What happened to Flight 3407

Old February 20th, 2009, 04:10 AM posted to rec.travel.air
[email protected]

Default What happened to Flight 3407

Here is what I think happened:

The plane was on autopilot until the last moments of the flight.
There was icing, but the deicing equipment was working and the icing
did not cause the fatal stall.

However, what it did do was reduce the lift that the wings were able
to generate at a given speed. My theory is that the autopilot did not
compensate adequately for this and that when the flaps were down and
the plane slowed for its approach, it was dangerously close to
stalling. The stall warning system went off and dropped the nose, at
the same time disengaging the autopilot. For some reason, the pilot
panicked and pulled the stick up, and that action actually caused the
staff. At that point the plane was only about 1500 feet up and there
was not enough time/altitude to recover.

This theory could be totally off-base, but it could explain a lot. It
is not really my theory in its entirety; it has started appearing in
some news venues. What I added was the idea that there was icing that
the autopilot did not adequately compensate for, and that is what led
to the stall alarm. The pilot's reaction then caused the fatal stall.