish speaking passengers on
board. The announcements, shows, and everything else might even be
in Spanish.

. . . sounds like a visit to Los Angeles, Phoenix or most of Texas.

About 60% of Mt. Etna in Pittsburgh is Spanish speaking and they have
some great "living room" Mexican restaurants as well.

--
________
Brian M. Kochera
Old January 28th, 2009, 08:48 AM posted to rec.travel.cruises
Brian K[_2_]

On 1/23/2009 4:05 PM Tom K scrawled with a big red tube of lipstick:
"Nonnymus" wrote in message

Tom K wrote:

However... for the sailing you mentioned, I think one of my friends said
it's a "Spanish Immersion" sailing or some term like that. It's marketed
almost exclusively to locals, if I understood correctly. You could
probably expect like 90-95% Spanish speaking passengers on board. The
announcements, shows, and everything else might even be in Spanish.

. . . sounds like a visit to Los Angeles, Phoenix or most of Texas.

Or Miami

Or, Elizabeth NJ There's a few really good Tapas Bars in Elizabeth.

--
________
Old January 28th, 2009, 09:07 AM posted to rec.travel.cruises
Brian K[_2_]

On 1/24/2009 8:29 AM George Leppla scrawled with a big red tube of
lipstick:

"Harry Jones" wrote in message
This is exactly the point I brought up in my posting of 1/21,
Cruising Solo at a Double Discount.

If the cruise lines want to try pulling this, I will simply book it
as a double and show up at the dock
explaining that my travel companion got lost changing airplanes in
Chicago. I got no replies to
my original posting, so Ray or the other experts were not able to
tell me if the cruise line would
try and deny me boarding.

In your question, you pre-supposed that two people in a cabin would
find a promo rate that would not be offered to a single traveler based
on you pricing it online. I'm not saying that would never happen,
but it would be extremely rare... in fact, in over 15 years of booking
cruises, I have never seen it. What happens is that many promos are
set for double occupancy and when you enter 1 passenger, the res
system will not allow that. In real life, a travel agent (or you) can
call the cruise line and get that manually entered. I have seen that
many times.

In addition, with the new pre-cruise registration, you will have to
come up with a complete ID for the second person (including passport
in many cases). I don't know many people willing to let someone use
their passport number for a fictitious trip.

However, let's assume that you do find one of these and book it under
false pretenses. When you arrive solo at the dock, the other person
becomes a cancellation... and your booking becomes a "single". The
cruise can re-price your booking on the spot and make you pay any
additional fees. (They will smile and mention that your travel
insurance will cover your loss). THIS kind of thing is getting more
and more prevalent... people booking "regional", senior, military or
other promotional rates fraudulently are showing up at the dock and
being asked to provide proof that they qualify for the promotion. If
they can't, they pay the difference.

A few years ago one rather large travel agency was caught booking all
their reservations at senior rates when applicable. They got away
with it for a while until the cruise line caught on and started
charging the difference at the pier. Big outcry. Lots of threats of
lawsuits. End of that program.

One cruiseline now routinely marks their documents with something like
"This reservation was made using a special rate. Please be able to
prove residency/age/status for this promotion when you check in" or
words to that effect.

After 9/11 my friend Stan and I were pre-booked for an AI in Playa del
Carmen. At the day we were to meet at the then Newark International
Airport, I got a call on my cell. Stan wasn't coming. He said that he
just couldn't get it together to fly. I didn't know what was going to
happen at the AI when I arrived. So, I told the truth. I was not
charged extra or a single supplement. The overhead light switch in my
Garden View room shorted out in the ON position. I called the front
desk; they sent someone to disable the light so I could get some sleep.
The following morning, they gave me a choice of two ocean view Jr. Suites.

But these were rare times after 9/11. It was also off season in late
October, and one whole side of one wing was empty. I was not afraid to
fly. Part of terrorists actions are to inflict terror by doing something
that no one expected. I knew that they wouldn't try to hijack a plane
and try to use it as a weapon. When they struck again it would be
something different. Besides I wasn't about to let them keep me from
visiting Mexico, I had planned that vacation well in advance. I intended
to take it. It was too bad Stan opted out. I had a great time and met
many wonderful European people.

--
________
Old January 28th, 2009, 09:17 AM posted to rec.travel.cruises
Brian K[_2_]

On 1/27/2009 1:24 AM Dillon Pyron scrawled with a big red tube of
lipstick:
[Default] Thus spake Ray Goldenberg :

On Fri, 23 Jan 2009 09:06:03 -0500, (Sue Ann) wrote:

Nothing prepared me for the following quote directly from RCI

Hi SueAnn,

You should contact a travel agent that specializes in cruises. I just
looked and there were lower prices for singles than you were provided
by the cruise line agent. Have you priced out what air will cost you
for a short notice flight to Colon? It might be somewhat shocking.
%+)

Just priced it out of Austin. I can do it for only $1879.50. Or do
you call that shocking these days? Oh yeah, $25 first bag fee, $15
second bag. $3 soda. $5.50 mushy sandwich. $4 lice free pillow. $4
headphones, or bring your own. $.15 a sheet toilet paper (although
ladies get the first ten sheets at half price). But don't worry, if
oil goes below $9/bbl, they'll retfund their fuel surcharge.

In my experience you are permitted to bring food past security. It's
just liquids that are prohibited. That's why I always stop at the
Italian Deli on the way to the airport. I either bring a sub, or a
Calzone I have the flight attendant reheat in the micro for me. You
don't have to settle for a mushy sandwich. If Italian isn't your thing,
there are lots of other options.

--
________
Brian M. Kochera
"The poor dog is the firmest friend, the first to welcome the foremost to defend" - Lord Byron
View My Web Page:
http://home.earthlink.net/~brian1951