Skiing in Eastern Canada (at Xmas)

Old November 7th, 2003, 10:01 PM
Englishmum

Default Skiing in Eastern Canada (at Xmas)

We were planning to go skiing at Whistler at Christmas but will probably
have to scrap that idea; our eldest is at college in London and we have
to re-book her flight as she now has an exam on 18th December and wants
to fly to Newark on the 21st (then she's off to the French Alps for New
Year with her French godmother).

We have to re-think our plans and put off Whistler until half-term
in February. One possibility is to drive from our house in New
Jersey up to the ski resorts in Eastern Canada and maybe spend a day
or two in Montreal.

Does anyone know what the ski resorts are like in the Montreal area? Apres-
ski fun things to do? Do they have snow-making machines if there isn't
much snow? (I'm a nervous skiier, still prefer the easy slopes and the
rest of the family are good intermediates).

I would be grateful for any suggestions! Thank you in advance.

Old November 8th, 2003, 05:37 AM
John Ramsay

Englishmum wrote:

[...]

Excellent skiing in the Laurentians north of Montreal.

St Agathe, St Jovite, Mont Tremblant, etc.

Good skiing in the Gatineaus just north of Ottawa.

Also good skiing in the Blue Mountains, Collingwood
just north of Toronto.

Old November 8th, 2003, 06:16 AM
Peter L

"Englishmum" wrote in message

We were planning to go skiing at Whistler at Christmas but will probably
have to scrap that idea; our eldest is at college in London and we have
to re-book her flight as she now has an exam on 18th December and wants
to fly to Newark on the 21st (then she's off to the French Alps for New
Year with her French godmother).

We have to re-think our plans and put off Whistler until half-term
in February. One possibility is to drive from our house in New
Jersey up to the ski resorts in Eastern Canada and maybe spend a day
or two in Montreal.

There are ski resorts right in the US, why drive all the way to Canada?

Old November 8th, 2003, 05:34 PM
Mike from Ottawa

On Fri, 07 Nov 2003 22:01:07 +0000, Englishmum
wrote:

snip
We have to re-think our plans and put off Whistler until half-term
in February. One possibility is to drive from our house in New
Jersey up to the ski resorts in Eastern Canada and maybe spend a day
or two in Montreal.

I live just down the road from Montreal. I only wish we had the same
concern over food quality as they do in Montreal. It's hard to find a
bad restaurant.

Does anyone know what the ski resorts are like in the Montreal area? Apres-
ski fun things to do? Do they have snow-making machines if there isn't
much snow? (I'm a nervous skiier, still prefer the easy slopes and the
rest of the family are good intermediates).

I would be grateful for any suggestions! Thank you in advance.

Montreal has a lot of good slopes nearby. North are the Laurentian
Hills, and south are the Eastern Townships.

Laurentians:
Gray Rocks
Saint-Sauveur
Tremblant

Tremblant is 120 km north of Montreal, with 92 runs, 11 lifts and a
vertical of 2131'. It's had a lot development over the last several
years, and has something for everyone. Here's their website:
http://tremblant.com/index.htm

I've heard a lot of people rave about Gray Rocks
(http://www.grayrocks.com/), although I haven't been there yet. It's
75 minutes from Montreal.

There are other hills around Montreal, but the above are best known.

Saint-Sauveur is also very popular.
http://www.montsaintsauveur.com/page...witchlang=true

Eastern Townships:
Bromont
Owl's Head
Orford
Sutton

Take a look at
http://www.bonjourquebec.com/anglais...ns_estrie.html

I don't know of any of these hills that doesn't already have
snow-making equipment.

---
Mike from Ottawa
Old November 8th, 2003, 05:47 PM
TheNewsGuy(Mike)

On Fri, 7 Nov 2003 22:16:10 -0800, "Peter L"

Does anyone know what the ski resorts are like in the Montreal area?

Apres-
ski fun things to do? Do they have snow-making machines if there isn't
much snow? (I'm a nervous skiier, still prefer the easy slopes and the
rest of the family are good intermediates).

I highly recommend Mont. Tremblant. Same company that runs
Whistler/Blackcomb. Stay on the hill at the Condos. Ski in - ski
out. No car needed all week. Steps from the lifts, its like a little
European like town. http://www.tremblant.ca/lodging/
Great selection of runs - easy to hard, after ski activities, snow
making etc. We really enjoyed a week there a few years ago.
Therer are cheaper places but IMHO this is the tops in the east.

There is also Killington Vt. which is also great skiing. But less
charm.

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
+ The News Guy(Mike) - Seinfeld Lists
+ (two mirrored sites)
+ http://membres.lycos.fr/tnguym
+ http://waveprohosting.com/tnguym
+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
Old November 8th, 2003, 10:15 PM
Steve S

On Fri, 7 Nov 2003 22:16:10 -0800, "Peter L"

Does anyone know what the ski resorts are like in the Montreal area?

Apres-
ski fun things to do? Do they have snow-making machines if there isn't
much snow? (I'm a nervous skiier, still prefer the easy slopes and the
rest of the family are good intermediates).

******************

I would recommend Quebec City. About 2 hours east of Montreal. Great
skiing at Mont Ste Anne or Stoneham. We stayed at the Canadian Pacific
(now Fairmont) Chateau Frontenac (It's the castle on the home page at
www.fairmont.com ) located within the old Walled city and
Fortifications. Walk the narrow streets lined with bars and cafes and
with a light snow falling, the atmosphere, it's so European. Just
nothing else like it in North America. Its not a replica of an old
world village like Tremblant. This is the real thing. A lot of the
building have been here since the 1600's.

Usually plenty of snow on the hills by Christmas but they do make it
too. Quebec City is large (600,000+) and modern once you are outside
of the old Walled city. Its about 20 minutes by 4 lane highway right
to the lifts at Mont Ste Anne. Stoneham is about the same distance
north of the city.

There is a good variety of runs at Mont Ste Anne. Anyone can take the
Gondola to the top then ski down on an easy 5km (3 mile) to the
bottom.

www.mont-ste-anne.com

To give you an idea of the distance, we drove from Portland Maine in
about 5 hours (so about 7 from Boston, 9 from NYC)

Steve