car + certificate of roadworthiness

Old February 12th, 2007, 07:41 AM posted to rec.travel.australia+nz
Florian Neumann

Default car + certificate of roadworthiness

Hi there,

I intend to go to Australia (Victoria) in April and stay there for six
months. Of course, I'll need a car then. To get an impression of the
price levels, I've been searching the australian eBay for cars. Most of
the cheaper ones don't have a certificate of roadworthiness.
If a car is in a average condition, how much do I have to spent on this
certificate? I heard that it "depends on the car". Does this refer to
the condition of the car or to the type of car (van, station wagon,
roadster, ...)?

Every bit of information would be helpful for me!

Thank you,
Florian (from Germany)
Old February 12th, 2007, 12:49 PM posted to rec.travel.australia+nz
A Mate

If it's sold without a Certificate of Roadworthiness (or Safety Certificate
as it's called in some States) the vehicle can not be registered legally.
If you want to register - you must spend whatever is required in the way of
tyres, parts and labour - to make it roadworthy or safe. It depends on the
car's mechanical condition.

The Certificate does not mean a car is good mechanical condition - just that
it is not a danger to the driver or other road users. It might still be an
unreliable wreck!

Always get a reliable mechanic (or the RACV) to inspect and report on any
vehicle you're considering buying.

"Florian Neumann" wrote in message
Hi there,

I intend to go to Australia (Victoria) in April and stay there for six
months. Of course, I'll need a car then. To get an impression of the price
levels, I've been searching the australian eBay for cars. Most of the
cheaper ones don't have a certificate of roadworthiness.
If a car is in a average condition, how much do I have to spent on this
certificate? I heard that it "depends on the car". Does this refer to the
condition of the car or to the type of car (van, station wagon, roadster,
...)?

Old February 12th, 2007, 10:07 PM posted to rec.travel.australia+nz
Florian Neumann

Hi Mate,
thanks for these informations!
Florian

Old February 13th, 2007, 12:08 AM posted to rec.travel.australia+nz
Roger

"A Mate" wrote in message
If it's sold without a Certificate of Roadworthiness (or Safety
Certificate as it's called in some States) the vehicle can not be
registered legally. If you want to register - you must spend whatever is
required in the way of tyres, parts and labour - to make it roadworthy or
safe. It depends on the car's mechanical condition.

The Certificate does not mean a car is good mechanical condition - just
that it is not a danger to the driver or other road users. It might still
be an unreliable wreck!

Always get a reliable mechanic (or the RACV) to inspect and report on any
vehicle you're considering buying.

Bear in mind that if the vehicle has number plates still fitted its an
offence for
someone to offer it for sale without a road worthy certificate. Often a good
bargaining point to reduce the vehicle by a few thousand $s.

The pre purchase inspections that the RACV do are well worth the money,
its insurance that is dirt cheap if you dont want a lemon - I think they
offer a
warranty on their inspections as well - check through their website.

Before buying you should also check the Register of encumbered vehicles -
REV's basically a list of vehicles that banks or finance companies "own"
until
the person pays out the loan. They can and do repossess vehicles which
have been illegally sold to people who dont check this register.

The Vicroads website will give you a lot of detail on buying a vehicle in
Victoria.

Common error overseas buyers make is confusing compulsory third party
insurance and third party insurance - the CTP is paid with your registration
and only covers injuries not damage to property. TP is bought separately
and covers porperty damage - you can buy comprehensive, TP fire and theft.