Portland, OR ideas

Old February 13th, 2007, 04:42 PM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
Mimi

Default Portland, OR ideas

"Dennis P. Harris" wrote in message
On Mon, 12 Feb 2007 00:34:29 GMT in rec.travel.usa-canada, "Bill
in Schenectady" wrote:

We will arrive in Portland on June 27 and leave Portland for Glacier
National Park (and ultimate trip back home) on July 6. So that's ten
days,
including arrival and departure day.

We don't intend to rent a car immediately, but would like to stay a
couple
of days in Portland without a car. After that, we'll do a slow loop
around
the Columbia River Gorge, with side trips to interesting areas. Figure
that
we'll rent a car for a week of the ten days.

if you have that long, and you want to range south, remember that
the oregon shakespeare festival in aspen has performances almost
every day, and there are lots of associated performances and
activities. this could work with a coastal trip that returns to
portland via crater lake...

Uh, not quite so far south as Aspen. You meant Ashland.

Marianne

Old February 13th, 2007, 05:49 PM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
[email protected]

Bill in Schenectady wrote:

I'd love to get ideas of things not to miss in Portland. We are a family of
four with two teenaged girls. By the way, we are not shoppers....even the
women of the family...unless it's really unusual.

You are probably getting overwhelmed with ideas by now, but I don't
think anyone has mentioned Mount St. Helens, which could be done as a
lengthy day trip from Portland.

All this talk has made me realize I need to spend more time in Portland
(I live near Seattle).

Old February 14th, 2007, 12:15 AM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
Ad absurdum per aspera

We'll probably spend a couple of days in Portland before moving on to spend most of our visit
in and around the Columbia River Gorge.

If epic works of engineering are of interest, be sure to tour
Bonneville Dam (http://www.nwp.usace.army.mil/op/b/home.asp). The
nearby fish hatchery is educational and has Herman the Sturgeon and
some "smaller" (relatively speaking) examples of the mighty Columbia's
biggest fish (http://www.dfw.state.or.us/hatchery/bonneville.htm).
This is accessible by Gray Line tour bus, among other means.

Some ideas re the Hood River area:
http://www.traveloregon.com/Explore-...ver-Gorge.aspx

There are large areas of backcountry that most people don't get to
(dunno how woodsy you and your are, or how heavily you will be
traveling). Just a few examples:
http://www.nps.gov/joda/planyourvisit/directions.htm
http://www.oregon.com/trips/craterlake.cfm
and links therein.

Note carefully the descriptions of each suggested activity: a lot of
Oregon is the sort of country where a "rigorous" or "strenuous" and/or
"technical" activity may be presumed to be Not for the Tenderfoot.
Also, I missed the previous thread and thus don't know when you plan
to take this trip, but the character, types of activities, and even
the outright possibility of the outdoorsy stuff can be very dependent
on weather and season.

Just a few suggestions regarding a part of the country where you could
spend days, weeks, or months...

Enjoy your trip,
--Joe

Old February 14th, 2007, 03:42 AM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
Kay Lancaster

if you have that long, and you want to range south, remember that
the oregon shakespeare festival in aspen has performances almost

^^^^^ Ashland. Near Crater Lake,
and almost on the border with California, on I-5.

Kay

Old February 14th, 2007, 03:42 AM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
Kay Lancaster

even for books? i always set aside a half day for powell's
bookstore, a full block x 4? 5? stories of books, new and used,
complete with in-store coffee bar. great way to spend a rainy
day.

Or an evening when you're a little tired.

a drive up the columbia gorge to hood river is a great day drive
if you take the old highway along the top and stop at the
viewpoint (can't remember the name). hood river seems to be the
busiest windsurfing spot in the west, great fun to watch the
sailboarders.

Crown Point Vista House. And there's a small park about a mile closer
to Troutdale on the Historic Highway that's got some nice view spots:
http://www.viamagazine.com/top_stori...columbia03.asp
http://www.oregon.gov/ODOT/HWY/HCRH/

And here's a link for the gorge bike map:
http://www.oregon.gov/ODOT/HWY/HCRH/...CRHbikemap.pdf

If you want to get farther off the gorge (and into some possibly
hot weather), consider the John Day area in the high desert-- John
Day Wild and Scenic River and John Day Fossil Beds
http://www.nps.gov/joda/ (Clarno and Painted Hills have some wonderful
geology, and fine views)
http://www.canoekayak.com/destinatio...ernus/johnday/
There's also an area in Fossil, OR (near John Day) where you can dig
your own fossils, mostly leaves --
http://www.a2zgorge.info/community/towns/fossil.htm

Kay

Our interests include museums, unique parks and views, hiking, perhaps bike
rentals if there are good bike trails.

the rose garden is really a don't-miss if you like flowers at
all. such a great variety of roses, and it overlooks downtown.

the oregon museum of science & industry always has exhibits for
kids of all ages, many of them interactive.

portland is also the home of the movie theatre/pizza brewpub. one
of the local brewpub chains owns a couple of movie theaters where
they took out half the seats & installed tables. you buy your
ticket, walk in, order your pizza, get your pitcher or pint, and
place the little numbered sign for your pizza order at the end of
your aisle when you sit down. they bring the pizza to your seat.
something for your kids to enjoy (minus beer) if they're showing
an appropriate flick.

the lloyd center has a nice ice rink in the middle of a shopping
mall, if your kids like to skate. and the public transportation
in portland is pretty good, especially the MAXX light rail
system.

Old February 14th, 2007, 05:40 PM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
Bill in Schenectady

wrote in message
ups.com...
On Feb 11, 3:28 pm, "Bill in Schenectady" wrote:
I had previously asked about things to do and see in Seattle. Well, our
trip plans have changed and instead of taking Amtrak to Seattle, we will
disembark in Portland. We'll probably spend a couple of days in Portland
before moving on to spend most of our visit in and around the Columbia
River
Gorge.

I'd love to get ideas of things not to miss in Portland. We are a family
of
four with two teenaged girls. By the way, we are not shoppers....even
the
women of the family...unless it's really unusual.

Our interests include museums, unique parks and views, hiking, perhaps
bike
rentals if there are good bike trails.

Thanks.
--

Downtown Portland is a free fare zone, that is the buses and trains
are free in the downtown area. Don't miss Powells Books, the largest
independent book store in the country. Jakes Seafood is close and not
to be missed, especially for it's happy hour specials.
Take the bus across the river to the Hawthorne District, where all the
old hippies have become capitalists. Further up is Mount Tabor, the
only volcano within a city limit. Don't worry it is extinct, but great
for hiking.
Huber's is the oldest restaurant in Portland, famous for it's flaming
drinks and turkey is big on the menu. Al Amir is great Lebanese
cooking in a historical building. For wonderful Northwest cuisine may
I suggest Lucy's Table?
There are seven bridges crossing the river and each one is a
different type. The River Walk goes by many of them is a great little
hike. The Spirit of Portland is ship that does a tour of the river and
is the best way to see and understand the river. There is also a jet
boat that does the river and goes all the way to the falls. Not for
wussies.
Portland is very low crime, you should feel safe in any neighborhood.
One thing different from most cities is that you will see no grafitti.
First Thursday of every month is the day when the local artists are
on display. Go to the Pearl District and enjoy the carnival
atmosphere.
Fit in with locals by not dressing up and never carry an umbrella.
Also, the river is the Multnomah pronounced mult-no-mah.
Portland is a very bike friendly city, nearly evry road has a bike
path, perhaps you might rent them.
Trivia: Portland was almost named Boston. A flip of a coin made the
decision and that coin is diplayed in some museum downtown.

Interesting post. I've been told that it never rains in Portland in the
summer. So I don't believe we'll need umbrellas. Besides, we're packing
light with gear intended for hiking, including rain shells.

Old February 14th, 2007, 05:44 PM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
Bill in Schenectady

"MadHatter" wrote in message
oups.com...
[...]

What have you got planned in the Gorge?

Not fully planned yet. We'll have about a week and will probably do a long
loop and stay in different places so that we do not have a great deal of
driving in any given day.

I'd like to go rafting on one day, lots of hiking (and I have guidance
documents with lots of ideas), perhaps a bicycle tour if we can rent bikes
someplace and have some off road paved trails, certainly a winery tour,
watching the wind surfers, perhaps a flat water kayak day.

I already have about a half a foot of paper to wade through. As one poster
mentioned, someone has to support the forest industry!

Old February 14th, 2007, 05:45 PM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
Bill in Schenectady

"Dennis P. Harris" wrote in message
On 13 Feb 2007 03:42:06 GMT in rec.travel.usa-canada, Kay
Lancaster wrote:

Don't know if the Elvis museum is still around but it may be. Very
odd place.

No, no, no! it's the 24 hour CHURCH of Elvis! but according to
the web site, it's no longer open. apparently the landlord
raised the rent...

http://www.24hourchurchofelvis.com/

I've never been a member of the Elvis fan club. But if it was there, it
just may be weird enough to generate some interest.

Old February 14th, 2007, 05:47 PM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
Bill in Schenectady

"Dennis P. Harris" wrote in message
On Sun, 11 Feb 2007 23:28:13 GMT in rec.travel.usa-canada, "Bill
in Schenectady" wrote:

[...]

I thought Portland has no rainy days in the summer! And yes, the family
does like book stores. Last year, we spent a week in Boston and a major
highlight for the kids was an afternoon at the Harvard Coop.

Thanks for the ideas.