Ground transportation options from LAX to San Diego (Old Town or Gaslamp District)

Old October 16th, 2003, 09:46 AM
Traveler

Default Ground transportation options from LAX to San Diego (Old Town or Gaslamp District)

Other than renting a car, what are the ground transportation options from
LAX to a central San Diego district, such as Old Town or the Gaslamp
District?
I think there is a rather cumbersome Amtrak option. Is there a reasonably
workable Greyhound solution (possibly in combination with public transit)?
Is there any service like SuperShuttle for this route? How about other
options? What would you recommend?

Traveler

Old October 16th, 2003, 12:43 PM
James Robinson

Traveler wrote:

Other than renting a car, what are the ground transportation options from
LAX to a central San Diego district, such as Old Town or the Gaslamp
District?
I think there is a rather cumbersome Amtrak option. Is there a reasonably
workable Greyhound solution (possibly in combination with public transit)?
Is there any service like SuperShuttle for this route? How about other
options? What would you recommend?

Amtrak isn't that cumbersome, since there are non-stop buses
(Metropolitan Express) between LAX and Union Station. They pick up on
the arrivals level. The trains also avoid the highway, which can be
very congested at certain times of the day. The service is relatively
frequent, with something like a dozen trains a day each way. I would
certainly pick Amtrak over Greyhound.

Limo/shuttle services are available from companies like Olympic or
Xpress for something like $100 to $200 each way, with $170 the typical
price. They quote travel time at 4 or 5 hours.
Old October 16th, 2003, 06:57 PM
Don Howe

"James Robinson" wrote in message
Traveler wrote:

[...]

I will second Amtrak as the most sensible. It comes out way ahead when you
compare it to the Security delays (crap) at airports, the Congestion on the
Hi-ways and the Confines of a bus.

Old October 17th, 2003, 03:34 AM
Traveler

"James Robinson" wrote in message
[snip]
Amtrak isn't that cumbersome, since there are non-stop buses
(Metropolitan Express) between LAX and Union Station. They pick up on
the arrivals level. The trains also avoid the highway, which can be
very congested at certain times of the day. The service is relatively
frequent, with something like a dozen trains a day each way. I would
certainly pick Amtrak over Greyhound.

OK, this sounds better than I thought.

Limo/shuttle services are available from companies like Olympic or
Xpress for something like $100 to $200 each way, with $170 the typical
price. They quote travel time at 4 or 5 hours.

I doubt I will take this option, but it's good to know about.

Thanks for the information.

Traveler

Old October 17th, 2003, 03:42 AM
BFSON

I take that train all the time. They are now using the Superliners so you sit
one story up and get to see much more. Be sure to sit on the right side of the
train (facing the front if you are southbound-you'll get amazing views of the
water from San Clemente south) They also have a first class car (they call it
custom class) for a few $$ more. More leg room, free newspaper or juice on some
trains.
Old October 17th, 2003, 06:37 AM
 @X.

On Thu, 16 Oct 2003 08:46:10 GMT, "Traveler"
wrote:

Other than renting a car, what are the ground transportation options from
LAX to a central San Diego district, such as Old Town or the Gaslamp
District?
I think there is a rather cumbersome Amtrak option. Is there a reasonably
workable Greyhound solution (possibly in combination with public transit)?
Is there any service like SuperShuttle for this route? How about other
options? What would you recommend?

I have used both Amtrak and Greyhound and I consider neither ideal but
both workable. Really it depends on your priorities.

Greyhound is cheapest at about $25 round trip. Believe it or not it
can be the fastest too, if everything works out right...... though LA
traffic can change that equation dramatically. The down sides are
this. Slightly harder to reach via public transportation for someone
unaccustomed to using public transportation. Easy enough for someone
who is comfortable on public transportation though. The Greyhound
station is in a very "bad" neighborhood. I have no concern about my
personal safety there but I would hesitate to send my mother there.
If you are accustomed to big US cities you should be fine. If you are
from the midwest or Europe you could find danger in the Greyhound
station neighborhood. Personally it does not bother me but many it
would. Also Greyhound buses attract some unsavory travelers from time
to time though I've also met some of the nicest people on the trip.
Many Mexican passengers and some of them are very friendly if you say
hello.

Amtrak is the classier and more comfortable option. Cost is more than
twice the Greyhound fare at about $55 round trip. Amtrak will be more
comfortable for more timid travelers. The travel time is longer than
Greyhound on a good day but is consistent if you have to catch a
flight and can be much faster than Greyhound on a bad day. Public
transportation to Union station is not completely simple but easy for
someone accustomed to public transportation and manageable for someone
unaccustomed to riding busses.

Both of the stations are poorly located. North east of LAX. It will
probably take you an hour and 15 minutes to reach either and you will
be traveling away from San Diego in the process. There are busses to
both but I prefer to take the Metro Subway/light rail myself because
it is about the same time and avoids traffic hassles. Amtrack Union
station can be reached entirely by rail from the airport shuttle drop
off point. Take the free airport shuttle to the Green line station.
Buy your tickets and transfers. then take the Green line to the blue
line. Get off and board the north bound blue line until you reach the
red line. For Greyhound exit here. For Amtrak board the red line
subway to Union station. For greyhound board the east bound bus 66 to
the Greyhound station. This is the bad neighborhood by the way.

Either option will arrive in Downtown San Diego. Both are immediately
ajacent to the San Diego trolley which will take you directly to Old
town. Or very easily to Gas lamp with only a single change of
trolleys. San Diego is a piece of cake.

I would not attempt either journey based only on this post. I have
left out many important details to keep it short. Also since I do not
use the busses from LAX to Amtrak or Greyhound in LAX I have omitted
that but it is a very good option as well. I will leave it to others
to fill in those details.

Other options exist for the advanced traveler such as metro rail to
Greyhound in either Compton or to Long Beach which shortens the trip
but has far les frequent scheduling.

If you have a preference, let me know and I will try to fill in the
details.
Old October 18th, 2003, 05:03 AM
Ken Ishiguro

"Traveler" wrote in message
Other than renting a car, what are the ground transportation options from
LAX to a central San Diego district, such as Old Town or the Gaslamp
District?
I think there is a rather cumbersome Amtrak option. Is there a reasonably
workable Greyhound solution (possibly in combination with public transit)?
Is there any service like SuperShuttle for this route? How about other
options? What would you recommend?

If you're going in the near future, the MTA is currently on strike. Some of
the bus and shuttle lines to Union Station are still running, and of course
any private service is unaffected (but probably crowded). Amtrak and
MetroRail are running as usual.

Check on the strike status before you travel.

Ken Ishiguro